The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

When will we get a New Magicka based Weaponline.

Schore159
Schore159
✭✭✭
Its about Time to add a New Magicka based Weaponline.
We have currently 4 Stamina based and only 2 Magicka based Weaponlines and 1 of those is for Healing only.
It would be cool to add something like Wand with Orb in backhand or maybe Scepters.

Let me here what u all think about it.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once in a time there was datamine about 1h and rune skill line but it was probably just scrapped same as spellcrafting became antiquities in a way. I'm pretty sure we're not getting new complicated systems anytime soon while eso engineering team is on performance for the most part (if we're believing it ofc) so new skill line seems unlikely now. Maybe it's not that problematic to implement, can always hope.

I'd be personally up for anything with 1h, spears or barehand if implemented properly. With current hybridisation going it's likely that no future weapon line would be locked for either stam or mag and might have respective morphs.
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really there are 2 "stick" skill lines Destro and Restro

There are 3 "sword" skill lines 2 hand, dual and S&B

And Bow.

If these just did damage and not magic or martial damage and if they could be set to use the magic or stamina pools a lot of interesting builds could be dreamt up.

A stamina wall of poison from a stick

A lightning snipe from a bow

Its all there :)
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't see it happening in the foreseeable future. It gets brought up almost on a weekly basis. Any time they add or change something drastic, it breaks 30 other things. If they added a new weapon, they'd have to go back and add it to every loot pool. They really just need to fix the things that have been broken and steam rolled over with new content over the years.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't see it happening in the foreseeable future. It gets brought up almost on a weekly basis. Any time they add or change something drastic, it breaks 30 other things. If they added a new weapon, they'd have to go back and add it to every loot pool. They really just need to fix the things that have been broken and steam rolled over with new content over the years.

True, but all they'd need to do (not implying that it'd be an easy task) to add 1hand+rune skill line is slightly alter the way 1handed weapons count for set piece while having a rune in the off-hand(1 haned weapon count as two pieces while a rune is equiped). Something like making a rune that opens the skill line and imbues those skill and the 1handed weapon with fire,frost, lightning, or magic dame types. Or something like that. Idk.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably never
  • six2fall
    six2fall
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy if the just split the 3 elements into their own skill lines under destructive staffs. The skills would need to be more caties than they are now which really is a joke just adding a small change to a skill based on staff used.
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    The implementation of a new weapon skills line would probably be combined with an extensive nerf of existing weapons to make room for a new weapon.
    Therefore, such thoughts fill me with fear rather than interest.
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    Elendir2am wrote: »
    The implementation of a new weapon skills line would probably be combined with an extensive nerf of existing weapons to make room for a new weapon

Why would they need to nerf everything they already have in the game in order to do that??
  • Mrtoobyy
    Mrtoobyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malyore wrote: »
    The implementation of a new weapon skills line would probably be combined with an extensive nerf of existing weapons to make room for a new weapon

Why would they need to nerf everything they already have in the game in order to do that??

That is the usual ZOS way of doing things. Don't ask me why but it's been like that for years
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With hybridization becoming more of a thing we don't really need it but something new skill wise would be nice.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    If hybridization works well this next patch, I sense that this is what will be added in 2022. If not, then I have no need to purchase the next chapter either. It would make even more sense to make players pick and choose 10 abilities at character creation, from all available "classes", and make your own class. It couldn't be broken because you'd be stuck with those 10 skills and have to redbuild an entire character each major patch if you wanted to be top-tier, and most people wouldn't do that, especially if they diversify the skills more.

I mean, lookit mah signature... Been asking for this stuff for a while now.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you, but they do have a point considering they nerfed Ice heart to make Mother Cainnite look good. They didn't even hide that's why they nerfed it, and it's the same company that's currently removing Mistform for PvE instead of like.... nerfing it.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

I agree with you, but they do have a point considering they nerfed Ice heart to make Mother Cainnite look good. They didn't even hide that's why they nerfed it, and it's the same company that's currently removing Mistform for PvE instead of like.... nerfing it.

To be fair.. that took place during a patch in which all set standards were being adjusted, how much shielding a set should provide based on a number of factors should raise or lower the shield strength where as before, it was just based on what the set design team thought was appropriate at the time of creation which left many shield sets dead in the water, while something like Iceheart thrived..

Iceheart:
    1. Monster set, 2 pieces.
    2. 6 seconds CD, 20% chance from ANY critical damage. Easy.
    3. AoE DoT damage while the shield is active.
    4. Self shield.
    Result = 5k shield.

So if Iceheart had no ice damage and was on a 5 piece instead, it would most likely warrant a 12k shield instead of a 5k one... oh wait. That exists now:

Hexos' Ward:
    1. 5 pieces.
    2. 6 seconds CD, 100% chance from DIRECT critical damage. Easy.
    3. Self Shield.
    Result = 12k shield.

And before anyone discounts the damage on Iceheart, now that procs can crit next patch, it's among the best damage based monster sets in the game as seen in Skinny Cheeks tests you can find on youtube as long as you maintain the shield which is a fairly interesting mechanic.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on October 14, 2021 4:01PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • snipezor
    snipezor
    ✭✭✭
    "When will we get a New Magicka based Weapon line."

Probably with ESO 2 and/or whenever they fix Cyrodiil performance.

By which I, of course, mean "never."
    Edited by snipezor on October 14, 2021 5:11PM
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    you may indeed only have 1 offensive magic line

But their effect can change considerably depending of the staff equiped, youhave bonus damage with fire, execute with shock and defensive/tank with ice

Now adding new weapons and skills I wouldn't mind
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like we have a resto staff for healers, I'd like to see a new weapon - 'defender staff' or such - built purely for tanking. One benefit of this is that would free up the ice staff to go pure dps which I'm sure frost mages would appreciate. Currently the ice staff is woefully suboptimized for either dps or tank.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • BlackCatOnline-
    BlackCatOnline-
    ✭✭✭
    I want a spell bow skill. Bound weapon skill line for magicka variants of popular weapon skills. Ghost sword. Ghost dual wield. Spell bow. All these would scale off magicka and be comparable to stamina weapon skills. Then again with the direction ZOS is going with hybridization, simply scaling weapon skills to appease mag specs would be fine too.
    Edited by BlackCatOnline- on October 18, 2021 12:09AM
  • WraithShadow13
    WraithShadow13
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see a magicka skill line where you're using a book or a wand, or your empty hand (like other elder scrolls games), so why staves are the only magicka weapon is beyond me but boring.

As for the skill trees, i fully agree there, too. It's magic. Given all of the really cool things you can do with that, and all of the magicka skills from previous elder scrolls games, it would be nice to see a few more skill trees to better fill that style. Then again, with how this mmo plays, the more skill trees, the better. I love how much choice we have in skills and abilities, even though it can seriously hurt dps wise, sometimes.

Since we didn't get a new class this year, it would be a nice thing for the next "year of" content.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This comparison: 4 stamina vs 2 magic, is kinda pointless.

Each class is by default designed to be a magicka class. Then, some of their morphs have option for stamina or max stat, but usually these are quite limited. So stam weapons trees supplement their stam skills.

Also, if stamina want to go for all roles, they need to develop few trees: S&B for defense, Bow for range & support, 2h for more solo & DW for more team gameplay.

Magicka alts need to develop only 1 skill tree for all range of builds: Ice for defensive, Lightining for AoE, Inferno for ST and optionally Resto for healing, shielding & buffs.

But sure, new skill tree would be nice. Maybe as an Illusion Staff for CC, maybe 1h line or spear with option for magic buff or even unarmed with morphs for boxing and casting - sorry, just refreshed Skyrim as mage and it is OP ^^
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love a Magicka weapon line so long as it blends with Eso lore or is made to blend in with Eso lore as new lore. I'd like a throwing weapon, like a magic shuriken of some kind.
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    One hand + spell i want weapon like that , this is the way i mostly play in Skyrim and can't force self to play magicka because of lack weapon like that. I would play magplar and magdk but they lack weapon like that. In skyrim you can use your weapon or conjured one hand sword this is nice.
    Edited by mmtaniac on November 30, 2021 12:10PM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. I would really want to see a "hybrid" weapon skill line, so depending on the morph you chose you would have stamina or magicka costing skills + universal passives.

As for the specific weapon type, I would really want to see some kind of polearm weapon. Spear & combat staff for example. Combat staff could be a monk-style quarterstaff, so magicka builds would finally have a proper melee weapon.
    Spear on the other hand would be more like a stamina based weapon, but since it would be a hybrid skill line, you would be able to use it effectively on a magica build (and vice versa, combat staff on stamina build).

I guess it would be a nice addition to the game.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on November 30, 2021 12:12PM
  • Ksariyu
    Ksariyu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still unsure of what a new skill line could add. Again, I see these posts every other day here but nobody's come up with an actual gameplay idea that isn't either already in the game or likely to break it entirely. Like, 1H + Rune, great. Cool concept. But what's it do? What's the basic attack even look like? Do you use the sword or the rune? What skills go in that line that aren't already in Destruction or 1H + Shield? Same with spears that get brought up all the time. You want a jabbing skill? Templar. Spear throwing? Templar. Look at how many skills already exist that are either super niche or just ignored completely. Then look at how many skills overlap effects, particularly with class skills that for some reason need to give the same effects as another class.

Try as I might, I just can't see the value in taking the time to add a new skill line unless they're really going to try and mix things up and do something new, and not just provide another source of Major Sorcery and Minor Maim.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will see a new class or 2 new weapon lines in 2022, is my guess.

Magic - 1 Handed and orb/spell book

Martial - Bracers/Martial arts or Staves/Spears

The interesting part of new weapon skill lines in what the arena weapons skill buff would look like.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ksariyu wrote: »
    I'm still unsure of what a new skill line could add. Again, I see these posts every other day here but nobody's come up with an actual gameplay idea that isn't either already in the game or likely to break it entirely. Like, 1H + Rune, great. Cool concept. But what's it do? What's the basic attack even look like? Do you use the sword or the rune? What skills go in that line that aren't already in Destruction or 1H + Shield? Same with spears that get brought up all the time. You want a jabbing skill? Templar. Spear throwing? Templar. Look at how many skills already exist that are either super niche or just ignored completely. Then look at how many skills overlap effects, particularly with class skills that for some reason need to give the same effects as another class.

Try as I might, I just can't see the value in taking the time to add a new skill line unless they're really going to try and mix things up and do something new, and not just provide another source of Major Sorcery and Minor Maim.

And what exactly do you expect?

Every weapon tree loot more or less the same, so you could do tree even for a fork.

1. Fork Jab - ST skill.

2. Fork Bite - DOT skill.

3. Fork at Open Buffet - AOE skill.

4. Fork & last portion - Gap Closer skill.

5. Fork flavour - skill with optional buff, shield or heal to add some diversity.

That's basically ESO in the pill ^^
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A one-handed scepter would be cool. Maybe dual weld them even.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unpopular opinion: I hope never.

Staves are fine as is. Plus, almost every time something new has entered the game, i.e. Necro class, antiquities, etc., it has rendered the former to be substandard. To date, I don't think any stamina class has been able to unseat Stamina Necro as the top DPS among Stamina toons.

So all the time spent on farming the magicka gear you need will be dropped down a peg to make the new shiny object more desirable. Besides, exactly what would be the new weapon? I saw spell crafting several times, but that seems like it would be staves without staves.
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see weapon skills with magika morphs, kinda like with some class abilities that can convert to stamina
  • DontWorryAboutit
    DontWorryAboutit
    ✭✭✭
    Schore159 wrote: »
    Its about Time to add a New Magicka based Weaponline.
    We have currently 4 Stamina based and only 2 Magicka based Weaponlines and 1 of those is for Healing only.
    It would be cool to add something like Wand with Orb in backhand or maybe Scepters.

Let me here what u all think about it.

Destruction staffs and 2H blade/blunt weapons were designed to be used on Mag or stam DPS\damage builds, furthermore Destro staffs and 2H weapons archetypes passives are tied to LA and MA passives and both weapon archetypes are the equivalent/counter to each other...

SnB was designed to be used on DK tanks-that was the original design intentions!

Now there is a case to be made for Mag version of DW....spell sword/mag melee or DW wands?

What about Bow that requires stam/WD?..... Mag version of bow/ spell sling caster?
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see weapon skills with magika morphs, kinda like with some class abilities that can convert to stamina

Sounds like a neat idea, but some abilities have two good morphs so it'd be robbing from one person to appease another. However, we can do it where destruction and resto staves have stamina counterparts to. Like the stamina resto staff abilities be medicinal healing while the stamina destruction staff is a kind of mixed spear/polearm fighting style.
    Edited by Vevvev on December 6, 2021 8:06PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK