The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil design flaw

vms11934
vms11934
✭✭✭
Fairly new to pvp, so maybe this has been discussed already, but there is a problem with keep design in Cyrodiil. Keeps/castles are supposed to have the high ground. There are plenty of places where the topography surrounding a keep gives the higher ground advantage to the besiegers. Shouldn't be the case.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vms11934 wrote: »
    Fairly new to pvp, so maybe this has been discussed already, but there is a problem with keep design in Cyrodiil. Keeps/castles are supposed to have the high ground. There are plenty of places where the topography surrounding a keep gives the higher ground advantage to the besiegers. Shouldn't be the case.

Yeah. These places can't be _too_ defensible or the other alliances wouldn't be able to take them overnight. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, whichever Imperial architect designed Chalman and Aleswell with those stealth siege spots was surely executed by Chancellor Tharn for incompetence.

5oq02e.jpg

The Dev who did it, on the other hand, correctly figured that stealth sieging from the high ground in certain places makes for good variation in gameplay. Some keeps are better sieged from behind or the side if you can't risk the front door. The terrain helps make the keeps less "samey".

Now, if you want a keep that'll give you the "high ground" experience, go fight at Alessia's front door. We on EP used to laughingly call it "Hamburger Hill."
    Edited by VaranisArano on September 29, 2021 10:53PM
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, yes! I have had this chat in zonechat a few times. You're absolutely right. Many of the keeps and outposts are in locations that would never be chosen irl to fortify. Imo, Bleakers is the worst - it is surrounded on three sides by higher ground.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Locations were approved by slimy Imperial Councilmembers getting kickbacks from the construction firms. How else can you explain the horribly inefficient design and clustering 20+ fortresses around your own capital when you're supposed to be building them at the edges of your territory?
    PC NA
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest beef with the locations are that there are few good places to put siege to hit the obvious points where you would want to focus your defense.

For example, look at outposts. None of the seige can accurately hit the door. You can sorta hit it but it's easily avoidable. Yes you can put down oils but they are only effective against low health targets.

Also you can't hit targets who are hitting the door with ballistas around the supports.

I honestly don't think they put that much thought into it. I mean, the entire landscape in Cyrodiil is not arranged to give everyone the same advantages. Bridges are easier to defend and harder to take down. Sej, Winters and Harluns are also substantially closer to red keeps than what you see for DC and AD. AD castles have many environmental advantages. Etc.
    Edited by DrSlaughtr on September 30, 2021 9:27PM
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zone Chat: "Glade N ua from top of the rocks, 20 EP"

Me thinking: "Yeah, no, let someone else deal with it."
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • danthemann5
    danthemann5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While we're on the topic, can we get someone to drain the swamp in and around Rayles? All that stagnant water breeding mosquitos... And whomever the contractor was that built Rayles, they need to come back to the site and clean up all their leftover building materials and other trash they left strewn around; it's a fire hazard and a safety issue.
    ZeniMax has no obligation to correct any errors or defects in the Services.

Greetings! We've closed this thread due to its non-constructive nature.

"You know you don't have to be here right?" - ZOS_RichLambert
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While we're on the topic, can we get someone to drain the swamp in and around Rayles? All that stagnant water breeding mosquitos... And whomever the contractor was that built Rayles, they need to come back to the site and clean up all their leftover building materials and other trash they left strewn around; it's a fire hazard and a safety issue.

Fire hazard? I want to know who thought it was a good idea to build Blue Road Keep on a volcano.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why when you play Oblivion they are all ruined ;)