The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Anyone run a shock heavy attack build recently?

Larcomar
Larcomar
✭✭✭✭✭
Did a UU/Ui build a while back which was quite fun but then they cnaged the sets so you had to be in combat to activate them. Found that, even though I seemed to be stuck in combat 24/7 the game often wouldn't recognise it. Touch and go if the sets would activate. Was thinking about trying something similar in the ongoing quest to make my magdk relevant, maybe uu/ui or maybe just ui/spinners to keep it simple. Anyone tried UU / UI sets recently, how are they working?
  • Peacatcher
    Peacatcher
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not the kind of build you're after but I was using UI and either way of Fire or deadly strikes on a lightning heavy attack stam DK last patch and had 'some' success.

Havent played it as much this patch, people seem tankier though so it's still OK but doesn't do as much.
    Ps4 EU
  • Vynist
    Vynist
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what sets this guy was using, but last night in BGs a mag dk was doing nothing but heavy attack lightning attacks and hitting me for 18k.

I would be interested to know the sets for this type of build.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vynist wrote: »
    I don't know what sets this guy was using, but last night in BGs a mag dk was doing nothing but heavy attack lightning attacks and hitting me for 18k.

That's gotta be @slimwaffle the lightning heavy attack guy.

PC NA
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    @SkaraMinoc /shifty eyes "Who me?" ;)

• Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing he's using UU/Ui with a maelstrom staff, or maybe noble duelist. It sounds like it's still viable. I found keeping the buffs on both up clunky in the new system but maybe it's better. I think Ive still got the jewelry in a chest. Ill maybe try UI - Spinners set up and see if I can proc it by just weaving force pulse in. Might also help with the tankiness. He's currently playing the DC mini game but that's got to get changed soon or everyone's going to leave. Cheers larc.
    Edited by Larcomar on September 22, 2021 9:27AM
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Works good for me, didn't have any issues proccing inside the combat. Build-up is pretty long tho, combat starts like 1 GCD after you land first hit.
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't used it in PvP, but heavy lightning attacks can hit super hard, especially when target it off balance. I would like to bring my MagDK in Cyro to try it, but he's AD and I play DC.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is a DK running around in Cyro on PC EU with such a build. It has worked against me. My problem was that I attempted to dodge-roll, which does not help. Next time I will block. His lightning ticks hit me for 4K non-crit to 6K crit. This can be devastating, but I think it's situational. Corrosive Armor is very much part of the equation.

I did some brief duel testing with only UI. 3K non-crit ticks and 6K crit final explosion with Corrosive. Deadly Strike is useless. I would pair with UU, Noble Duelist or Mechanical Acuity (while it lasts) and I'd probably look into a medium armor build and stack weapon damage, not spell damage.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    There is a DK running around in Cyro on PC EU with such a build. It has worked against me. My problem was that I attempted to dodge-roll, which does not help. Next time I will block. His lightning ticks hit me for 4K non-crit to 6K crit. This can be devastating, but I think it's situational. Corrosive Armor is very much part of the equation.

I did some brief duel testing with only UI. 3K non-crit ticks and 6K crit final explosion with Corrosive. Deadly Strike is useless. I would pair with UU, Noble Duelist or Mechanical Acuity (while it lasts) and I'd probably look into a medium armor build and stack weapon damage, not spell damage.

You don't need any WD/SD, damage bonuses on undaunted sets do not scale.
    Edited by divnyi on September 26, 2021 7:31PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »

And what are you going to put on your jewelry? Recovery enchants? It's a heavy attack build. Might as well stack as much damage as you can is my point.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And what are you going to put on your jewelry? Recovery enchants? It's a heavy attack build. Might as well stack as much damage as you can is my point.

Stamrecovery, yes.

I'll make a vid soon. Probably. Have bunch of material, just need to stop being lazy.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Stamrecovery, yes.

I'll make a vid soon. Probably. Have bunch of material, just need to stop being lazy.
    Stam recovery is fair, but I guess that means you're using Sugar Skulls? I'd be more inclined to go for the weapon damage and a drink. If my plan was to rely on Acuity and Corrosive, I might even go for the Serpent Mundus, although I guess the Shadow may be best for damage.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stamrecovery, yes.

Stam recovery is fair, but I guess that means you're using Sugar Skulls? I'd be more inclined to go for the weapon damage and a drink. If my plan was to rely on Acuity and Corrosive, I might even go for the Serpent Mundus, although I guess the Shadow may be best for damage.

I'm using Orzorga's HP+tristat regens.

IMO acuity is a hard miss here. I'm not stopping you from trying, but consider this:

* Lightning heavy is approx 2-3s, while acuity frame is 5s.
    * Biggest damage is attacking Off-Balance with Empower and buffs on (ideally in maelstrom barrage). It happens.. rarely and you can't guarantee it happening fast.
    * Heavy attack isn't bursty build. Actually it's the problem of the build, it struggles to burst, so it's hard to kill solo.
    * Surely you can go all damage like PvE heavy attacks do, but then sets that give stats/procs might be even better, instead of heavy attack buff sets.

Saying all that, going full magic damage is a way to build heavy attack sorc. Yeah DK does more damage with heavy attack, but sorc has better skills and better utility, and with curse and fury, you can burst.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play a heavy attack mag dk with undaunted and maelstrom, bloodspawn and shalks. It is very fun. 1m or more damage + 600k or so off-healing per dm.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was hit by around 16k fire staff heavy attack in Cyrodiil the other day xBox NA. I was surprised 😮
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What do you guys think of "No proc" version: torug + sergeant's mail + malach ?

• gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    What do you guys think of "No proc" version: torug + sergeant's mail + malach ?

Better use maelstrom lightning with it, too. It works in no proc.
    That set up with the adjustment I said might be ok. But it won't be anywhere as good.
    Lightning heavy is 3x light attacks + 1 explosion. So undaunted + maelstrom add much more than sergeants.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Garion are you using the medium or the light undaunted set? I was thinking the medium as I cd proc with a mages guild ability for empower. I dont want to run both as it felt v clunky to proc both effects after the last change.

And shalks on jewels / weps or you mixing some heavy armor in there?
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Larcomar @fred4 made a heavy attack vid finally ^^

https://youtu.be/pIZAOJX6NIs
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Larcomar wrote: »
    Garion are you using the medium or the light undaunted set? I was thinking the medium as I cd proc with a mages guild ability for empower. I dont want to run both as it felt v clunky to proc both effects after the last change.

And shalks on jewels / weps or you mixing some heavy armor in there?

3 jewels of shalk + 2 heavy (pants, chest), the undaunted light set (proc with caltrops, hands, boots, belt, back bar resto).
    Front bar maelstrom charged lightning
    Bloodspawn helm + shoulders you can choose weights. At least 1 medium though for undaunted passive.
    Jewel enchants all SD, 2 swift 1 infused
    All tri stat glyphs, lighting enchant on lightning, wd sd enchant on resto (powered, I use coag on back bar)
    Wall/empowering chains (or a mages guild skill I guess)/cauterize/molten/shattering/corrosive
    Rat/radiating regen/coag/caltrops/volatile/resto staff ult
    You can swap race against time for mistform and go stage 3 vamp if you like for ultra tankyness, or just stage 1. I'm khajit so I like the minor force over mistform, but it definitely isn't as strong defensively. Higher vamp stage also increases ult cost, so there is that drawback.
    My build is great in group play. Tons of cross healing, huge heavies.
    You could drop shalks for the other undaunted set as well (as you cast many magicka abilities so it is always up) and just use minor heroism pots. Would make those heavies absolutely massive.
    Hope this helps @Larcomar
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @gariondavey thanks, that's really helpful. I ran both undaunted sets last time I ran this type of build. It was surprisingly good - I ended up with a decent stam pool with the medium, so triggered the light set with vigor and the medium set with wings. Made me remarkably survivable against zergs :)

I think given the changes Ill stick to one this time - running both felt like it was a long wind up before you were ready for combat. In the immediate future, I suspect there's nothing going to be better than DC, because, well, it's ridiculous but when they finally get around to sorting it out (please!) I might try your route. Bloodspawn + Shalks has got to be some serious ulti gen :)

Think Ill stick with RAT - this guys already loaded out with pysjic and I dont really want another vamp - Im not a fan of mistform, even nerfed. Plus I'm increasingly coming to the view that excess survivability is a double edged sword in this game. I can't help but notice that the so called "potatoes" who die quickly get a free port anywhere they want, while I'm usually stuck hiking back to the nearest fort because I can't actually get on the bloody horse for 15 minutes......
    Edited by Larcomar on October 6, 2021 2:52PM