The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Increase cooldown but also radius of Dark convergence

Larcomar
Larcomar
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, unpopular opinion. I love dark convergence. It's a fantastic set. It's a new exciting mini game that everyone should try. Paired with Chudan and Rattlecage, I don't even have to put my beer down. Just press one button every fifteen seconds and watch the kills roll in. But.... 15 seconds is a kind of an inconvenient time period. It's too long to keep you engaged in the game but really too short to get other stuff done. I can read emails while I'm pvping or put the kettle on, but I can't really *write* emails or make a cup of coffee. It's kind of a pain.

I've been thinking about this. Here's my idea. Why don't we give dark convergence's pull like a 32 meter radius but - to keep it properly balanced - make the cooldown 1 minute. I think this would work for everyone:

- It would saves £ for zos - all these dark convergence bubbles seem to really lag the server. Then you've got all that silly breaking free, roll dodging and rezzing to deal with. Making it a once a minute zerg wipe would really cut server stress, reducing the need to pay for expensive hardware.

- It would give DC users time to go and do other stuff while they wait for the cooldown to expire. We'd finally be able to go grab another beer, get some more chips or answer some emails while we pvp without having to remember to press a button *every* 15 seconds.

- It would remove a lot of the annoyance for the poor saps on the receiving end. I mean, I hit you four times, the amount of lag there is, you know you're going to die sooner or later. Rather than having to wonder, and do all that silly roll dodging stuff, this just gets it over with. Much simpler.

The other thought I had was the set ought to really reward skilled, coordinated play more. When two or three of us get together and drop our DC bubbles in one place, there ought to be a special effect. I mean, sure, it's kind of funny to watch people doing the little break dance and then roll dodging out of my bubble.... straight into someone else's (never get's old!) but really, there should be something more. One option might be to make the effects meld, sort of double radius, quadruple effect. But that's a bit vanilla. I'd like to see zos introduce some sort of fun effect so that, where you get multiple bubbles overlapping, players get pulled in, spun round, thrown up in the air and then catapulted back to home base or something. I mean, we're almost there already. Why not add some fun visiual effects.

• Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larcomar wrote: »
    Ok, unpopular opinion. I love dark convergence. It's a fantastic set. It's a new exciting mini game that everyone should try.

yeah, fun for about half an hour, then became so boring and broken that make you want to stop playing in that abomination that is CP Cyro.
    Just remove that thing. Cyro should be about PvP not about silly games.

• Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, unpopular opinion. I love dark convergence. It's a fantastic set. It's a new exciting mini game that everyone should try.

yeah, fun for about half an hour, then became so boring and broken that make you want to stop playing in that abomination that is CP Cyro.
    Just remove that thing. Cyro should be about PvP not about silly games.

Read the rest of the post. :smiley:

Love it, @Larcomar . Thanks for brightening up my Thursday morning.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [...] make the effects meld, sort of double radius, quadruple effect. But that's a bit vanilla. I'd like to see zos introduce some sort of fun effect so that, where you get multiple bubbles overlapping, players get pulled in, spun round, thrown up in the air and then catapulted back to home base or something. I mean, we're almost there already. Why not add some fun visiual effects.

I like your ideas, especially the catapulting back to base. That does kinda happen already but without the visual effect.

A rewarding and fun effect for the group that layer 6 bubbles would be the appearance of Uncle Sheo. Sheo could appear and commence a bowling mini game by rolling big cheese wheels at fleeing enemies.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just spit-balling here, but what if DC didn't just pull in once or twice, but continued to pull over a duration. And, what if it also grew in radius as time went on so it got, like, really stupidly big near the end. Once a player is pulled in to the center, they just die. No stun, or damage, just dead. OH! And make it damage walls, not like they were helping defenders against this set anyways. And then, when the duration is up, just a giant explosion that throws our corpses across the field and shrapnel continues to do damage to keep walls.

Yeah, that'd be cool, and not too hard to code I'd imagine.
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this thread.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it! Some really good idea's here. We could have a sort escalating bonus effect, a bit like those old fruit machines in pubs. How about....

- Get 2 dark convergences overlapping: DOUBLE TROUBLE! - the effects meld, creating an area of 16 metres wide doing double damage.

- Get 3 dark convergences overlapping: TRIPLE TRAGEDY! - the area of effect and damage is doubled, but in addition players are catapulted into the air and scattered randomly across Cyrodiil. Bonus AP if you land them in the slaughterfish.

- Get 5 dark convergences overlapping: UNCLE SHEO'S CHEESE WHEEL - Sheo appears and commences a bowling mini game by rolling big cheese wheels at fleeing enemies. Each cheese wheel hits for 20k. For the first few weeks, zos accidentally forget to apply battle spirit to the damage.

- Get 6 dark convergences overlapping: VORTEX OF DOOM - the DC bubbles don't just pull in once or twice, but continue to pull over a duration, growing in radius until they become a stupidly big vortex of doom that destroys keep walls, instantly kills all defenders and leaves the fort a smoking ruin.

- Get 10 dark convergences overlapping: MOLAG BAL's PLANEMELD - we gotta have a finale. The DC bubbles grow in radius until they become a stupidly big vortex of doom, pulling everything around them for the entire duration. Any player caught in the vortex is catapulted onto an entrely different plane of existence, removed from Cyrodiil and disconnected. When they try to log back in they're greeted with a big picture of Molag Bal giving them the bird and error message 304.

• angelofdeath333
    angelofdeath333
    ✭✭✭
    I have a better idea. What if they removed that [snip] instead? Its EVERYWHERE!

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 1, 2021 11:05AM
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the melding idea. The more there are, the bigger the radius. Kinda like a blackhole. Eventually if you piled enough during a faction stack on the hammer it might even be able to pull players all the way back at their homebase!
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been thinking about this. Here's my idea. Why don't we give dark convergence's pull like a 32 meter radius but - to keep it properly balanced - make the cooldown 1 minute. I think this would work for everyone:

How are set cooldowns handeled when relogging? I'm guessing they are reset? With your suggestion, the forum would soon explode over non-email-writing non-coffee-cooking nolifers reducing their cooldown by relogging shortly after each set proc. No fair!

no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you propose is ridiculous. We need cooldown increased further to 1 hour, but, hear me out, we need for each subsequent dark conversion inside the same radius to stack with previous one, increasing it's radius by two and adding 10s to the duration. They also need to ignore any obstacle to simplify calculations.

If any zerg would be able to gather all PvPers from the whole cyrodiil map into the river, there will be no lags and pvp will be balanced.
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    What you propose is ridiculous. We need cooldown increased further to 1 hour, but, hear me out, we need for each subsequent dark conversion inside the same radius to stack with previous one, increasing it's radius by two and adding 10s to the duration. They also need to ignore any obstacle to simplify calculations.

If any zerg would be able to gather all PvPers from the whole cyrodiil map into the river, there will be no lags and pvp will be balanced.

Ooh. In conjunction with the meld theme idea - If the radius reaches a certain size for a certain duration, people that get pulled into it are automatically ported to the Village of the Lost - that horrible dumpster fire that is the Cold harbor public dungeon. (My most hated place on the map.)
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I like that idea. A new form of purgatory. Has to be a random location in that dungeon though, and they have to find their way out not just port. Why don't we just add it to 10 though?:

- Get 10 dark convergences overlapping: MOLAG BAL's PLANEMELD - The DC bubbles grow in radius until they become a stupidly big vortex of doom, pulling everything around them for the entire duration. Any player caught in the vortex is catapulted onto an entrely different plane of existence, removed from Cyrodiil and disconnected. When they try to log back in they're greeted with a big picture of Molag Bal giving them the bird and error message 304. When they do manage to (finally!) get back in (on like, their 4th try), they find that they're now stuck in the Village of the Lost and have to spend the next 45 minutes trying to find their way out. Molag Bal randomly appears, cackles maniacally and casts Dark Convergence on them. If the player fails to break free and roll dodge, they're teleported back to their starting location and have to navigate the dungeon all over again. If they *do* manage to break free and roll dodge, well, [snip], they get sucked in anyway because it's not like that doesn't happen, does it....

Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 4, 2021 6:58PM
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on ZOS Dark Convergence and necro together is [snip]. Fix one or the other!!!

Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 4, 2021 6:58PM
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil has become Pin Pon Cyrodiil. This is bad!!! I like this game, but I'm done until Dark Convergence is fixed! Good luck to everyone!
    Edited by Abyssmol on October 4, 2021 6:23AM
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I like that idea. A new form of purgatory. Has to be a random location in that dungeon though, and they have to find their way out not just port. Why don't we just add it to 10 though?:

- Get 10 dark convergences overlapping: MOLAG BAL's PLANEMELD - The DC bubbles grow in radius until they become a stupidly big vortex of doom, pulling everything around them for the entire duration. Any player caught in the vortex is catapulted onto an entrely different plane of existence, removed from Cyrodiil and disconnected. When they try to log back in they're greeted with a big picture of Molag Bal giving them the bird and error message 304. When they do manage to (finally!) get back in (on like, their 4th try), they find that they're now stuck in the Village of the Lost and have to spend the next 45 minutes trying to find their way out. Molag Bal randomly appears, cackles maniacally and casts Dark Convergence on them. If the player fails to break free and roll dodge, they're teleported back to their starting location and have to navigate the dungeon all over again. If they *do* manage to break free and roll dodge, well, [snip], they get sucked in anyway because it's not like that doesn't happen, does it....

Lol. It should just be a game feature at this point.

"All players are subject to random assaults by Dark Convergence." Can happen at any time or place.

Its ok. You can just block or roll dodge out of it.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 4, 2021 7:00PM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    too funny @Larcomar :)
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • wazzz56
    wazzz56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, love this thread! sadly some dev may read it and think these ideas are actually balanced.....
    GM Tig Ole Critties ps5 NA small scale PvP guild

"After a hard week of farming, or a long night of being nagged by your wife, there is nothing better than going out for a bit of a fish."
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wazzz56 wrote: »
    lol, love this thread! sadly some dev may read it and think these ideas are actually balanced.....

Yeah, there's that risk, especially considering that DC was released in its present form.
  • birdik
    birdik
    ✭✭✭
    I have a better idea. What if they removed that [snip] instead? Its EVERYWHERE!

This idea is good
  • gamma71
    gamma71
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it should pull the entire server. And have a new effect called black hole we're any one and everything gets crushed by gravity including keeps and out posts.