Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Disappointed with Garb of Grinning Horrors

Umbranox
Umbranox
Soul Shriven
I'd been looking forward to this one from the moment I first saw it, but it's yet another outfit that dyes very poorly. The main material tends to pick up dyes less well than most and the third material ends up much darker than one would expect.

Given this, it's very surprising that the bright yellow trim can't be dyed. It's the second most prominent material on the outfit, yet it manages to clash with the vast majority of dyes. Given how dark the third material tends to be, it seems like the trim would have been a much better option to make available.
  • SirGabenOfSteamia
    SirGabenOfSteamia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't have it yet so can't say anything about the dyeing, but I can certainly say that the garb is one of, if not, the best looking costume ZoS has ever released for ESO. I wish we got it split up as separate outfit styles instead of the chitinous stuff, just cuz it looks so damn cool and unique.
    And so, Akatosh revealed himself to a young Gaben, and granted him purpose.
    "Grant them Steam sales," he commanded.
    And obey, he did.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just disappointed that they've just mashed one possible outfit / motif (see side flaps, part connections and belt) and made it a costume instead locking all the possible customisation options via combinations and colouring, light-med-heavy differences etc. And a price 🤦
  • Umbranox
    Umbranox
    Soul Shriven
    Don't have it yet so can't say anything about the dyeing, but I can certainly say that the garb is one of, if not, the best looking costume ZoS has ever released for ESO. I wish we got it split up as separate outfit styles instead of the chitinous stuff, just cuz it looks so damn cool and unique.

The design is fantastic, for sure. It's just that with the colour clashing issues, I just don't want to wear it. Feels like a waste of gems because I can't make it look good.
  • Zorrin
    Zorrin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I *thought* I was lucky to get it in a crate because I wasn't going to spend 400 gems on it, but I hate that it doesn't match the mounts it comes with and that you can't get it to because that yellow stands out so much :(
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thankfully it looks great with black, gold, and red.

xXJXVbR.png

It also matches the radiant apex and meridian/spiderkith eyes.

QR1eWi2.png

Edited by SkaraMinoc on September 24, 2021 1:07AM
    PC NA
  • Umbranox
    Umbranox
    Soul Shriven
    The colour scheme I'd like to go for is purple and silver. If I could do that, it would probably be my go-to outfit from here on.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hollowfang Cruor, Birch White, Legate Black looks pretty good actually.

pxewwEb.png

I don't know why but the smile cracks me up.

YHkkPGP.png

Problem?

FdeFHU4.png

2vyoNPB.png
    PC NA
  • Nirntrotter
    Nirntrotter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the cut/modeling is fantastic, but the subpar dye channels combined with the gem price... lmao.
    Grand Warlord Arodel, Gryphon Heart
    <Serenity>
    AD MagDK, *2014, PC-EU | 49k+ achievement points
  • Umbranox
    Umbranox
    Soul Shriven
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Hollowfang Cruor, Birch White, Legate Black looks pretty good actually.

That is a pretty nice colour scheme with the red. I've been trying to make purple and/or silver work, but it just looks unfitting.

• NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

It also matches the radiant apex and meridian/spiderkith eyes.
    QR1eWi2.png
    ...That doesn't match. The gold sticks out like a sore thumb to the mount's silver.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Umbranox wrote: »
    That is a pretty nice colour scheme with the red. I've been trying to make purple and/or silver work, but it just looks unfitting.

Marble White, Birch White, Nacreous Purple

2FiIZd4.png

kNkkFUW.png

It's okay but not great.
    PC NA
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ...That doesn't match. The gold sticks out like a sore thumb to the mount's silver.

I agree the gold and silver clash. This is probably the best you can do.

DEcZNbB.png

Edited by SkaraMinoc on September 27, 2021 7:39AM
    PC NA
  • Vudokan
    Vudokan
    ✭✭✭
    That is disappointing. I have been really looking forward to this costume, but the undyeable gold trim is a deal-breaker for me. :(

Oh well, I guess it saves me a lot of currency.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For me, the dealbreaker was the floating hip flaps AGAIN. It doesn't even NEED blasted hip flaps!

ZOS must know by now that many of us don't like them - an option to toggle them on or off would be the best solution.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just disappointed that they've just mashed one possible outfit / motif (see side flaps, part connections and belt) and made it a costume instead locking all the possible customisation options via combinations and colouring, light-med-heavy differences etc. And a price 🤦

It would have been so much better as a motif or style page. Better yet a motif with different options for each weight. I'll eternally lament the fact that I can't pair the awesome jacket on it with a different set of pauldrons, pants and boots. Glad I didn't buy it knowing about the dye issues!
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It would have been so much better as a motif or style page. Better yet a motif with different options for each weight. I'll eternally lament the fact that I can't pair the awesome jacket on it with a different set of pauldrons, pants and boots. Glad I didn't buy it knowing about the dye issues!

Yeah that's definitely a letdown. Can easily imagine it fitting for a lot of different styles but here we are, sadly. They surely could make more money with it being outfit/motif style but instead we got this questionable decision.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It fell out of a crate so I used one of the pumpkin orange dye stamps on it (from the hollowjack crates) and then dyed the metal and accent in void pitch, all to use as an outfit option for my witch toon. The check pattern looks very smart in the pumpkin color. All that being said, I wouldn't have bought this with gems and I was hoping for a mount instead.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, it would have been great if they added this as a crown exclusive motif, because these usually go for 2.5k-6k, and you can't get the gems from equivalent number of crates (though fair enough if someone had accumulated gems that they didn't know what to spend them on), and also because as a motif you could mix and match the pieces, like different shoes, etc. It's just too pricey in gems for a costume, not to mention that costumes used to be in lower gem tiers before this season, so it's like triple the cost.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »

I agree, it would have been great if they added this as a crown exclusive motif, because these usually go for 2.5k-6k, and you can't get the gems from equivalent number of crates (though fair enough if someone had accumulated gems that they didn't know what to spend them on), and also because as a motif you could mix and match the pieces, like different shoes, etc. It's just too pricey in gems for a costume, not to mention that costumes used to be in lower gem tiers before this season, so it's like triple the cost.

I agree with the theory going around that this feels like an outfit style, perhaps originally slated for the next jester fest, that they decided to monetize. Squandered potential.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨