The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Should I do all the Allience quests on one character or spread them out over three?

Eira_Rosynhwyr
Eira_Rosynhwyr
✭✭✭
In ESO, your characters are locked to a single class and unless you want to regularly respec (I don't) and a single role as well. Or at least as far as I can tell. That's fine, it just means I need to have multiple characters. There's a certain kind of enjoyment to be had from that.

As it so happens, there are three alliance, so I very much feel like making three characters.

However, looking at this sticky about content order it seems like one character is expected to play through all the alliance stories. That doesn't feel right. Is the Cadwell thing just a convince, or is it a main part of the story?

Please try to avoid spoilers were possible. I'm one of those weirdos who likes to take in the story.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I'd say it's more of a convince, yes. it's explained pretty straight though. But the thing is, the more people you'll met along your way the more you'll be able to pick some special lines with later in all dlc content. In a way for a measured experience I'd be having one main that doing everything (that most people do I believe) and a sidekicks for "just DC", or "just Summerset" to have a bit of a different experience if I would be willing to.
  • Eira_Rosynhwyr
    Eira_Rosynhwyr
    ✭✭✭
    I see. Thanks.

How important are those special lines? My issue is that ESO is huge and I've never jumped into an MMO this late. I feel as though I'll never get through all the content at this rate. As it is, I've been playing FF14 for 7 years and still have tons of things left to do with the next expansion coming out in November. And in that game, you only play one character.

edit: It could, of course, also be that I'm over estimating how much of the game is left. I appear to be about half way through Auridon, and have spent about 30 hours here. Extraplating to the rest of the island, that's 60 hours per zone. With 4.5 zones left that's 270 hours for just the main story. Though admittedly a drop in the bucket (even Warframe has three times that in playtime to say nothing of FF14 or Rift), but still.

I'm not sure what I'm getting at there. I think I just have newbie's anxiety. Again, I'm not used to starting so late.
    Edited by Eira_Rosynhwyr on August 26, 2021 2:06PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can go either way. I prefer doing all three alliances on each character because it really makes things easier later in game doing things that require you to travel all over Tamriel - you already have the wayshrines and know the zones. I find the game so darn big that as long as I space them out, repeating the same zones on differing characters feels fresh every time.

The Cadwell thing to send you to the other two alliances works well enough as far as being plausible - in a land with magic.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're virtually unimportant but can be kind of a pleasant surprise or a nod.

It looks huge on a first glance but stories aren't that long to be honest, base game had a lot of side quests but it's manageable.. You can jump to whatever story you'll like as no content difficulty changes.

There also no drawback at being new player like in games such a wow afaik, you can go everywhere and after reaching level 50 (which is pretty fast) only need 160 champion points (2-3 random normals?) to be on a gear cap which never changed for years and won't be changing anytime soon helping not wasting time on regrinding to stay relevant.
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    I generally wanted to take the approach of keeping the alliance questing separate by alt character, but the lack of account wide achievements tends to have the focus on my main character instead of multiple. The Cadwell Silver/Gold quest through the other alliances also felt wrong when a quest has you killing those of your characters alliance.

This also goes beyond just alliance questing. I wanted to keep Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood to a separate character (my stealth thief), but ended up having to do it on the main as it was integrated into the zone questing.

At this point I don't plan to do zone questing (even side quest) on any alt, I finish the main quest and will not do silver/gold again. I just try to level the skill lines needed for that character with a minimum amount of questing. (Though besides my thief, my alts will mainly just be doing daily crafting writs until I get more zone completion done on my main.)

• etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edit: It could, of course, also be that I'm over estimating how much of the game is left. I appear to be about half way through Auridon, and have spent about 30 hours here. Extraplating to the rest of the island, that's 60 hours per zone. With 4.5 zones left that's 270 hours for just the main story. Though admittedly a drop in the bucket (even Warframe has three times that in playtime to say nothing of FF14 or Rift), but still.

I'm not sure what I'm getting at there. I think I just have newbie's anxiety. Again, I'm not used to starting so late.

I really wouldn't worry about that. They add one new chapter a year or so often with a second smaller DLC zone. You will catch up with that over time. The side quests are often worth doing too - many of them not only add colour to the story but show other aspects of the story and characters.
    Too many toons not enough time