Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Warden Pet Controls on Gamepad

AzuraFan
AzuraFan
✭✭✭✭✭
I know there's a way to control the warden pet when using a gamepad. Occasionally the tip on a loading screen tells you how to do it, but it flashes by too quickly. I found instructions for a PS4 controller, but I use an XBOX controller.

I know that heavy attack directs the bear to attack the target, but how do you tell the bear to attack without attacking yourself? There is a way to do it.

Also, how do you tell the bear to return to you/stop attacking?

Does anyone know how to do this on an XBOX controller?

Here's the thread for the PS4, if anyone knows how to map the buttons to an XBOX.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/nxs3ud/there_are_pet_and_companion_commands_on_console/
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found out how to do this in case anyone is searching:

The way to do it is to hold down the left and right sticks (pet command). Then while doing that, heavy attack will make the pet attack. Block will set the pet passive.

If the pet is set to passive, using a heavy attack will set it back to attacking.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the information.

Maybe I am just to old, but I find it hard to hold both controller buttons down and heavy add while moving and aiming. Really wish they would add a setting in options for heavy attack only to automatically cause the pet and companions to attack and not need to hold both controllers stick down at the same time.

Stay safe and enjoy the journey :)
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah on PC, I change the command to L1 + Triangle. If they gave more advanced controls I would like to change it to L1 + Square to Attack, L1 + Triangle to use Ultimate, and L1 + Circle to Retreat without having to use L2 or R2.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

Maybe I am just to old, but I find it hard to hold both controller buttons down and heavy add while moving and aiming. Really wish they would add a setting in options for heavy attack only to automatically cause the pet and companions to attack and not need to hold both controllers stick down at the same time.

Thanks. :)

You can use a heavy attack only to direct your pet to attack something, but the problem is that you'll be attacking it at the same time. If you want to send your pet in first, you have to do the controller sticks/heavy attack dance.

Regarding the difficulty of holding down both sticks, heavy attacking, and moving/aiming, I figure you'd most often want to do this before you're attacking anything. So let's say you see a group or a single baddie, and you want to send in your bear to attack first, before you do anything. You don't need to be moving to do that. Also, if you aim the pointer at a baddie and hold down the two controller sticks, you'll see a white outline around that particular baddie (meaning it's targeted). Then just hold the right trigger for a second (while still holding down the sticks) and the bear will charge in and attack.

But I agree; some of the button combos using a controller aren't easy. For some reason, the left trigger + A combo for doing a roll dodge is difficult for me. Not sure why. Brain just doesn't compute it. Keyboard and mouse are definitely easier for most things. If I didn't have a repetitive strain injury, I'd go that route. Played that way for the first few years and things are so much easier with keyboard and mouse.

• Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

Thanks. :)

You can use a heavy attack only to direct your pet to attack something, but the problem is that you'll be attacking it at the same time. If you want to send your pet in first, you have to do the controller sticks/heavy attack dance.

Regarding the difficulty of holding down both sticks, heavy attacking, and moving/aiming, I figure you'd most often want to do this before you're attacking anything. So let's say you see a group or a single baddie, and you want to send in your bear to attack first, before you do anything. You don't need to be moving to do that. Also, if you aim the pointer at a baddie and hold down the two controller sticks, you'll see a white outline around that particular baddie (meaning it's targeted). Then just hold the right trigger for a second (while still holding down the sticks) and the bear will charge in and attack.

But I agree; some of the button combos using a controller aren't easy. For some reason, the left trigger + A combo for doing a roll dodge is difficult for me. Not sure why. Brain just doesn't compute it. Keyboard and mouse are definitely easier for most things. If I didn't have a repetitive strain injury, I'd go that route. Played that way for the first few years and things are so much easier with keyboard and mouse.

Thanks, I guess just whenever I see something to attack, I don’t really stop moving to target it with pets I just go in. Really a “me” issue for sure. Just hard to teach a old dog new tricks.