The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lag / High Ping / Server Disconnects (PC - N/A)

chaz
chaz
✭✭✭✭
Hello, is anyone else having an issue . Since Friday, Sept 17, 2021 I have been getting hit by high Ping (999+) , game freezes, and quickly catches up where everything is fast forward, to the point where when it freezes, it just disconnects me from the server. I've done cleaning cache cookies and reboot, even uploaded a few updates to windows and G-Force. To the point now, just in case, I'm having my internet carrier come out to the house to inspect the wires outside and check my physical equiptment.

ESO is the only server I connect to that always , always, ...... always does this. And ZOS is quick to blame the member. Well I've been playing this game for 8 years now, ESO plus, and if last week my gaming was good connection, then why is it stinky now? I never get these problems, yet when they surface, it's only after complaint,,,, magickly the server gets fixed and I'm gaming normally again. The only change I made to game was an add on. It's called "ThankYouForYourService" and it basically emails (in game) the user that you spent a soul GEM on to rez their dead body.

Now other than 20% of people not knowing what that is and replying they're going to report me and some of them have such potty mouths, I turned it off, and I'm still getting high ping disconnects. It's not just my PC steam account, it's also my separate Windows version. And I have heard some people state they are having connection issues to.

Is this for realz?

njce50z5kghj.jpg

Thanks.
Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

ESO Beta Test Ultimate Question for control!
Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Zenimax. I just had my carrier out and they tested all the lines and my equiptment. Aside from what I stated above cleaning cache, checking firewalls a, ports, updating things, and the fact no current event is taking place, can you please check your server for people whom is having this issue. If you need any more additional information that you don't have under my file, please call me or email me directly.

l7c9hzzcisgw.jpg

85gfsbielqji.jpg

We did wireless speed testing to various mainland servers. I'm in hawaii. Like I said, I've been gaming with you for 8 years, and I kind of know im not a complete idi** , I mean fool when it comes to knowing what I'm talking about. If there is anything you feel I missed, but I strongly think it's just on your side since I'm not the only one. And Ive seen people disconnect and go offline all day playing random dungeons.

Thanks folks.
    Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
    Options
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    You really need to speedtest to diff Texas areas(I don't know exact location of servers),cause servers are there for PCNA.Testing in your area jsut shows your connection to local server.Also tracert might show where the issue is,could be a backbone,or node having issues you just happen to connect to.Try VPN,usually ppl with issues notice it's more stable,but still can have ~250ms pings,unless you lucky.I'm in Washington,get low ping in my area,but about 100-150ms in game,and about same depending on server I test in Texas
    Options
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can confirm this is going on EU server as well..
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
    Options
  • Luvtantius_Micocia
    Luvtantius_Micocia
    ✭✭✭
    I have lots of desyncs and disconnects on PC NA.
    I like eating sweetrolls and crushing skulls, and I am all out of sweetrolls.
    Options
  • udaba
    udaba
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same issue on EU.
    PC/EU 1600 CP+
    Options
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's now Tues Sept 21 just got kicked out of Alik'r Desert twice in a row +999 red ping. Same problems as OP.
    Options
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having problems too. Sometimes weaving doesn't even fire, others skills fire with delay. H*ck, today morning I was fishing in Murkmire, alone and without anyone else nearby and my ping was 200 (my average) 550, 200, 550, 200, 550 without no reason.
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
    Options
  • Soriana
    Soriana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have crashed more in the past week or so than I have since I started playing during closed beta. I crashed 3 separate times earlier today in one dungeon alone. It is past the ridiculous point.
    Options
  • Soul_Soliloquy
    For the past week or so I’ve been having the worst ping spikes I’ve ever encountered too, been playing for years & hasn’t been an issue before. Yes I’m an Aussie & normal for me is 220ish, but regularly been getting 999+ lately & becomes unplayable/crashes, mainly in group dungeons sadly :/
    GM Waking Dreams | PC NA
    Options
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speedtest don't determine how "fast" your connection is, but rather the type of connection and the type of server you are connecting to.

The game's client has problems on certain network configurations and OS configurations, and it's unlikely to ever be fixed soon.

Assuming the problem is not completely server lag, there are some things you can try to do that can result in improvement if your lag is resulting from the problems the solutions address...

Also, I have ping of 30-50 in PvE on PC NA, 45-60 in PvP 99.9% of the time even during primetime. I can say it definitely gives an advantage... Last login my ping was at 41 in PvE land, doing dungeons and on overworld.
    Options
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speedtest don't determine how "fast" your connection is, but rather the type of connection and the type of server you are connecting to.

The game's client has problems on certain network configurations and OS configurations, and it's unlikely to ever be fixed soon.

Assuming the problem is not completely server lag, there are some things you can try to do that can result in improvement if your lag is resulting from the problems the solutions address...

Also, I have ping of 30-50 in PvE on PC NA, 45-60 in PvP 99.9% of the time even during primetime. I can say it definitely gives an advantage... Last login my ping was at 41 in PvE land, doing dungeons and on overworld.

Bandwidth/speed is exactly what speedtest measures. It doesn't measure anything else is the problem. (you have it exactly backwards) When dealing with Zenimax servers the biggest problem is lost packets due to lagging server, not how fast you can talk to their server.
    Options
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno , Any idea why this is still an issue, I feel so disappointed , so much lag and disconnects, your server cost me too my time, and in game entertainment, who is going to pay me back? Pay me for my time lost, loot lost? removed from dungeon runs because I got logged out and could not get back in,? Reporting tickets does nothing. Here is the latest one Im waiting for reply.

whrffhapz641.jpg

Im sure your cs dept is just going to link me to the support tab to talk about ports, and firewalls. I already did that if you were paying attention I also had my carrier physically come out to check the hardware components and wires. Im fine and good. Speedtests check out, ZOS online eso is the only problem i have and you guys are never any good just saying we're looking into it.

Options
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bandwidth/speed is exactly what speedtest measures. It doesn't measure anything else is the problem. (you have it exactly backwards) When dealing with Zenimax servers the biggest problem is lost packets due to lagging server, not how fast you can talk to their server.

Not really, a speed test only tests the theoretical maximum speed. That is nowhere near what you will get in reality, and connection type being used to calculate that speed does matter. In fact, the FCC is filled with complaints about speed testing being misleading, and there are also lawsuits to ISPs attempting to force them to become more transparent and stop faking speed tests.

Most cable connections are actually interleaved connections that are shared between different people in the same area, so when people start watching TV or doing anything else down the same line, your speed suffers and latency also rises. That's ignoring the fact that interleaving itself introduces increased latency.

That's why they say "up to X speed" and put an asterick and always mention "network management" or "network balancing" -- the cable companies will always prioritize digital TV over your traffic.

That's not the case with DSL or even a cellular network, and it varies with fiber providers. That's why you can experience better ping for any game using a connection other than a cable one.

Now, onto "network management," congestion, and ESO. ESO isn't even recognized as a game by Windows, the ISPs don't treat the streaming data with priority because of the protocols they use, and ESO's traffic largely appears as HTTPS or a request with little time-sensitivity to network management algorithms on ISP's sides. Some ISPs also manage the network based on FIFO rules and request length and size further complicating the problem.

That means, once people turn on their TVs, once people torrent, once people stream, watch youtube, etc. and you have that cable line, you're in trouble because the network management algorithm places ESO dead last in importance. And all of that is most likely to happen during "primetime ESO" when people coincidentally notice the most lag, yet not everyone notices lag equally.

Now, the dev team if they cared could fix this problem in a week by rewriting the client, assuming they have the capability.

Since they won't it's up to the players to counter what their ISPs do, and no ISP is going to divulge how their network management works nor do they care that you have a bad experience in a game that isn't coded properly to the internet standards. They will tell you "everything working on our end" because it is working as intended on their end.

That's not to say ESO's servers can't be the problem, but all of that above adds to latency and lag, and will have the most impact on the gameplay experience besides ESO's servers and your PC configuration, which also can increase latency by a considerable amount.

As for packet loss, that is done on purpose by the client and is likely a security feature. No server operating in real-time wants stale data. Packet loss can also simply be the result of a latency increase on either the client, routing, or server side. Though from what I've seen, most of it is due to the client, esp. if they use a wireless connection to a router.
    Options
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    What blows my mind is all the generic comments. Especially all the tech talk. So the people running the show, you would think that the people they hired, that they actually pay for a living would have thought all that up in the first place. Since the usual and or all comments following is done by random users and not ZOS staff.

That said, again I will also emphasize this:

What blows my mind is 9 , out of 12 months a year I play this game with no issues. Then all of a sudden, a patch or secret update comes out and all of a sudden, High ping, lagging, and disconnects, and lo and behold, he comes the flood of posts, and the oh ever so smart comments and theories, and this goes on year after year after year.

No one else caught the trend?

First sign of real complaint, I estimate 2 weeks, maybe 3 tops, and gamers lives go back to normal, and oh no word to the wiser from any ZOS staff to tell you why.

No disrespect to anyone, but posting about cable people or ISP's and or line carriers or what not, I don't know if you're furrealz, and legitly trying to help, or a supersecret zos staff with non zos account just randomly chucking blame to the other guy.

My guess, seriously, if 9,,,,out of 12 months I game away like no ones business, and a update is pushed, and it causes an issue, sure I can say ZOS's server is junk, or maybe, during 9,,,, out of 12 months if I have no issue until the update, then maybe it's just quit possible IT'S A CODING ISSUE !!! Now I'm not expert, but year after year, and surprisingly most of these times just so happen to happen, when I'm on vacation TRYING to get the most bang for my buck, and this place has always been thee worse customer service ever. I talked to a random guy on the street, knows nothing of computers, game or servers, and his reaction was "You cannot go to FCC and complain? That company has the market closed and you cannot go to anyone else?" type of comment. And it's true, without Zenimaxes, or "MICROSOFTS" server, then whom is it to which we can go to? How can we play our game? Why is Zenimax forcing us to play on one server? Even the people who made WOW placed another server elsewhere, placed one in Hawaii so people can play better. More efficient.

What is zenimax's excuse? I mean this game alone and by itself is litterally a cash cow, they have enough money in the budget to probably place 10 more servers at random locations around the world and not take a huge dip in the coffee fund. It would probably just take 1 more. Can place is some where so we all can have access. I mean how many millions of players use ESO? And thats just counting the U.S.

But basically, true I do not get here much often, and now when I do it seems only to complain. There isn't anything that stands out anymore, to which I wish only for great customer service and I would probably hang out more and have my spirits lifted.

But lately, this game has turned to dirt. Lower than dirt, people caring more about dps and blowing thru dungeons. skipping trash and GAWD forbid if you're on a quest and miss the change to even hit that 1 boss, the full pledge isn't completed to turn in and you have to go thru the dungeon all over again. HOW FRUSTRATING is that?

You have fake tanks , and fake healers. In normal dungeons, lately I can tolerate a fake tank, because I'm spending resources to kill an enemy. What I will not tolerate is a fake healer. If I have to spend extra resources to heal when I should have been hit by an external heal, then even I will trigger to kick that person from the session, or I will just rage quit and find another dungeon. Seriously. Then you have a slew of new people and GAWD bless'em, but when it comes to DPS, the first dude to always rage quit is the tank. Because there is no real dps in there.

Story lines, well darn, I wish, really wish I can say something positive about it, but when I'm getting slammed by invisible NPC's and dying left and right because what I'm doing and the "REAL TIME SERVER" CANNOT even keep pace with me, or after running forward so long only to find myself zipped back by magic to the original starting point , and only to find 30 or 40 NPC's all coming at me and again, because the "REAL TIME SERVER" could not keep pace with me, it litterally set me back about 150 to 200 paces back where I had already been and the invisible NPC's that weren't there are all there now triggered and ready to smash.

Yeah, so game play right now, not so much fun, more like FRUSTRATING!!!!!!

FRUSTRATING!!!!!

So, what Blows my mind is, 9 out of 12 months I'm fine, ZOS pushes an update and things turn to crap, but it's all my fault because I'm doing it wrong.

Thanks Zenimax / basic windows MICROSOFT LORDS , thank you so much.

Options
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @chaz

It's nothing to do with a relation to ZOS, it's simply reality.

Latency can be introduced at any part of the equation, including on your end and because of your PC configuration. And, like I said, unless everyone is lagging like in Cyrodiil, seriously doubt the problem is all ZOS and nothing on your end or your ISP isn't contributing to it.

Also, FCC regulates telecom companies, so that guy on the street isn't very knowledgeable ;) Maybe Google is a better stranger to ask questions to.

I have no idea about your connection besides the fact that it's a. interleaved (adds latency), b. upload speed being 1/20th of download suggests that "down" speeds are the result of aggregation and scaling by the ISP - trick to increase speeds that adds latency.

You can Google it if you want ;)

Options
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @chaz

Latency can be introduced at any part of the equation, including on your end and because of your PC configuration. And, like I said, unless everyone is lagging like in Cyrodiil, seriously doubt the problem is all ZOS and nothing on your end or your ISP isn't contributing to it.

Also, FCC regulates telecom companies, so that guy on the street isn't very knowledgeable ;) Maybe Google is a better stranger to ask questions to.

I have no idea about your connection besides the fact that it's a. interleaved (adds latency), b. upload speed being 1/20th of download suggests that "down" speeds are the result of aggregation and scaling by the ISP - trick to increase speeds that adds latency.

It's well established that the connection issues with ESO are almost exclusively with the ESO servers. Years of tracereoutes etc. have shown the ESO servers to be the bottleneck. The problem is very rarely the client side or somewhere in between the client and ESO servers.

You seem to be trying to confuse people with random nonsense about how internet connections work. Please don't do that.
    Options
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, w/e Z. You win. Not even gonna try to log back in after MULTIPLE kicks.
    Just let me wear down my sub, get rid of my crowns, and get the HELL out of the game. LOL :smiley:
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
    Options
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @chaz

It's well established that the connection issues with ESO are almost exclusively with the ESO servers. Years of tracereoutes etc. have shown the ESO servers to be the bottleneck. The problem is very rarely the client side or somewhere in between the client and ESO servers.

You seem to be trying to confuse people with random nonsense about how internet connections work. Please don't do that.

Well-established, yet doesn't affect everyone equally...? Yeah...

Also, I said that part of the issue is their ISP and on the client end as well, not all. Client and server both work together to make the game work, that's basic networking.

The original poster himself claimed he had no lag until suddenly, yet that lag that affects him is unequal on the population of the game, but it's immediately the servers and unlikely on his route to them even though routing contributes to the most lag out of any step in the send and receive process...?

Just because they have no option in ISP doesn't make it any better or less faultless for pulling the wool over his eyes with a connection that's been interleaved and aggregated to make it appear fast. Fast for downloading files, not fast for gaming or any real-time applications. He's paying for less than he is really getting, in fact his real speed might actually be 1/8th what the speed test shows or less which is why it isn't even relevant ;)

He attempted to use speed to justify why he shouldn't lag, and that was called out for being faulty logic and exactly why is stated in the post you call "nonsense."

The poster could still get better performance out of it, but now I changed my mind about writing a guide (that would improve speed on other games too, not just ESO). I'll let people far smarter than I, with 40 ping most of the time, do it instead.
    Options
  • DebaZapelo
    DebaZapelo
    ✭✭
    chaz wrote: »
    Hi Zenimax. I just had my carrier out and they tested all the lines and my equiptment. Aside from what I stated above cleaning cache, checking firewalls a, ports, updating things, and the fact no current event is taking place, can you please check your server for people whom is having this issue. If you need any more additional information that you don't have under my file, please call me or email me directly.

l7c9hzzcisgw.jpg

85gfsbielqji.jpg

We did wireless speed testing to various mainland servers. I'm in hawaii. Like I said, I've been gaming with you for 8 years, and I kind of know im not a complete idi** , I mean fool when it comes to knowing what I'm talking about. If there is anything you feel I missed, but I strongly think it's just on your side since I'm not the only one. And Ive seen people disconnect and go offline all day playing random dungeons.

Thanks folks.

I will repeat what I said in another thread.

Ping to a random internet test server is one thing, ping to the game server is a different story.
    In the end it mostly depends on the network route that is used for the connection between you and the server.

Not every ISP uses the same route.

Please learn how network connection work then come back here.

PS4 EU
    PC EU
    Options
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    So today was horrible, just horrible, lag and high ping, game teleports me back to the beginning on my path as if I never left the area, invisible enemies hitting and killing me left and right when there is nothing there.

ZOS, when are you going to fix this issue?

If there is something I can do I would gladly look into it and may consider it.

Other than the steps you have listed in the support page because it has nothing to do with that. All year round I have no issues, and its only during these events you get even more people to play for all these new niknaks and double nodes and or exp, I get bottle necked and have to go thru this every year.

I'm just so frustrated with this already!

Options
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    My question is why haven`t they fixed this problem, are they trying to run gamers off? I have moved from one area to another over this weekend and still getting the same glitches, high latency and input lag from using skills.
    Options
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    madman65 wrote: »
    My question is why haven`t they fixed this problem, are they trying to run gamers off? I have moved from one area to another over this weekend and still getting the same glitches, high latency and input lag from using skills.

because it is not entirely their problem.

i live in england and play on the na server, because i have friends there. the only time i have latency and connection issues is in cyrodiil at peak times.
    Options
  • Arisu_Kenshin
    Arisu_Kenshin
    Soul Shriven
    I have been having terrible lags lately. :(
    One of my characters got blocked during these lags. I have been unable to return access to it for several days. :/

I cannot loot corpses, a message appears that the target is out of range.
    NPCs and enemies move with a delay or teleport.

I have no problem with internet speed, I have tested.
    I am located in the European region and play on an EU server.
    Options
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pc na ps4 na.. Since last night having lots of issues with very log loading screens so long that I often time out and am disconnected.
    Right now trying to log on to ps4 and I'm not having much luck. If I do get on when I try to leave my house I time out and am disconnected.
    I get lost lobby connection error on pc and ps4 its no valid internet connection.
    Options