Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Bastian's face recycled asset

vivisectvib16_ESO
vivisectvib16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Seems like he has a twin:

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Gracian_Salvitto

Maybe not the best asset to be recycling if you insist the companions not wear helmets in order to remain "unique"..
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing it.

600px-ON-npc-Gracian_Salvitto.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ON-npc-Bastian_Hallix.jpg

uv8g35igat5k.png
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 11, 2021 6:47PM
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look vaguely similar only in the sense that all Imperials do, with similar noses, cheekbones, etc. But no more than most Bretons look alike.
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing it.

600px-ON-npc-Gracian_Salvitto.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ON-npc-Bastian_Hallix.jpg

uv8g35igat5k.png

It's less noticeable in the pic of Salvitto on UESP as his head is looking up. If you talk to him dead on, he's Bastian's twin down to the hair colour and style even. Only difference really is the soul patch, lol

http://imgur.com/a/eSxFWow
    Edited by vivisectvib16_ESO on August 11, 2021 6:56PM
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All man look same to this one.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, see Marcus from the Thieves Guild quests...

ON-npc-Nicolas.jpg

Edited by Hurbster on August 11, 2021 7:20PM
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭
    I swear I saw an npc that looked a lot like Bastian during a quest. I don't remember where since I was bouncing around zones for a bit. Only difference was the imposter looked aged and had greyed hair. Don't remember the name either. Just that he had heavy armor on.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurbster wrote: »
    Also, see Marcus from the Thieves Guild quests...

ON-npc-Nicolas.jpg

I think you mean Nicholas.

Maybe it's just the facial hair or the angle, but his face and Gracian's both look "fuller" to me than Bastian's.

Even (bugged and fixed) clean-shaven, Bastian seems to have a thinner face to me. e9aod43cscir.png
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 11, 2021 7:39PM
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because racial presets all look very similar.
    Breton's have the same issue 'Oh, hi cousin!'
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's the hair.

Unless they radically change facial features, most characters of the same race and the same hairstyle will share a passing resemblance, particularly if you're just running by. Imperials all share a Roman nose, so since they all have the same hairstyle and general facial shape, we'll naturally think they look similar, even if one has more jaw definition or not.

And of course, with this hairstyle it's particularly evident considering how many NPCs they put it on. And the fact that ZOS won't release it for players even though we've been begging for it since it came out on PTS in 2016, so a lot of people naturally look at the hair first and the face second.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the face is pretty much the same, but Bastian is a bit older and with different facial hair, and hair colour.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying all imperials look the same? They look similar because of those imperial noses, jaws, and cheekbones, but not the same. Bastian has a bit more gaunt face.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • CelticStones
    CelticStones
    ✭✭✭
    it's Deltia.. come on, everyone knows this.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do feel that, while the character creation is already pretty solid, I'd like if we could go even more extreme with it! Perhaps there isn't much we can do with body size because there are already many clipping issues depending on what your sliders (and triangles) look like for the body configuration. But the facial configurations could use a tad more extreme options! It would certainly help make characters look less same-y.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to start using that as an insult now, telling someone their face is a recycled asset.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the whole game is full of recycled assets, recycled story lines, recycled promises...
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look like brothers
  • Orion_89
    Orion_89
    ✭✭✭✭

ZOS have fooled you again and now you are saing "it is not like that" when it clearly is.
    I'm not seeing it.

Edited by Orion_89 on August 12, 2021 7:50AM
  • tripp
    tripp
    ✭✭✭
    That's not a Bastian issue. That's an ESO issue. Sameface is unfortunately very common, hence why I play Argonians.
    big, green, buff, but surprisingly not the Hulk
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's Deltia.. come on, everyone knows this.

Haha!! so the truth is out... Deltia was the model for Bastian :D

ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).gif
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just saying, it would be nice if ZOS dropped the "they have to be uNiQuE" excuse for no helmets on companions, since NPC's being unique is clearly not something they care about given the asset recycling.

If anything, at the very least, we should be able to change companion hair style/facial hair and/or facial markings.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also, faces are not "assets" in what the word usually means. If they used the same or very similar slider settings, the characters will look accordingly. But that's not a "recycled asset".
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That wig definitely looks recycled. I wonder what it was in its previous existence. A floor mop maybe.
    PC EU
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was doing one of the Cyrodylic Collections quests that sent me to Sentinel to get a lizard that can eat anything, and the NPC shopkeeper that you have to talk to in order to purchase the lizard looks just like Bastian. I only noticed it because he was the companion that I had with me at the time.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just saying, it would be nice if ZOS dropped the "they have to be uNiQuE" excuse for no helmets on companions, since NPC's being unique is clearly not something they care about given the asset recycling.

If anything, at the very least, we should be able to change companion hair style/facial hair and/or facial markings.

Wearing a helmet or hood doesn't even stop them from being unique. They are still Bastian/Mirri.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OH, I see, this was your agenda all along... to find a reason to say, "ZOS doesn't really care about individual people because they have the same people in the game already."

First off, many games utilize same asset appearances as they don't have time to devote detailing every single one of the thousands of random NPCs throughout the game... I wouldn't doubt if they just used an RNG to generate random NPCs- much like what happens in our own character creation where we can 'random' an appearance. Which that being the case, of course you'll have NPCs that share common appearance traits within the same racial category. In the images you added, their are similarities but not an EXACT copy. Hell, even in real life I've met people who look so much like someone famous- but not an exact copy. So in fact, your post proves that ESO is very much like real life... many people share common features and appearance but are not an exact copy of an individual person.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

OH, I see, this was your agenda all along... to find a reason to say, "ZOS doesn't really care about individual people because they have the same people in the game already."

First off, many games utilize same asset appearances as they don't have time to devote detailing every single one of the thousands of random NPCs throughout the game... I wouldn't doubt if they just used an RNG to generate random NPCs- much like what happens in our own character creation where we can 'random' an appearance. Which that being the case, of course you'll have NPCs that share common appearance traits within the same racial category. In the images you added, their are similarities but not an EXACT copy. Hell, even in real life I've met people who look so much like someone famous- but not an exact copy. So in fact, your post proves that ESO is very much like real life... many people share common features and appearance but are not an exact copy of an individual person.
    You uh...you're reading way too much into OP's post. They're saying that ZOS' excuse for not being able to change anything about a Companion's face/head was they wanted them to be unique so people would recognize them. But if other people in the game look like them, they aren't exactly unique and all, so there's no real reason we shouldn't be able to give them different hair or face markings or a helmet or something. Besides, for people who play with nameplates on, Companions are labeled as <Player's> Companion, so...there are ways to recognize them either way.

The fact that the game can only make so many facial layouts before characters, both NPCs and PCs, start looking the same or very similar means Companions would have never been unique-looking to begin with, either. On top of that, most people run by others without bothering to stop and look at them, so most are going to assume that Companion with a "unique" mount and costume and all is just another player either way, since they'll just be getting a passing glance. There's really no good reason we can't slap stuff onto a Companion's head/face.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    ADarklore wrote: »

You uh...you're reading way too much into OP's post. They're saying that ZOS' excuse for not being able to change anything about a Companion's face/head was they wanted them to be unique so people would recognize them. But if other people in the game look like them, they aren't exactly unique and all, so there's no real reason we shouldn't be able to give them different hair or face markings or a helmet or something. Besides, for people who play with nameplates on, Companions are labeled as <Player's> Companion, so...there are ways to recognize them either way.

^^^ this. Buddy was definitely reading his own meaning into my "agenda" lmao