The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PTS Update 32 - Feedback Thread for The Deadlands

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for The Deadlands. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • How many quests did you complete?
  • Which areas did you explore?
  • What’s the favorite and least favorite content you encountered?
  • Did you encounter one of the new wandering Executioners? If so, what did you think of them?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on September 21, 2021 2:45PM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Initial impressions...

The "Burn" side, which is closest to the TES 4 Deadlands, did not seem very dangerous. It looks like an Oblivion plane, but feels about as threatening as Deshaan. I miss the Harrada Root that constantly snaps at you. I only came across one Spiddal Stick that tried to poison me, although I think there are plenty that don't even bother trying. There was a recolor of a Murkmire plant that attacked me, but I only ran across one of those. Environmentally boring, I am afraid.

The "Sever" side felt more dangerous, although the cyclones are more fun to ride than a source of fear. :smile: Environmentally interesting.

Edit: Removed comment about the wandering bosses being too easy to kill. Apparently, what I encountered was not the wandering boss I thought it was.
    Edited by Elsonso on September 23, 2021 2:21AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    The dye options of the House Hexos/Ancestral Imperial heavy armour are weird as you cannot dye the trim unlike the original base game style but you get like the weird option of dying the chainmail of the cuirass which imo should share the dye option with the main armour with a slot for the armour trim. As right now the older version of the armour has better dye options then the newer one.

Screenshot_20210921_170753.png

Base game Imperial T4 heavy as an example (mixed in with other styles but the chest, Feet and belt are Imperial style)
    se1e3ritn3xf.png
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
    Gaius Sulla 50 Cyrodiil DragonKnight.
    Livia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Nightblade.
    Divayth-Fyr 50 Dunmer Sorcerer.
    Ragnar Shatter-Shield 50 Nord Dragonknight.
    Selvia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Templar.
    Attrebus Mede 50 Cyrodiil Warden.
    Zirath Urivith 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Dame Edwinna Gelas 50 Breton Dragonknight.
    Agrippina Tharn 50 Cyrodiil Necromancer.
    Bedal Dren 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How many quests did you complete?
    About 12 or so, couldn't do anymore because of all the bugs with quest givers and so on, could only advance so far into main quest as well due to the same reason.

Which areas did you explore?
    Both areas, they are beautiful, loving the fargrave zone, just wishing could explore outside of the city other than met with invisible walls. Deadlands is super cool, really like the feel of the zone, just not the layout..

What’s the favorite and least favorite content you encountered?
    The Deadlands map. It feels like Clockwork city with the deadlands fazed out around the edges, makes it feel like there is more to explore than what was shown and thought this DLC we were going to the Deadlands in full...not just a part of it. This might not be the desired effect but it feels like the zone is a small part of something greater. Coldharbour (to compare) with it being an island/continent it feels like that is all of it and I have fully explored/conqured it. The Deadlands doesn't fill that completion tick.

Did you encounter one of the new wandering Executioners? If so, what did you think of them?
    Yes! Was fun...like the fact they are hard to do solo and hit like a truck.

Do you have any other general feedback?
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the new daedric models! Cannot wait for base game update so all daedra look like this. Hats off to your design team, yet again! Love the concept of Fargrave that it is a inbetween place and wondering Daedra/mortals alike are living together, just feel like needs to be weaved into world more...needs a portal to Coldharbour (after you done main story) if it links/easier to get to other planes of Oblivion. And other portals to future daedric planes..

Do love that two planes of Oblivion was added and like both, but do think more attetion/focus to the Deadlands, felt abit small /empty for a Daedric Prince Realm. Also wish that you could explore Fargrave beyond the city, there is a big sand dunes that im blocked by very obvious invisible walls, takes away exploration, again same feeling that I can explore a little bit, but not in full. -sad noises-

The models and artwork for both zones is beautiful and nailed it with the Dagon themed stuff.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have any other general feedback?

Shout out to whomever was responsible for hiding the crafting areas, they were the LAST things I found on the map.

Did you encounter one of the new wandering Executioners? If so, what did you think of them?
    Yes. It will be interesting to see how these go over. I expected them to aggro much farther out than actually happened.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on September 22, 2021 3:47AM
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    Oblivion Gates (Portals) seem unchanged for their Deadlands (zone) versions which makes it very confusing and doesn't really make sense on why Dagon is invading himself (dialogue seems unchanged and there's zero gameplay difference).
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are prevented from talking to people in fargrave for being a stage 4 vampire. seeing as the denizens are primarily daedra, they should not care about our condition. idk if werewolves are also treated the same.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion Gates (Portals) seem unchanged for their Deadlands (zone) versions which makes it very confusing and doesn't really make sense on why Dagon is invading himself (dialogue seems unchanged and there's zero gameplay difference).

I agree. Wouldn't the portals in the Deadlands take me back to Blackwood?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please consider adding a portal to Coldharbour to the Plaza of Portals in Fargrave.

Being a gateway into various Oblivion planes it only has year-long story portals atm which is really breaks immersion for someone like me knowing about Coldharbour being in game. I realize that it's tied to MQ but one can get here via porting to a friend without a quest, so why not? Tie its visibility to completion of "Messages across Tamriel" probably.
  • TheRimOfTheSky
    TheRimOfTheSky
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's nice that there's portals to the public dungeon part of the Deadlands but could that dungeon be renamed to The Deadlands: Ganonah or something? The amount of things called just "The Deadlands" is lowkey annoying
  • ray75228
    ray75228
    first impressions...

I LOVE the puzzle in the Tower of Conviction with the crystals and gates. Reminded me of MYST (more precisely, Riven). It's not difficult but it's sooo much better than "match the four buttons to the four symbols".

love being able to pet the bear (as everyone will i'm sure).

The Sever is daaaaaaark. i fell off cliffs twice. I kinda like it, but i wonder how my eyes will appreciate an hours long play session.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    you are prevented from talking to people in fargrave for being a stage 4 vampire. seeing as the denizens are primarily daedra, they should not care about our condition. idk if werewolves are also treated the same.

Good point, although the fix would need a tweaking to the crime and punishment system or turning off the Daedra's ability to report crimes.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • ray75228
    ray75228
    LOVE riding the tornados. especially when my character screams like a horror queen. :D
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It also seems that Vampires are not able to feed in the Daedra within Fsrgrave and the Deadlamds even though those same type of Daedra can be fed from in places like the Imperial City.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ray75228 wrote: »
    LOVE riding the tornados. especially when my character screams like a horror queen. :D
    I agree. 10/10 tiny tornados. Even Bastian flew up in one. I laughed at him.

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its weird that portals to the Deadlands Public Dungeon are also known as the Deadlands, which you access from the Deadlands dungeon. Please give it a more unique name
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    Its weird that portals to the Deadlands Public Dungeon are also known as the Deadlands, which you access from the Deadlands dungeon. Please give it a more unique name

It needs more then that TBH. Because it sounds like the Daedra use the same voice lines which are specific for the portals opening in Blackwood which some are "go spread our lord's influence" and them also talking of conquering this place (Blackwood) and going north (Imperial City).
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
  • AlwaysDancing
    AlwaysDancing
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to have an issue with the Deadlands. When I first travel in, everything is okay, but 15-30 seconds later I lose the ability to do anything but walk around and light attack. My skill and attribute bars disappear, and I can't access any menus via keyboard commands (inventory, character info, crown store, etc.) My ESC key doesn't even take me back to the normal menu.

I have tested this several times, on a couple different characters, and have the same results. All addons and libraries are turned off, and I have tried the repair with no difference.

Anyone else having this issue?
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dissapointed with Valkynaz Nokvroz in the Deadlands Main Quest. He was hyped up as the secondary main antagonist and even his sword seemed important via the official trailer, official promotion, and in-game, but it turns out it is never brought up or anything. Nokvroz suffers from barely having a significant presence within the DLC, and is reduced to a disappointing boss fight at the end, which is what all quest bosses overall feel like because they need to be easily beatable for people who only care for story. I feel like he is an overall irrelevant addition to the plot, and feels shoehorned in. They could have used the pre-established characters from Battlespire that follow Dagon, like Faydra Shardai (who gets a mere mention in Blackwood), or Imago Storm to take his place, because Nokvroz will just flow straight into irrelevancy just like how Zumog Phoom did. I do however commend ZOS for trying to come up with an original character, and the artists did an amazing job into making him look unique. I loved the additions of Arox, the Madam, and other original characters that are not on the side of the antagonists.
    Edited by Aliyavana on October 2, 2021 11:39PM
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it happens a lot when the overland is so easy. Character warns you to be careful because the enemy is dangerous, you do run up to them and press R and they die.

I really do like Fargrave but so far It feels like I don't spend enough time there before I am thrown off into the Deadlands
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In your first encounter with Madam Whim her wording towards you doesn't change regardless of the fact if you completed the main quest of the base game, or in the process of it. She'll ask you if you're interested in trading your soul.
    Which might not be in my possession. That's quite... immersion breaking.
    Screenshot is taken on a character who has God of Schemes quest not finished.
    yf8bez6jodcn.png

Please consider giving this moment some variation.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    General Feedback
    Went to Fargave and got a feel for it. The set pieces are FANTASTIC and is one of the better feeling areas you've made; feels like a Daedric Hew's Bane. The zone itself has a strong narrative and really is one of the more intriguing.

But, I can just tell I'll be done with the zone once I've completed the DLC. From a functional perspective, it feels like - again - our regular feedback on making cities more useful has fallen on deaf ears. I'm not able to use Fargrave as a base. It's too spread out. The crafting area is not just one - but two - loading doors from the wayshrine and horse trainer.

The Plaza of Portals has another barking NPC too. Guys. Enough of the "YOU THERE!!!!!!" NPCs already. This has been talked about a million times - we don't want to be bothered the moment we come into an area. Move the NPC over to the side where I have to intentionally walk past her to activate the dialogue. Get rid of the "You there!".
    Edited by Destai on October 24, 2021 11:05PM