The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Keep Getting Silenced in PvP

Dontfollowmeimlostoo
Dontfollowmeimlostoo
Soul Shriven
Hello, I've just started having a go at Cyrodil campaigns, but am finding that every time another player attacks me I instantly get silenced or my magic dissappears, which obviously means I can't heal myself or fight back properly and finish up dead in a couple of seconds. Please would someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm on xbox one x and have fast Virgin 200mb/s Internet. Thanks

Best Answer

• Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Soul Shriven
    That's a thought, thanks. Gives me something to look into and work on 🙂

Oops! clicked on the wrong reply. I refer you to UntilValhalla's replies on the 8th and 9th of October as the accepted answers.
    PS. The other answers were good too 🙂
    Edited by Dontfollowmeimlostoo on October 11, 2021 10:32AM
    Answer ✓
  • Merllow
    Merllow
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, I've just started having a go at Cyrodil campaigns, but am finding that every time another player attacks me I instantly get silenced or my magic dissappears, which obviously means I can't heal myself or fight back properly and finish up dead in a couple of seconds. Please would someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm on xbox one x and have fast Virgin 200mb/s Internet. Thanks

You are still just at the initial stage, you need to make an interruption and somersault, work on your structure. (Better to spy on a couple of guides on the Internet and make a simple initial assembly suitable for pvp). PVP is not only work on skills, but it is also necessary to balance your hero in terms of health (from 25k), the level of magic and stamina (at least 15k), regeneration of stamina resources not lower than (1k), well, do not forget to eat food to increase resources . Do not worry, this is a completely different world of the game and here your level of play differs greatly, with time everything will come.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's kind of hard to say without seeing a clip or something. A sorc's Negate is one of the only things in the game that can silence you. Someone could be running resource draining poisons, which might also account for lack of resources, but that's entirely different from Silence.
  • Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks to both of you. Guess I'll just have to keep trying. I had wondered if it was due to Internet lag as I'm connected to my router by WiFi rather than solid cable.
  • Merllow
    Merllow
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, the cable connection is more stable, but if your wifi is good enough, then there may not be a difference.
  • Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Soul Shriven
    Yes you're probably right. I can't wriggle out of it that easily :)
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you are describing sounds like lag/de-sync. You are being hit with a lot of damage and dying on the server side prior to the game on your end registering it. So your resources look like they are at zero because they technically are, you are already dead.
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its lag.
    Same thing happens to me.
    First skill casts, after that I'm mashing buttons and nothing is happening.
    It even happens when I try to attack npcs.

I changed to less populated campaign and it hasn't happened since.
  • Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks jaws & N3 That's how it happens with me, one shot then all that my attempts at mashing buttons, even to dodge and roll, produces is a message saying 'you can't do that when you're dead'. A few times I've fired a Toxic Barrage which produces over 20000 damage and it doesn't seem to have any effect. I beefed up my stats this morning and had another go, but still got similar results. If lag is the case it gets me out of thinking that I'm just slow reacting and uncoordinated......even though I probably am 😊
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the magicka and stamina bars suddenly and magically go to zero that means you're dead but the client and server have not matched up to show you that on the screen yet. As for being silenced the NPC mage guards can instantly hit you with the silence ultimate, and it's pretty effective at shutting you down on a mag build. Have to quickly dodge roll out of it since you can't heal and you will be attacked necessitating the rolls.

The bubble NPCs put over you that reflects projectiles back at you don't effect melee abilities so you can use those instead, or break free to destroy the bubble early. Breaking free gives you CC immunity as well but costs stamina.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you Vevvev, I've noticed that if I'm fighting another player at a distance, everything is ok, it's just as soon as they get within a few yards of me that I instantly get silenced etc. So that would seem to match up with what you are saying.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Vevvev, I've noticed that if I'm fighting another player at a distance, everything is ok, it's just as soon as they get within a few yards of me that I instantly get silenced etc. So that would seem to match up with what you are saying.

Stamina abilities do work while silenced so it's not as big of a deal on stamina builds, but sadly it wrecks free abilities, ultimates, health cost abilities, and magicka cost abilities. Typically want to get out of those dark orbs as soon as possible.

What they look like just so we're making it clear that the silence you're experiencing isn't just heavy lag.
    200px-ON-skill-Negate_Magic.jpg
    dark-magic-skill-line-picture-header-e-s-o-header--t-kg-pf-c.jpg
    Edited by Vevvev on October 8, 2021 8:07PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks, that's useful to know. I was killed by some of those today 😊. A Dark Convergance trap that also killed me looked similar to the blue globe. However I always get silenced or drained when opposing players come near, even in clear air. As you say, getting drained is due to death, but once or twice I've managed to escape when silenced.....and then die a few seconds later 😏
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is an old video of mine where vma bugged out. When I died, it took the game a second to realize I died. My bars depleted and flashed. Is this what it looks like what's happening to you?

https://youtu.be/3B_CWyKc9l4
  • Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks UntilValhalla. Things happen at a similar speed to what is on the video. Sometimes the same, ie my magic instantly drains, but also, often all my skill lights go out whilst I've still got a good stock of magic and once or twice I've survived just long enough to relight them by holding left and right triggers for a few seconds.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks UntilValhalla. Things happen at a similar speed to what is on the video. Sometimes the same, ie my magic instantly drains, but also, often all my skill lights go out whilst I've still got a good stock of magic and once or twice I've survived just long enough to relight them by holding left and right triggers for a few seconds.

That sounds more like a stun then. On console, we hit both triggers to break free and remove the stun. It would also make you unable to do anything until you broke free.
  • Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Dontfollowmeimlostoo
    Soul Shriven
    Yes I wondered that. It's just that it happens so often and when the other player is still a few yards away. There is definitely internet lag as your video is exactly what happens on the lots of occasions when my magic etc disappears, so whether it's a variation on that.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes I wondered that. It's just that it happens so often and when the other player is still a few yards away. There is definitely internet lag as your video is exactly what happens on the lots of occasions when my magic etc disappears, so whether it's a variation on that.

If you're in PvP, you can be stunned something like every 8? seconds, and they can be done from range, depending on what the other person is running. So, it sounds like a combination of lag and stuns then.