The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Understanding the classes to build the right character

LordDragonMara
LordDragonMara
✭✭✭
Greetings. I'm new to ESO and Elder Scrolls universe, but i love every minute i spend into it. The moment i watched the cinematics i knew this is going to be my game for years to come.
The main problem i have tho is understanding some of the class(as i see many other have such problem), and while i understand why "X" and "Y" are done i still don't get a lot of things, and i hope you can help me solve this. ;D
I understand the concept of Stamina and Magic, and i kinda like it in terms of diversity.
Currently i'm going to focus on learning everything in the game, and will play Solo Character, Overland and the things you could do as solo, dungeons, maelstrom, trials(if i can) and so on.

So here i want to understand more, and what build in terms of character, so you to help me.

My idea is to build Dream/Fantasy type of Character, so i can enjoy my playing time even more.
For example the character i wanna build now, and in the future are this:
Ranger type similar to Aragorn from LOFTR with Two handed Sword, and Bow(or Duel Wield)
Dread Knight, a pure warrior from Heroes 3, with either One hand + Shield or Two Handed with Bow as a secondary.
Achilles type of character with One hand + Shield with Bow as secondary.
Pure brute Barbarian like Conan for example, mighty Two Handed Sword and Bow secondary(not much options i guess).
I prefer to use more of physical type of skill, or let's say it like that, skills that use your weapon to do the damage, unlike to let's call it, to summon a animal or so and to fly and hit the enemy. Not very realistic i would say.
Now i mainly can't understand the Necromancer, Nightblade and Warden as classes.
Necromancer to me look like he is more a summoner, not a Warrior, for let's say to build the Dread Knight on him.

In terms of Range type, similar to Aragorn, Warden was my first look, but all the ability looks so off, and there is not a single skill where you use your weapon to do damage with it.
Commanding Cliff Racer to attack or Group of Shalk or Swamp, really? :disappointed: This just look a very bad design to me. You don't have a single skill, where you do damage with your weapon for example .... I get that there is a Weapon Skill, but what makes us Unique is the class right.

And as far as Nightblade, they are more of a Rogue class if i get it right ?

I will be very grateful for helping my choice, and understand the classes a bit more.
Best regards.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class skills don't require weapons. Weapon skills require specific weapons.
    You can use outfit station to style your characters. Use TTC to find motifs to unlock visual customizations.
    Necromancer skills are styled around using dead.
    Warden skills are styled around using nature and animals.
    Nightblade skills are styled around assassination, stealth and leeching.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    basicly NO class skill will even show ur weapon
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, the classes have their own visual effects, some of which mimic or go over top of weapons, but they tend to be magical looking, which I know is a turn off for some.

Using weapon skills is one way to get around this, but do be aware that there are also Fighter's Guild skills, which also tend to look mundane as opposed to magical, and a few Alliance War skills such as Caltrops from the support tree.

Since you also mentioned your interests/goals, know that a build which relies entirely on these "realistic" types of skills is possible but won't necessarily get you very far when it comes to group content such as vet dungeons or trials. Also, because it is a common mistake for new players to make, if you wield a sword and shield in this game, especially in PvE, people will expect you to be in the tank role rather than a damage dealer, in case that is what you had in mind with some of the examples you provided.
    PC NA
  • LordDragonMara
    LordDragonMara
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answer so far.
    oterWitz yeah i understand this, but currently i will play solo for the most part, so i won't play group content.
    It will take a lot of time, untill i decide to go play the "pure" end game with groups, PVP and so.
    I usually love to take my time in a game, enjoy my character, enjoy the world, enjoy the quests(i love questing and exploring new zones), and so.

I kinda get the point, but then i think it would be a lot better if the ability bars was not 5, but either 8, or to have 3 swappable bar, not 2.

I look at some builds, and most are using either 1 or 2 Weapon skills, which is kinda limited for a rotation. Maybe i'm not just used to, cause on SWTOR, the rotation is with quite a lot of abilities. :smiley:

So what is my best bet in terms of building the Fantasy characters?

For Ranger type like Aragorn my best will be Nightblade or Warden? In
    Necromancer or DK for Dread Knight?
    DK or Nightblade maybe for Achilles type ?
    DK or Warden for Barbarian ?
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you are doing strictly overland content, go ahead and do anything you want. However, if you ever want to veer into the veteran group PVE content, here would be my suggestions:

Ranger: Stamina Nightblade

Dread Knight: Stamina Necro or a Stamina Templar. The "knight" you are thinking of that wrecks all is more a Templar in this game. DK's are visually slower and less dynamic but tankier. I played one for years and loved it, until I made a stamblade.

Achilles: Stamina Dragonknight. Unless you are doing PVP, the S&B is not a great DPS. But its an awesome tank. You can dump the bow back bar for an ice or lightning staff and not have to level up every skill all over again

Barbarian: Stamina Dragonknight, Templar, or Necro with 2H. The 2H skill line typically ends up taking over the build's front bar

At the risk of offending some, I'm just going to say it. The Stamina Warden is underwhelming. Makes a great tank, but I didn't like it as a DPS
  • LordDragonMara
    LordDragonMara
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answer.
    BTW if i make a tank, with some DPS stuff, how slower i will be in killing monster compare to full DPS ???
    Let's say with a good DPS you are killing a group of monster for 5 seconds. With the tank the time will be double, let's say 10 sec, or triple, quadruple ?
    If i a do a dungeon or a trial with DPS for let's say for 5 minutes, what will be the time, double, triple, quadruple with a tank ?
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tank is several times slower than DD at killing. You can use companions and swap skills/equipment (dressing room addon) to make killing faster.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When designing characters based on a theme or 'role-playing' concept rather than for game mechanics I find it's easiest to think of your class as the type of magic you use.

In that respect ESO is a bit different to most RPGs in that there are no dedicated 'non-magic' classes, or any need for one. All classes have access to all weapons and armour types and if you want to make a character which only uses weapon skills and no magical abilities you just don't use any of their class skills.

However there are some things which are impractical or maybe impossible with weapon skills because they're almost entirely focused on damage, so you might want to add in a few skills for other options like healing or invisibility and class skills are the main way to do that. There's also armour, world, guild and alliance war skills which give you other options too, and you can use potions and food as well.

Here's my quick summary of the 'themes' for each classes magic:
    • Templar: Light magic, for both healing and damage (through summoned spears and fireballs)
    • Dragonknight: Earth and fire magic, both used for defence and attack.
    • Sorcerer: Lighting magic, arcane magic and supernatural summoned creatures.
    • Nightblade: Daggers, stealth and shadow magic (both for hiding and for things like draining enemy health).
    • Warden: Ice magic and nature magic (for both healing and attack - summoning animals to fight).
    • Necromancer: Death magic - using corpses to power spells, summoning undead and life stealing.

(Note: This is not using terminology from TES lore because that's complicated and doesn't entirely line up with ESO's classes, for both in-universe and game design reasons, so I've tried to draw on fantasy archetypes instead.)

One final note: I recommend not playing necromancer if anything else fits because they have an added complication in that a lot of their skills count as criminal acts and will raise your bounty level, which can be a pain to deal with. If you're only planning to use a few skills anyway it might not matter because the ones you want might be legal, but at least early on it's probably best not to have to worry about it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • LordDragonMara
    LordDragonMara
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answer.
    Just to clarify something. My intention was never to use only Weapon ability/skills.
    My idea was to use like 2 weapon ability, so i can have an attack with my Weapon. In terms of One Hand and Shield for example - power slam(a shield attack), and one attack(animation) with my Sword for example RanSack/Pierce Armor or Deep/Heroic Slash. One of the two, and the rest to be class/whatever ability.

This is the only problem i have, it's with One hand and shield.
    I plan to have a lot of builds. But so far looking at the few available on the net Solo Builds for One Hand and a Shield, there is a Alcast DK, but he ain't using any Weapon skill at all, it's all from DK, and he is using Noxious Breath for spammable, and he doesn't respond in his videos when i ask what can i change to fit 2 One Hand + Shield ability.

There is a Necro, where i absolutely get the idea, and there is a Warden with even 3 Sword and Shield ability and a Nightblade that fit my desire.

As far as Two Handed Weapons, all the Solo build fit my desire, they usually have 2-3 weapon abilities, which also have great animation, and it's not so boring to just spam 1 skill.

BTW this is the Alcast Build:
    Is there a possibility and where i can fit one of the RanSack/Pierce Armor or Deep/Heroic Slash and Power slam ??

https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-dragonknight-sb-and-bow-build-pve/#content3
    Edited by LordDragonMara on September 29, 2021 3:12PM
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can drop all healing sets and just use Mirri companion, she will heal just fine.
    If you are going to play solo you can populate your skill bar however you want. You can use medium armor and 1h+shield.
  • LordDragonMara
    LordDragonMara
    ✭✭✭
    So DK will be a good choice? Still thinking between DK or Warden. :smiley:
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I recommend not playing necromancer if anything else fits because they have an added complication in that a lot of their skills count as criminal acts and will raise your bounty level, which can be a pain to deal with. .

Good point.

One way to "compensate" for that is to use a "swap equipment/skills" addon; some use Dressing Room, I use Alpha Gear, and I have a build conveniently called "The Totally Legal Build" with no "criminal" skills, which I swap to when around cities and such.

Of course I do forget it on occasion and rack up a bounty, but such is life.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So DK will be a good choice? Still thinking between DK or Warden. :smiley:

DK is popular as tank class. Warden can be tank, healer, magicka dd, stamina dd.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answer.
    BTW if i make a tank, with some DPS stuff, how slower i will be in killing monster compare to full DPS ???
    Let's say with a good DPS you are killing a group of monster for 5 seconds. With the tank the time will be double, let's say 10 sec, or triple, quadruple ?
    If i a do a dungeon or a trial with DPS for let's say for 5 minutes, what will be the time, double, triple, quadruple with a tank ?

in normal overland (not carglorn) u can kill mob groups in 1sec or less
    if u still use kinda the right gear maybe more tanky 3sec

(i have a setup fokused on maximum movement while sprinting and still can kill most enemies in 1-2 hits)
    Edited by KhajiitLivesMatter on September 29, 2021 8:25PM
  • LordDragonMara
    LordDragonMara
    ✭✭✭
    Thank guys.
    Will start with DK one hand + Shield, and then with Warden/Necro Two handed DPS. So i can enjoy both. :smiley:
    Edited by LordDragonMara on September 29, 2021 10:11PM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the answer.

It can be significantly slower, but that depends on your CP loadout more than anything else. If you want a tanky solo PVE DK, I would suggest going with a PVP S&B / Bow build. It sounds wrong, but that is your best bet. Can probably find something out there on youtube or another site.

My DK tank happens to be my master crafter, so when I go out into the wild to gather writs I will occasionally run into adds. What might take 1-2 shots max with a DD can take a few seconds with a pure tank build. Anything above an add I would imagine could take a while. I would not take one into a dungeon to DPS. Its a tank, though, so you'll be able to skip the line if you can tank
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answer.
    Just to clarify something. My intention was never to use only Weapon ability/skills.
    My idea was to use like 2 weapon ability, so i can have an attack with my Weapon. In terms of One Hand and Shield for example - power slam(a shield attack), and one attack(animation) with my Sword for example RanSack/Pierce Armor or Deep/Heroic Slash. One of the two, and the rest to be class/whatever ability.

This is the only problem i have, it's with One hand and shield.
    I plan to have a lot of builds. But so far looking at the few available on the net Solo Builds for One Hand and a Shield, there is a Alcast DK, but he ain't using any Weapon skill at all, it's all from DK, and he is using Noxious Breath for spammable, and he doesn't respond in his videos when i ask what can i change to fit 2 One Hand + Shield ability.

There is a Necro, where i absolutely get the idea, and there is a Warden with even 3 Sword and Shield ability and a Nightblade that fit my desire.

As far as Two Handed Weapons, all the Solo build fit my desire, they usually have 2-3 weapon abilities, which also have great animation, and it's not so boring to just spam 1 skill.

BTW this is the Alcast Build:
    Is there a possibility and where i can fit one of the RanSack/Pierce Armor or Deep/Heroic Slash and Power slam ??

https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-dragonknight-sb-and-bow-build-pve/#content3

You don't have to use other players' builds unless you want to. If you don't like what they're doing or it doesn't work for you ignore them and make your own build, or remove some skills you don't think you'll use and replace them with the ones you want.

I often look up builds to get an idea of useful morphs or skill combinations I haven't considered, but I don't think I've ever used an entire build. For one thing I often play solo so I always make sure I have a self-heal even on a DPS or tank build.

Sometimes it takes some trial and error to find the best skills to use, but IMO the end result is worth it, it's much more fun to have a build which fits you and your character than feeling stuck with what someone else says is better.

The only time it might be a problem is if you're trying to do 'end game' group content like vet dungeons and trials. Partially because it actually is harder and needs effective builds so if someone made a really strange build it might not be able to do enough damage or healing or whatever (it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing here), but also because it needs to fit with the rest of the group and they need to know what to expect from your character. If they're used to people using 'meta builds' from fan sites and assuming a particular class will provide particular buffs or debuffs or other effects you'll need to let them know you're doing something different and they'll need to allow for that. If you don't have an opportunity to have that conversation (like when using the group finder) it's probably best to just stick to expected builds.
    Edited by Danikat on October 1, 2021 9:39AM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • LordDragonMara
    LordDragonMara
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah this is exactly what i plan to do in the future when i known the game better, and learn what is good and what's not so.
    I usually don't follow strict guides on builds, and do mine. But currently when don't know much i definitely needed a starting point. Anyway with a lot of reading i hade an idea of how my skill bar going to look, at least the front one. And the head does not hurt from trying. Will try different combination, and which works will be the one.
    And yeah currently it will be all Solo.