Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nerf magblades / soul tether!

Larcomar
Larcomar
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, maybe not :) But I do have a question.

A couple of times last week or so I've run into a magblade. Could well be the same one, not sure - I don't tend to keep track. Same tactics though - popped out of stealth when I was fighting someone else, hit his ulti - soul tether - and boom. Both times my death recap was showing the initial hit and then 5500 damage *per second* from the tether. They weren't using any other abilities - not even light attacking - just popped it and then ran around / roll dodged to keep in range. Roll dodging, line of sighting didn't seem to block it, hell block didn't seem to block it.

Now, I'm running pariah, 32k resists at 100%, Id guess 38k at low health, major protection and minor protection etc. Before battlespirit and mitigation, it's got to be hitting for what, 15k per second? Even if he's got like 35k penetration, it's still got to be a 10k p/s siphon pre battle spirit to get those numbers.

I'm kind of intrigued how you get that much damage out of soul tether. I love my little khajitblade but I don't play him that much, in part because I find he *lacks* burst. Ok, it's a bit of a one button build - I mean, both times the guy didn't use any other skills - but then, hell, he didn't need to. My little guy could use any help he can get so I figured Id look into it.

Thing is, I can't seem to remotely get that sort of damage out of soul tether - even tooltip, or on a target dummy wearing full divines pve dps gear. It just doesn't hit that hard. I played around a bit - Balorgh, Malacath, Thaumaturge, major breach, minor vulnerability etc. But even with a 500 ulti balorgh, fully penetrating the target and without battle spirit I'm struggling to get to get to those numbers.

It maybe that soul tether is by passing battle spirit somehow. Or of course that the guy/s getting a little bit of help from sozniz / cheat engine or one of the other "trainers" - I'm not accusing, I don't really care; if that's you need to do to enjoy it, well, it is what it is. But if you can buff soul tether up that much (without exploits obv) I'd be kind of interested how. It certainly give my little magblade a bit more umph.

Thoughts?
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Death recap doesn't show damage per second, it shows total damage of DoT ticks (grouped up if dot reapplies).
  • finehair
    finehair
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those 5k damages are the total damage of soul tether dot, not per tick.
    And you just got bombed; 500 ulti balorgh+crit damage with all kind of crit damage increase buffs (you might lack impen traits on your gear, that way you are a delicious meal for nightblades)+ vampire damage buff from stealth attack+ maybe vampire frenzy (that way I could reach near 8k spell dmg on my bomber)+ stacking with low hp guys and getting blown up by bunch of vicious death and proxy detonation procs.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah it wasn't a bomber. Or at least a bomb. I was out solo, fighting another guy. This was a straight gank. Which actually worked. Usually I just ignore NBs - havent seen many successful ganks recently other than squishies / pve'rs doing tier 1.

It may just be that the death recap was glitchy - it's pretty unreliable at the best of times. But it wasn't grouping dmg the way it does with dots - this was like 5 discrete entries... soul tether 5700, soul tether 5600 soul tether 5600 etc Thats what surprised me. The guys I was fighting couldnt get a hit in - I automatically rolled and then los'd - but the tether kept hitting. Have to confess I thought soul tether was dodegable; me bad.

As to vamp, yeah that was my thought. Clever on the back bar with mech acuity fb, strike from the shadows and maybe simering frenzy - though i didnt notive his health dropping. I'd assumed - maybe incorrectly - that crit resist would neutralise much of MA but maybe I need to look at the calculations. I usually run unassailable and then do like 3-4 impen, 3-4 wf, but if someones running like shadow, khajit plus the Nb passives, maybe thats not enough crit resist. Not sure how the math works.

Anyway, it may just have been a buggy death recap; I shd have checked combat metrics but was trying to get into Alesssia before it went on tag. Either way Ill dig the magblade out and play around with it a bit. Other than a brief (and largely unsuccessful :( ) stint as a bomber, my little critkitty's always used soul harvest - Its super cheap, creates a window, gives defile.... I was just wondering if I shd switch over and try out soul tether on him. It seemed to hit hard, its 8 seconds plus youre getting healed...

• AhSeLYaG
    AhSeLYaG
    ✭✭✭
    Nerf magblade😁 said a class with 32 k resist 38 k hp major and minor protection.
    Yes pls try magblade in pvp ;welcome to the club ; and prepare for a huge disappointment.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AhSeLYaG wrote: »
    and prepare for a huge disappointment.

My fav is getting stun with knockback during ulti cast time
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What?!?!? We need muh resists. Muh dmg. And um muh... .stuff. Seriously though, much as I love my warden a tanky melee type who purges himself automatically every 5 seconds isn't that much fun in a patch dominated by Hrothgar, DC and Plaguebreak. Good thing I've got like half other toons who need to be sorted out. Its keeping my busy anyway.

That said. Yeah. Of all my toons, my little magblade is the one that feels like he does genuinely need some love from zos. Not saying they can't be good, just that other classes seem to do it better. Unless you're bombing ofc but tbh I didn't have the patience. I don't know why they nerfed the class so much but its a real shame. He's actually huge fun to play. Definitely very unique. Maybe next patch? In the mean time, I'll tootle around and try some stuff on him. Ive done all of the others :)
  • wazzz56
    wazzz56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AhSeLYaG wrote: »
    Nerf magblade😁 said a class with 32 k resist 38 k hp major and minor protection.
    Yes pls try magblade in pvp ;welcome to the club ; and prepare for a huge disappointment.

you said what I was thinking
    GM Tig Ole Critties ps5 NA small scale PvP guild

"After a hard week of farming, or a long night of being nagged by your wife, there is nothing better than going out for a bit of a fish."