Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there any room to add a skill like for one handed weapons?

Malyore
Malyore
✭✭✭
Hey I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm doing this right. As for the title, I don't mean dual wield or sword and board. Just a singular one-handed weapon.

I know with that you're missing a set piece, so it may not have a place in the game unless they add master weapons solely for the one-handed skill lines or something. But since ZOS really seems to be trying to branch out to hybrid builds and more character choices and customization, it'd be something I think is neat to have.

Most of my other elder scrolls game characters were spellblades which was really fun! It'd be great to replicate that in eso without being severely limited. And having a single skill line added to an already existing weapon type seems like the easiest choice, rather than making something else like wands or spell amulets or something bizarre to have as an "offhand" option.

Just curious what are y'alls thoughts? I know everyone is trying to always add junk to the game lol
  • Ksariyu
    Ksariyu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately as you already brought up, sets are a major roadblock to something like this. With no new off-hand to fill that extra slot, you would always just be short a set bonus, which can be a major setback for most builds.

As far as spellblades go, I don't see a 1H skill line adding anything that you don't already have. Magic is largely independent of your weapon, aside from Destruction and Restoration skills (Both of which should be weapon agnostic anyway but whatever ZoS). To truly get that 'Spellblade' feeling of say, Skyrim, you'd have to have the option to put something magic-related in your off-hand, which gets back to requiring a whole new item type.

• Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Ksariyu wrote: »
    Unfortunately as you already brought up, sets are a major roadblock to something like this. With no new off-hand to fill that extra slot, you would always just be short a set bonus, which can be a major setback for most builds.

As far as spellblades go, I don't see a 1H skill line adding anything that you don't already have. Magic is largely independent of your weapon, aside from Destruction and Restoration skills (Both of which should be weapon agnostic anyway but whatever ZoS). To truly get that 'Spellblade' feeling of say, Skyrim, you'd have to have the option to put something magic-related in your off-hand, which gets back to requiring a whole new item type.

As others have pointed out the missing set item, a "rune" or "charm" can be slotted in it's place to fix the set slot problem. The icons would look like glyphs or something, and they could have simple styles. I'd say the models for these offhand objects would be easier than any other set piece besides belts, so making "styles" may be simpler to just start out with them all having a same model, until new styles for outfits are released. The rune objects would only be equippable to the left/off hand like shields.

As far as abilities and passives, I'd say some more CC or offensive spells should always be welcome since the game should always be growing in a natural way.

Destruction and illusion magic comes to mind first, but I see 1 healing ability, and 1 buff/debuff skill, to balance it all out.

I think it's entirely plausible, even this far into the game's development, and I know it would fit PERFECT into the direction of hybrid viability they are rolling out with next patch. I'd bet they would do 1H and Spell weapon skill line in 2022 or 2023 chapters if they plan to ever do it.

If they don't, I'm pretty certain I'll give up ESO finally because the MMO features outweigh much of "TES" features (I stay for TES, not MMO).
    Edited by Syrpynt on October 6, 2021 2:31PM
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭

As far as spellblades go, I don't see a 1H skill line adding anything that you don't already have. .

For me the problem is, and I know it's nitpicky, is I don't have any weapon skills to use IF I'm trying to maintain the appearance of "spells in one hand, sword in the other". My main is a sorc, and being limited to using class and world abilities only means I'm left with just light and heavy attacks of my 1-hander.

I don't like using shields because A.) people will assume my role is a tank, and B.) because they clip through the character models. As for dual wield, having your character put their weapons away to cast a spell just doesn't give that "I'm a designed hybrid" appearance.

I know all my issues really come down to vanity haha, but with just how much they're really pushing to add new diversity to the game, it could be something to keep in mind and perhaps develop on.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not think this is a matter of "is there room" but if the developers see fit to add it to the game. Based on the past we can safely suggest the only chance for a weapon line to be added to the game would be with a chapter and Zenimax keep the changes up the type of value-added feature they add to chapters with classes, skill lines, a new gear type, and the latest being companions. I doubt they will add every weapon idea players suggest so there is a chance but I would not hold my breath.
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    Syrpynt wrote: »

Destruction and illusion magic comes to mind first, but I see 1 healing ability, and 1 buff/debuff skill, to balance it all out.

Yeah that's something I've always missed about TES in eso is the feeling of having different schools of magic. But I understand then if they added TOO many skills then it'd muddle up the class roles that exist. I think they've already done a good job of having weapon and guild skills that allow just enough room to add variety, but still making classes a very important decision for which role you want.

I will admit though, sometimes as a sorc I wish I could cast just an ordinary fireball 😔
    Edited by Malyore on October 6, 2021 2:28PM
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Malyore wrote: »
    Yeah that's something I've always missed about TES in eso is the feeling of having different schools of magic. But I understand then if they added TOO many skills then it'd muddle up the class roles that exist. I think they've already done a good job of having weapon and guild skills that allow just enough room to add variety, but still making classes a very important decision for which role you want.

I will admit though, sometimes as a sorc I wish I could cast just an ordinary fireball 😔

Yes, they made characters have staves so that weapons could be slotted for sets.

If I were a developer in the beginning stages, I'd have made equipment pieces all have "basic stat traits" of any trait you want, but only allowed to have a maximum number of "5th slot bonuses" on one character, similar to how Mythics currently work.

1.) 1 weapon bonus (per bar) + 1 monster bonus + 1 "5th slot bonus" + 1 "3rd slot bonus" (Jewelry)
    or
    2.) 1 "5th slot bonus" (per bar) + 1 "3rd slot bonus" (Jewelry) + 1 Mythic body
    or
    3.) 1 "5th slot bonus" (per bar) + 1 monster bonus + 1 Mythic Jewelry
    or
    4.) 2 "5th slot bonus" (Both bars) + 1 monster bonus

If no staves, then no weapon slot bonus right? So the workaround should be to allow scenario 4 to still work, and possibly:
    5.) 1 monster bonus + 1 "5th slot bonus" + 2 "3rd slot bonus" (Jewels)

I say 2 jewelry bonus because in TES jewelry is basic only there for the enchants, and enchants are a mage's bread-and-butter.

This is all hypothetical balancing that could make 1H and Spell work, but I think the developers would likely not do the 1H and spell mainly because people will ask "Why did you force us to do staves in the first place?" haha Then they'd have to defend that design choice.