Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Back after 5 years - Advice on Warden and Necro?

MrTarkanian48
MrTarkanian48
✭✭✭✭
I took a long break from ESO and am just getting back into it with some friends who are brand new to the game. I played a lot previously and understand a lot of the concepts of the game. I have 6 leveled characters, (Altmer Mag NB, Bosmer stam NB, Imperial Stam DK tank, Khajit Stam DK DD, Altmer Mag templar, Orc Stam Sorc). I mix it up between PVE and PVP on these different characters and enjoy both PVE and PVP. I am pretty rusty but the game is starting to come back to me.

A lot has changed obviously and I am trying to get caught up on the changes. Since I left they added the Warden and Necromancer class and I am mostly unfamiliar with them. I am not sure how I feel about the summoner playstyle, but I am considering starting a new character and leveling it up with my friends as they are starting out fresh, and was thinking of giving one of these classes a try just to do something new/different.

I just enjoy playing the game in general, but I also like to be competitive. I understand that the meta for PVE and PVP are very different and there's not one class that dominates in all areas.

Any experienced players, anyone have advice or insight on what you would choose between Mag Warden, Stam Warden, Mag Necro, or Stam Necro? Or if theres any combo that is particular underperforming that I should avoid? Thanks

Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
Altmer NB (DPS)
Imperial DK (Tank)
Redguard DK (DPS)
Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll address only the PVE side of it as I'm familiar with both classes in PVE. Stam necro is the top stamina DD. Mag necro is currently a very strong DD. Both are unlike any class you've played. Their skills are expensive and sustain will be something you will need to watch. Both will also feel very clunky at first as their attacks are atypical of other classes. The tether is something that takes time to figure out, as does blastbones. But once you get a handle on them, it is a fun, effective class.

Warden for me is a different story. I did not like the playstyle of the warden as a DD as everything seemed delayed and relatively weak compared to something like a nightblade or sorc. I know others will disagree, but that was my experience. However, I absolutely love my warden as a tank. Great CC's, great healing/damage combos, and strong group support.

Currently, stamdens are the bottom of the DD rankings, for whatever that is worth.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For PvE: I would suggest making either a dark elf or khajiit, so you can switch between mag and stam without any issues.

Necros feel way more clunky due to blastbones being derpy, and the tether being really questionable. Half the time one or the other will be greyed out when it comes back around in the rotation, even if you're literally standing on the boss.

Wardens have similar rotations to necros, at least the mag side does, except warden skills actually work. They also hit like a truck. I haven't played a necro in like 4 months after switching to a warden.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For just getting back into it and trying out the classes, I wouldn't recommend Vampire. The non-vampire skill cost increases are a bit of a hassle unless you know what you're building into or are able to run with a group that can compensate the damage loss through group buffs (so long as they can heal you, Blood Frenzy, Blood for Blood, Mist Form, and using the mythc 'Ring of the Pale Order' don't allow group heals when they're in use).

It should also be noted that Magicka Necromancer's secondary effect of "Stalking Blastbones" will only grant the 10% damage increase unless you can line of sight your target because it will automatically leap otherwise due to changes made back in Harrowstorm (read under the developer's comment in the Necromancer's section).

Also, make sure you really train yourself with the corpse mechanic because corpse placement and the timing of abilities that uses corpses is also how you maximize your DPS/HPS.