Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Multithreaded rendering crash to desktop

DocratesCR
Enabling Multithreaded rendering gives me a great experience because of FPS stability, with almost no drops in some dense regions like North Elsweyr or Summerset. My problem is the game crash without any message, it just goes back to windows desktop with no "report to zenimax message". It happens always with the option enabled, but it can take some time to crash, between 5 and 30 mins of gameplay. Without the option, I can play just hours without a crash.

My game settings are set to Maximum, playing at 5120 x 1440. My setup is i9 11900k, RTX 3090, 64 RAM, and a dual monitor, the main monitor is the gaming one, the second one is a 3440 x 1440 were I use to see Discord and others apps.

I have check windows Event Viewer and there are no info about errors or critical from applications.

I know its BETA, I just want to report because my setup is unusual.

9m972i3u2qhe.png

v5flbaj7jgrd.png

Edited by ZOS_Bill on March 31, 2022 7:45PM
  • deahamlet
    deahamlet
    Soul Shriven
    I crash with it on or off... so not sure it's definitely that option. Also had most groups in dungeons since update lose a person at least once due to DC (sometimes me, most times not me). I think it crashes more often with it on, but not enough data to go on.
  • deahamlet
    deahamlet
    Soul Shriven
    deahamlet wrote: »
    I crash with it on or off... so not sure it's definitely that option. Also had most groups in dungeons since update lose a person at least once due to DC (sometimes me, most times not me). I think it crashes more often with it on, but not enough data to go on.

Ugh, by DC I meant they crashed and appeared offline. They said they crashed when they returned. (no idea how to edit replies in this forum)
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @DocratesCR

Have you tried disabling the multithread option to see if you still run into any crash issues in ESO?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • DocratesCR
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @DocratesCR

Have you tried disabling the multithread option to see if you still run into any crash issues in ESO?

Yes, this crash to desktop without any message (the game just closes) only happen if the option is enable. I can normally play as always without crashes if the option is disabled.

I haven't found any coredump or event log to get more information about this issue.

I can enter the game, play a while (between 5 and 30 mins) and then it just close.
  • Ultravylence
    Ultravylence
    ✭✭✭
    I have been using the new multithread feature as well. I have an i9 and 2080 TI. My FPS gains are amazing...but...since ESO is soo CPU intensive this can really heat up my CPU during gameplay, while my GPU is barely working. I have experienced crashes as my CPU is spiking to over 80C in Cyrodil or populated areas.
  • DocratesCR
    I have been using the new multithread feature as well. I have an i9 and 2080 TI. My FPS gains are amazing...but...since ESO is soo CPU intensive this can really heat up my CPU during gameplay, while my GPU is barely working. I have experienced crashes as my CPU is spiking to over 80C in Cyrodil or populated areas.

I can confirm something like that too. With Multithread my CPU is getting higher temps reaching +80 ºC. Usually it stays at 70 ºC max.

My CPU runs at 5,2 Ghz but I have done stability tests using Aida64 for hours without error alerts or hardware failures, reaching 90 ºC and it's stable.

@Ultravylence is your crash like mine? Usually, when TESO crash you get a message window to report "Was what you doing?" and send it to Zenimax, but this crash just closes the game and you get back to desktop.
  • DocratesCR
    Also, my game runs at +150 fps at 5120 x 1440. I removed the cap limit of 100 fps by editing the Usersettings.txt to see if maybe the crash was because a limit, but it continues.

Maybe people without this issues runs the game at less fps because they report lower temperatures in their CPU's.
  • hackdrag0n
    hackdrag0n
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also experiencing the same. Game runs smooth as butter with the option enabled but will randomly hard crash to the desktop after some time playing. It seems to happen during combat whenever there are a lot of effects going on.
  • Ultravylence
    Ultravylence
    ✭✭✭
    DocratesCR wrote: »
    @Ultravylence is your crash like mine? Usually, when TESO crash you get a message window to report "Was what you doing?" and send it to Zenimax, but this crash just closes the game and you get back to desktop.

I have crashed to the error report window and ESO did crash in my case(s).

• davapoole
    davapoole
    ✭✭✭
    same playing instanly on desktop but also done same with it off also
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks for your feedback, everyone. We’ve taken your feedback to the dev team and they are currently investigating. Feel free to leave any additional details, as that can help the dev team as well. Thanks everyone.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh, by DC I meant they crashed and appeared offline. They said they crashed when they returned. (no idea how to edit replies in this forum)

Refresh the screen with your browser, then in the top right corner of your post you will see an options icon to the left of the post number. Click on that. Unfortunately it only appears once you have refreshed the screen.
  • Haroeris
    Haroeris
    ✭✭✭
    I've crashed to desktop multiple times in Rockgrove this week as well, as have a couple other folks in my prog group.
    PC-NA since 2015, cp1800+
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I chrashed to desktop multiple times in Cyrodiil. Yesterday maybe 6 times in 4 hours.
  • Zabagad
    Zabagad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luede wrote: »
    I chrashed to desktop multiple times in Cyrodiil. Yesterday maybe 6 times in 4 hours.

I have the same problem and don't use the new multithread option.
    Since U31 more ctd then before - but Cyro much much more then before.
    Every day since U31 I crash minimum one time in cyro while fighting a player for the first time.
    Never had this before.

So I believe that there are more ctd in general - and not (only) because of the new multithread...
    PC EU (noCP AD) Grey/Grau AD
    Please raise the population caps.
    @ZOS - Convert the heal on "Hardened Ward" into a HoT pls.
  • DocratesCR
    Zabagad wrote: »

I have the same problem and don't use the new multithread option.
    Since U31 more ctd then before - but Cyro much much more then before.
    Every day since U31 I crash minimum one time in cyro while fighting a player for the first time.
    Never had this before.

So I believe that there are more ctd in general - and not (only) because of the new multithread...

Maybe you are right, but what I see is my crash is faster if multi is enabled, without it I can play hours. But yes, I am getting other crashes and my guild mates too.
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    I have experienced crashes as my CPU is spiking to over 80C in Cyrodil or populated areas.
    DocratesCR wrote: »
    With Multithread my CPU is getting higher temps reaching +80 ºC. Usually it stays at 70 ºC max.

My CPU runs at 5,2 Ghz but I have done stability tests using Aida64 for hours without error alerts or hardware failures, reaching 90 ºC and it's stable.
    From a technical point of view this makes sense and should be expected.
    Without MTR, if less cores are used (per time unit) the work load is spread across the cores you have and they have time to cool down.
    With MTR, more cores can be used (and will be used in populated areas) and produce more heat.

MTR => more calculation per time unit => more fps / more heat => working as intended.

In multi-threaded processing the chance for timing-issues raises with the calculaions need to be done.
    Unexpected timing-issues are a source of crashes.

I play with MTR and reflection disabled and had no crashes so far. *knock on wood*
    Edited by votan73 on August 27, 2021 10:37AM
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My game crashes since the last dlc patch too. I had no problems before the patch but now my game crashes every 10-20 min if i play pvp.

Those crashes happen happen with multi rendering and without multi rendering

I play in with multi monitors and with an GTX1070TI
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • TheMountain427
    TheMountain427
    Soul Shriven
    I am crashing often this patch, where I normally don't crash much if at all. The game crashed straight to desktop with no bug report dialog. I do however get a windows event for the crash:

Faulting application name: eso64.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x611f09d6
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.804, time stamp: 0x4544b4a1
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000ff099
    Faulting process id: 0x11a8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d79af47f4b21d9
    Faulting application path: F:\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 3687139f-2f83-44f3-8a42-3d6998563269
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I am running:
    Intel 4770k
    AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
    16gb Ram
    Dual Monitors

I don't register high cpu temperatures. I seem to crash in waves one after the other but not usually a long break between waves. Anecdotally, I seem to crash when I have been in a zone or area for a long time. This happens whether Multi rendering is on or off. All my drivers are up to date and the client has admin rights and has been repaired.

I was running the game in windowed(fullscreen) mode but I have changed it to just fullscreen mode. I have not crashed for about 4 hours now so that might be a fix.
  • davapoole
    davapoole
    ✭✭✭
    my crashing seemed to get less when i turned the view distance down but still only one day with it changed to see if it carries on better and try to find useable distance but not crashing every 10-20 mins all the time. when its working the game is smoother and more stable but only in 10 min blocks
  • deahamlet
    deahamlet
    Soul Shriven
    hackdrag0n wrote: »
    I'm also experiencing the same. Game runs smooth as butter with the option enabled but will randomly hard crash to the desktop after some time playing. It seems to happen during combat whenever there are a lot of effects going on.

I have the same experience. Each crash has been during combat with a lot of effects going on.
    I crash without multithread but a lot less, maybe 1-2 times for 4 hours of game. If I have multithread, I crash at least once in each dungeon. I turned it off. but the game isn't feeling very stable right now even without it.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i tried IC the first time since Patch, i crashed much more often then in cyrodiil, maybe every 5 minutes
  • DocratesCR
    Crashings are increasing every day. Now not only with MTR enabled but anytime I go into a dungeon or trial. Most of the time the game just closes.
  • Arizona
    Arizona
    ✭✭
    Hi all :)

Just for better understanding: Is this the Direct3D Multithreading function from DX11, as explained here?
    "Wolf...Teacher, Pathfinder, Moon-dog of my soul.
    Howling, Singing, Teaching how to know."
  • Einvi
    Einvi
    Soul Shriven
    Same here been crashing every day since new patch with option ON or OFF happens with a lot of effects going, looting or at random times. crashed once in a trial and in dungeons I lost count, it also sends me to desktop without an error message.
    Win 10 also gives me this. I don't know what else to try.
    I am crashing often this patch, where I normally don't crash much if at all. The game crashed straight to desktop with no bug report dialog. I do however get a windows event for the crash:

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.804, time stamp: 0x4544b4a1
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000ff099
    Faulting process id: 0x11a8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d79af47f4b21d9
    Faulting application path: F:\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64.exe
    Report Id: 3687139f-2f83-44f3-8a42-3d6998563269

I am running:
    Intel 4770k
    AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
    16gb Ram
    Dual Monitors

I don't register high cpu temperatures. I seem to crash in waves one after the other but not usually a long break between waves. Anecdotally, I seem to crash when I have been in a zone or area for a long time. This happens whether Multi rendering is on or off. All my drivers are up to date and the client has admin rights and has been repaired.

I was running the game in windowed(fullscreen) mode but I have changed it to just fullscreen mode. I have not crashed for about 4 hours now so that might be a fix.

• MightyShrew
    MightyShrew
    Soul Shriven
    Im on steam and get the following info in event viewer when i crash to desktop:

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1110, time stamp: 0xe7a22463
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000000000008c57f
    Faulting process id: 0x1620
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d7a2578a9f59f2
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher\..\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64.exe
    Report Id: e77206d7-c62d-46e9-b6c6-ed8ad31b9ac5

Its also told me that eso64.exe has stopped communicating with windows and was closed. Ive looked through my system, checked my hard drives, disabled add-ons, made sure evetyhing is up to date. I notice it more in dingeons that overland, although i do still get the occasional crash overland, but nowhere near as many as in dungeons. I thought it may be other people, so I solo'd a dungeon and was also kicked then.
  • Einvi
    Einvi
    Soul Shriven
    I don't know if it's coincidence but the crashing stopped when I started using BES – Battle Encoder Shirasé and limiting ESO's cpu usage by 5%
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Einvi wrote: »
    I don't know if it's coincidence but the crashing stopped when I started using BES – Battle Encoder Shirasé and limiting ESO's cpu usage by 5%

thanks for the tip, unfortunately the game still crashes
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a new installation seems to have helped so far, I haven't crashed yet
  • Einvi
    Einvi
    Soul Shriven
    a new installation seems to have helped so far, I haven't crashed yet

How's it going?
    Einvi wrote: »

I lied here the crashing came back
    Edited by Einvi on September 16, 2021 12:47AM
This discussion has been closed.