The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[SOLVED] Problem exiting a chat channel

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I don't use the chat window much, but I recently used the /g1 command to enter a guild's chat channel, but then I couldn't find any way to exit that channel and return to the general chat channel. Is there any such command? I did an internet search, and apparently I'm supposed to show the chat options window and uncheck "Guild 1", but this didn't work and when I closed that window, the chat window still showed my current chat channel as guild 1.

I managed to get back to the general chat channel by typing /reloadui, but there must be an easier way to do that.

Am I doing something wrong?
Edited by vsrs_au on September 28, 2021 8:58PM
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are several / commands for switching between the channels you're talking in:
    /zone - general zone chat (which is what you probably mean by general chat channel there)
    /g1 /g2 /g3 etc - the corresponding guild ones
    /g - group
    /say - 'say' chat, it's an open chat that all the people in close proximity of you see
    /yell - kinda like 'say', but has slightly longer range and gets typed with angry red font by default
    /tell @ AccountName - whisper, private chat channel with @ AccountName. You can also use CharacterName instead of @ AccountName (remove the space between @ and the name, I just put it there to avoid the auto-link).

Now the part with the chat options and checking/unchecking guilds etc there isn't where you talk, it's where you listen. So if you have Guild1 option checked for this tab, you will see the Guild1 chat along with whatever other chat you have enabled. You can talk there using /g1 or just read it and talk in zone/group/whatever, it doesn't matter, just means you see it. If you have multiple guilds it can be convenient to set a separate chat tab with just guild chat and disable them in the main tab so they don't overspam it, but that's personal preference. If you /g1 and type a message in the tab where you have Guild1's chat disabled, your message will type and send properly but you won't see it after it sends because it will be in the channel you have disabled. If you switch to the tab with Guild1 chat enabled, it will be right there.

Oh, also, you can just click on someone's message in chat and it will automatically put you in the channel their message is in. If you click the name before the message, it will open up a private chat with that person (/whisper).
    Edited by Magdalina on September 28, 2021 5:52PM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks! :) I knew I was missing something for switching back to general zone chat.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390