The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spell penetration value changing with no clear reason?

DTStormfox
DTStormfox
✭✭✭✭✭
For no clear reason, my spell penetration value seems to be jumping from 5978 to 8952 and back. Am I missing something here? Is this a visual bug?

https://youtu.be/xnphzrekwMs

Some info:

Server: EU
Arena: no-cp, no-proc Cyrodiil
Class: Nightblade
Race: High Elf
Vampire/Werewolf: No
Mundus stones: The Apprentice & The Shadow
Gear: 5x Twice-born Star, 5x Amber Plasm, 2x Slimecraw
Weapon: Flame staff, sharpened trait, shock damage enchant
Abilities on bar: Reaper's Mark, Mass Hysteria, Swallow Soul, Merciless Resolve, Blinding Flare, Soul Tether.
Food/Drink: Witchmother's Potent Brew

Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
Veteran PvP player

• SkadiMZ
    SkadiMZ
    ✭✭✭
    tzbspk982wxf.jpg

You probably don't have the "prevent attacking innocents" option turned on in settings, so as NPCs walk by, it will increase your penetration by 2,974.

5,978 + 2,974 = 8,952
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it may have something to do with the Master Assassin passive. However, observe two things.

First, I don't 'aim' at any NPCs (or players) in the video and second, I have the "prevent attacking innocents" turned on.

clzhno4ffi9y.png
    Edited by DTStormfox on September 27, 2021 9:19AM
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• SkadiMZ
    SkadiMZ
    ✭✭✭
    Well, considering the values of penetration, it definitely has something to do with the master assassin passive, it's just a question of how the game evaluates when or if the penetration should be increased.

The "prevent attacking innocents" toggle may only prevent skills from firing, but seeing as how innocents can be attacked in certain situations, it probably makes more sense to have skills not fire instead of coding in situational context into every passive and skill.

Why not try to see if you can replicate this when you're in a player house without any target dummies, house guests or pets so that you can be sure the penetration is changing for no reason and isn't being influenced by NPCs or nearby players?