The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Roughly how much damage does an attribute point add to its respective weapons/skills?

NineChameleon
NineChameleon
✭✭
I was talking in another thread about the intimidating meta. And in the process I spoke about currently using a bow and a destruction staff on my sorc. I was informed that using a bow on a magicka based class/build was gimping myself. Which fairs fair. BUT

I've been aware attributes effect damage of skills and weapons for a little bit. But nowhere I've read seems to agree on exactly to what degree they do that.

So thats my question just how much stronger is, for example, a bow skill/attack with max stamina vs no stamina and equally just how much stronger is a staff skill/attack with max magicka vs no magicka points. (I do not have access to target dummies to test this myself unfortunately and also do not have all attribute points yet)
Edited by NineChameleon on August 23, 2021 10:41PM

Best Answer

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use a bow on Sorc without much impact to damage. Bow light and heavy attacks will scale with Spell Damage, Max Magicka, and Spell Crit if those are your highest stats. I would not recommend using any bow skills though, since they only scale with Weapon Damage, Max Stamina and Weapon Crit (except the bow ultimate which scales with highest stats, but still shouldn’t use it over Greater Storm Atronach). This is where attributes matter, each of the 64 points is about 0.1% DPS with the associated skills, and all together they give 7-8% DPS. Your lack of Weapon Damage and Weapon Crit are bigger issues, and mean it’s better to avoid skills like Snipe and Endless Hail entirely on a Magicka build.

The bow also gives you Spell Crit as a passive, which can compete with Destruction Staff passives. Historically Physical Penetration has been an issue with using Bow light attacks, but as of today Light Armor now gives Physical Pen as well as Spell Pen, so you should be fine in 6 light armor with bow front bar.

You will be limited in spammables, having to rely on either Psijic Elemental Weapon or hard casting Crystal Fragments. Force Pulse is not an option with bow front bar, and your staff should always be back bar so that Wall can proc your infused back bar enchant even while on front bar. The maelstrom staff is also a great addition as back bar staff, and will even buff your bow light attacks after swapping to front bar.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on August 23, 2021 11:44PM
    Answer ✓
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to check details of planned build, go to UESP Build Editor - you will find there most of formulas and see some basic statistics of your build.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well yeah, you'll gimp yourself with anything that isn't mathematically the superior choice. But if you are pulling the numbers you need then who cares? If you WANT the best damage you can get then by all means go for it. But if your thing is to just enjoy some vet dungeons, and maybe a few vet trials now and then, it really doesn't matter as long as you can hit respectable numbers when needed, follow the mechs, and survive.

For the record, I made a bow front / inferno staff nightblade a couple patches ago just to see what it could do. The damage wasn't amazing but I could hit 40k on a 6 million and 70k on a trial dummy. Not exactly lighting the world on fire but more than enough to complete any vet dungeon in the game as long as I follow the mechs
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to run hybrid weapons (one staff and one martial weapon), ESO math currently favors the following two methods (although anything will function):

1) Mag toon: using DW (or 2h) on the front bar and fire staff backbar
    This works because you don't need any destro skills front bar anyway and the 2h/dw passives work great for mag. Note there's no net benefit to using any stam weapon skills front bar either. Bow passives aren't great for mags. This does force you to be melee.

or

2) Stam toon: any stam weapon (2h, dw, bow) and a fire staff backbar
    This works because even though Fire wall does less damage using mag skills on stamina helps sustain a lot. Stam toons typically will use 1 to 3 magika skills anyway. This permits being ranged.

For Sorcs one's with maxed stamina attributes (as opposed to magika) will perform better.

The best staff for both cases in the Maelstrom fire staff
    Edited by thadjarvis on August 25, 2021 6:41PM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    10.5 stamina/magicka equals 1 weapon/spell damage.

I don't recall how much stam/mag that 1 attribute point provides, but divide that by 10.5 and there's your answer.

• SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This should be the calculation.

64 magicka attribute @ 10 each = 6400 magicka = 609 spell damage
    PC NA
  • twing1_
    twing1_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Each attribute point into magicka or stamina provides exactly 111 magicka or stamina, and every 10.5 magicka or stamina equates to exactly 1 spell or weapon damage as far as offensive power is concerned.

1 AP = 111 mag/stam
    10.5 mag/stam = 1 spell/weapon damage
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, in case of LA/HA the proportions are not 10:1 but 40:1 ;)
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bow on magsorc with ballista curse ele weapon and endless fury is nutty (talking pvp)
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »
    However, in case of LA/HA the proportions are not 10:1 but 40:1 ;)

That was the scaling until Summerset I believe, so scaling has been 10.5:1 for everything for years now.