The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What steps did you take to improve your dps/heals/tanking to get you to vet level raiding?

Recent
Recent
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello,
I want to improve and I know I could join a raiding guild and get lots of good tips but I want to hear from you all cos I'll get more variety of advice etc.
What was your journey like towards becoming a good player that can clear vet trials and arenas etc.

I always read all my replies and i thank you for your time.

If you want to discuss gear knowledge feel free i can use all the help i can get 😊
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I guess for me it was pretty painless as a DD I'd say. I chose to practice on dummies around the time I got interest in trials so needed to know my actual performance and started improving bit by bit myself for weeks (you'll practice all your playtime really, any content you run is a practice and you constantly getting better). After I started to feel more confident in veteran dungeons and had pretty decent dummy numbers I got my very first veteran trial attempts with casual social guild, things like VSO and VAA and thought that I need to be improving further as it seemed like content I enjoyed the most.

For my first vet dlc trial being MoL I firstly finally got VMA clear that utterly hated it as a stamblade. Maelstrom bow was my next target, but actually doing the content made me infinitely better as a player not only in pve, but in pvp environment also. Done some runs, got another group some time after and never looked back going forward through all the trials and arenas, up to trifectas etc. but since Elsweyr as a magblade.

Finding the right people is half the task, second I'd say to be an actual team player that can adapt and sacrifice.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For myself, after a bitter run of Vet Banished Cells (banished cells 2 now) where it was pretty clear the friends I was running with weren't impressed with the damage I was doing, I said to myself that I wouldn't touch vet content again as a dps at least until clearing vMA. I had done normal to the point of tedium, so by the time I went to do it on vet the major differences were the added pressure from incoming damage and higher damage requirements. It is probably a common piece of advice you'll get, but it all comes down to comfort.

The biggest difference between normal and vet is the mindset you need. You need to be ready to pay attention to your enemies and what attacks they do, since many times' people who don't regularly run vet trials spend most fights on the ground brooding about how unfair it is when they died to an attack that mostly just required paying attention to. You should be expecting to die a few times to live long enough to see what each fight has to offer and be willing to improvise and adapt to what they require, unlike one pug who was so committed to being a werewolf for an entire fight they stood next to an invulnerable boss in lethal aoes without once attempting to do anything else.

And the biggest thing is to find a play style that works for you, which class, what skills, and work on being comfortable with those. If you can play your character without much thinking, just reacting to what you see around you, you'll find that learning fights and getting acclimated to the demands vet content puts out will be a lot easier and is probably the first place I would start.
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out Alcast guides.
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the input i find it very encouraging. I've always suspected that vma is the one to strive for as you can get loads of challenging practice without having to rely on other players. I will continue to do it on normal until i know al the fights inside out and i want to try the easier vets dungeons to improve too.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just had a conversation with a player going back into the game and thought it might also be a bit related. You asked about gear also in the last part and I was talking about how golding out gear isn't that necessary besides weapons if you're tight on budget, as an example I've had purple jewelry on some sets for years without an issue, it's a bonus but such a small one that it doesn't breaking or making it. If I'd be starting anew now I would probably only gold weapons and try to get golden jewelry (for infused and boodthirsty traits), other pieces would be golded out only if I'd have some free mats.

Also surprisingly one of breaking points was realisation that I don't need to stop my rotation because repositioning, you should always be casting stuff when you can, always squeeze as much as possible without any breaks (but if the actual break occurred for some reason use it for rebuffing anew) which wasn't for some reason obvious when I started playing.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me practising my rotation on a dummy, looking at what the you tubers can do with similar set ups and try to get within 5-10k of that then just do dungeons and trials.

I’ve seen a lot of people out dps me on a dummy but be way behind in a trial and mainly that’s down to vault to do both mechanics and damage together. That only comes through practice
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After much research and practice, I came to the conclusion that your rotation is more important than the gear and skills you have - and not just the rotation itself, but how quickly and reliably you can perform it. This is why I gave up on vet content - I just can't fire skills fast enough and weave to reach the needed DPS thresholds.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rotation and execution is 100% the most important thing.

Maybe a wording thing but the idea isn’t to fire skills as fast as possible. You can only fire one per second.

Main thing is weaving in light attacks and doing that as fast as possible and maintaining uptime on your damage over time skills. I’d try and get as close to a static rotation as you can. So it’s easier to remember and execute. Through that you will improve as well.

If your ok pc addons can help get that improvement and better analyse your performance.

Combat metrics - let’s you see damage, light attack weaving success and timings and also DOT Uptime.

Metronome - helps you to time out light attack weaving between skills

Action duration reminder/fancy action bar - let’s you see skill timing etc
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parrot1986 wrote: »
    Rotation and execution is 100% the most important thing.

Maybe a wording thing but the idea isn’t to fire skills as fast as possible. You can only fire one per second.

Main thing is weaving in light attacks and doing that as fast as possible and maintaining uptime on your damage over time skills.

Not sure if you're replying to me or in general but what I meant to say is, firing skills every second AND weaving a light attack between them is my issue - I just can't do it, no matter what addons I have installed or how much I practise. I can weave semi-reliably with only ONE skill (force pulse) and nothing else. I've played this game for 7 years, so I have come to accept my limitations. Most people do improve though, so I guess this is the key if one wants to get better at combat. :)

[The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all let me say it took a long time, years in my case, because I hadn't played an MMO before, and in the beginning, when I was just trying to get my bearings, it was mostly learning through other players, and taking notes. For instance, when I had just started trying to do normal dungeons, I was using a resto staff on my magsorc, and I remember being in a pug run, and someone asking why was I using a resto staff on a dps. At the time I didn't even know I was a dps, or what the role even involved, but I took the advice to heart and started using a second destro staff. At first it was mostly things like that, but when I begun to understanding the game a bit better, I wanted to search for more information on how to improve, and that's when my progress started more meaningfully. Back then, there weren't so many resources available as now, I remember reading up on fextralife, or eso academy, and later on I found deltia's and alcast's guide, and slowly tried to learn more about builds and so on. The rest was pratice: doing dungeons and trials, trying and failing in a bunch of different vet contents, and then trying some more (you don't even want to know how many months and soul gems my first vMA clear took... :sweat_smile:). You can only improve on your playing by doing the content; preparing, building, etc., are useful but can only take you so far, it's the practice that will show you what works, what doesn't, your shortcomings, and so forth. Solo arenas are particularly helpful with honing one's combat (and also crushing one's spirit, and everything that's good, but I digress :lol:), so I think all players who want to improve should give them a go.

When dummies came out I did a lot of parsing for my DDs, this was very helpful, not because of trying to achieve a certain number, but train your hands to move in a way that can continue when you're in a trial and have to do mechanics at the same time. And here's a caveat: if you only do parsing and never practice on a live instance, you won't really improve, so take the opportunity to jump in whenever possible and learn. If damage is the chess queen, mechanics are the king, and sure, some groups can skip them, especially for older content, but one mistake on an important mechanic can wipe the whole group, so I think after learning basic combat, they should be the next thing. This is especially important for the others two roles: I don't tank very much, but I did a lot of healing, and as a support, you really need to know mechanics to be able to react fast, or act preemptively, and best help your group. Healers do have rotations as well, it's something the vast majority of healers forget or don't practice, and you only see that in the higher end-game groups, but it's very important. Not only because support skills have cooldowns as well, but because depending on sets, they have to be mindful on the uptimes of buffs and debuffs they are responsible for. This takes a lot of practice and also familiarity with how certain sets work. Some time ago I was healing in a group, and afterwards the other healer sent me a message complimenting me on my APM, and I said I was a dps main, which they replied with 'ah that explains it', but it goes to show that healing is not just casting an aoe and orb and doing some heavy attacking in between, it needs effort as well, but unlike DDs whose performance is easily evident through metrics, even as the trial is happening, that's not the case for supports, so the support player themselves have to look at their uptimes afterwards, and see where they need improvement. Also, I think playing with unorganized groups is a good lesson for support players: it's easy to heal or tank when everyone is positioned optimally, kills stuff fast, and knows how to stay alive, but in a less experienced group you learn how not to panic, act premptively, and when chaos happens, what to prioritize.

The ''git gud'' takes time, effort, and mindful practice; some good players might be blessed with twitchy hands, and need less of all that, but most good players I know have spent a very long time trying to improve and perfect their playstyles, both alone in their houses dummy prasing, or in solo areanas, but also in group content.
    Edited by Jaimeh on August 8, 2021 12:47PM
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm liking all of these replies so far :) Much of my experience is the same as what others have said, but there's a few things I feel are important to add. Also I should note, I'm a solo player in part because years ago I started like most do with terrible dps and went to improve on my own and get better gear. Now I prefer solo play and haven't bothered with the whole ordeal of finding a good raid group again.

The first step for me was banging my head against vMA, first for Stormproof then for the staff and bow. Yes it helps with being a dps and knowing mechanics/telegraphs, but it also taught me about having a healthy mindset when progressing vet content. Going in short bursts, taking breaks, recognizing when you're too tired and it's time to call it a night, and reflecting on what you're doing to know when it stops being fun is all very important. That mindset was how I could go from Stormproof to multiple Flawlesses (well, and better server performance ;) ).

The second thing I've only gotten into more recently, but even as a solo player I've found that practicing parsing does help a lot. Only in the last 6 months or so have understood light attack weaving (as Jaimeh said, the old guides from years ago weren't as good or plentiful, and I used to think animation canceling light attacks was the same as block canceling, so I basically had it all backwards :D ), and only after I began parsing regularly did I figure out a good and reliable rotation for vet-level dps. For whatever reason other people's written or video guides for rotations make my eyes glaze over, so for me it's been about playing around with stuff on the dummy until something clicks, then honing it for a few extra k dps. Also, on parsing generally, someone on a thread a while back (sadly can't find it to link credit) equated it to an athlete working out or an fps player doing aim training warmups, and that's really a good mentality which has stuck with me as I started doing this.

Lastly, this will obviously vary from player to player, but for me personally, upgrading my hardware over the years has been a big improvement as well. I started out on a laptop, then a low end pc, and now have a decent mid-range setup with a 144hz monitor. Going from ~5 fps to ~60+ in performance-draining difficult boss fights has been wonderful.
    PC NA
  • UglyTriangle
    UglyTriangle
    ✭✭✭
    I mainly heal for my guild. Prior to this, I didn't focus on group content that much in ESO as I was often completing raids in a different game. I came back after I decided to quit the other game for good and found that I had so much to catch up with on top of unlearning some of the habits I picked up in the other game that didn't translate well to ESO.

There are guilds out there that will take the time to show you the ropes. Some will hold weekly learning runs for normal content. As you progress in knowledge and gearing, then you can start getting into the vet trials. There might be a core progression group which would be harder to get into, but they might also have veteran learning runs so everyone can learn together without the pressure of performing perfectly.

Ask questions. More experienced players can offer advice and give you pointers on gearing, mechanics, etc. Even if it's not necessarily a question related to your specific role, I find that it's helpful to ask tanks or DPS about certain mechanics that I'm unfamiliar with or what would be helpful or I see what other people are asking about in Discord. My guildmates often post their parses to Discord for others to see and use that as a way to see what someone could change or do better.

Other than that, I definitely recommend reviewing guides as others have mentioned and practicing mechanics as you can. You could run veteran dungeons with PUGs, though it might not be the most conducive learning environment. If you can find a guild or multiple guilds that help their players learn and grow, that would probably be a better starting point.

Good luck!
    Bobo the Cowardly | Warden | Healer/MagDPS
    Spooky-Scary-Skeletons | Necromancer | MagDPS
    Incoherent-Screeching | Nightblade | MagDPS
  • Sindrik8x
    Sindrik8x
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been casual for 7 plus years. I started to get into vet trials about a month back when my son and I turned the direction of our guild towards it because he had a blast with them. He had built a Magden, and is now currently pulling 80 - 90k DPS consistently with Sorrow, Medusa, Zaan. I decided to make my Stamplar solo build into a dps build (despite mag being the preferred option by most right now). For me it was farming the Maelstrom Bow, getting Rele gear from nCR and practing on the 21 mil dummy. Getting rotation down, moving stuff around on bars, watching videos, talking to others here and on FB groups about parsing and trial mechanics. Now after a month or so my son and I have guided newer trial players through vHRC, vAA, and vAS, including timed runs on the two Craglorn trials. Our guild is chill, social, fun. We don't slam anyone for build preference, or force certain sets upon anyone. We all just try and grow together and learn together.

Honestly, to me the biggest factor in getting better is reps. Get in these casual vet trial guilds (progressive) and run the starter ones, then slowly advance as your build and knowledge become more fluid. I never, ever thought I'd get in trials as my damage back as a solo build was like 23 - 24k on a 6 mil dummy. I was feeling weak. Now, I'm approaching 60k on 21 mil, with 5 pc's to retrait still, having to farm perfected pcs, and fine tuning rotation. Still have more sets to grab like Kinras, AY, etc. But, right now I'm running a standard 5 pc Deadly, 5 pc Rele, Grund/Slime and Maelstrom Bow.

It's just promising yourself to get better each day you play marginally. It all adds up. Eventually, you'll be pulling weight. I typically do 15 - 18% of the DPS in my Vet trials, and my son does the same if not more. And we're honestly beginners (helping beginners too). If I can do it and make the improvements, you can.

Good luck out there. And if any of you want in guild, we are NA Server, EST. Trials usually fire on Friday and Saturday evenings, and Sunday during the day. Sometimes randomly during the week. No schedules, no obligation, just come wanting to improve yourself and be a part of something special.

Later all.
  • Noldornir
    Noldornir
    ✭✭✭
    Recent wrote: »
    Hello,
    I want to improve and I know I could join a raiding guild and get lots of good tips but I want to hear from you all cos I'll get more variety of advice etc.
    What was your journey like towards becoming a good player that can clear vet trials and arenas etc.

I always read all my replies and i thank you for your time.

If you want to discuss gear knowledge feel free i can use all the help i can get 😊

Personally I believe it's mostly a matter of roles;

As a DD I improved a lot when I did VMA first, after that now one can do Vateshran as well, solo content will boost a lot your survivability as you'll actually have to soak up damage (by block-dodge etc.) while doing damage. You also learn VERY WELL the importance of target focusing. When going with a tank around, in a group, he usualy handles the pressure so the DD will not train his survival skills that much.

As a Tank, my main role, it's kinda slower and can be harder (as a support role you need a team to support and you need a team on par with your skills level or either you or them could get bored/argue while the other one is catching up).
    Any DLC dungeon makes a good start then VMA, Craglorn Trials/VSS(Yoln also drops here) can be good to get more efficient: VSS in particular can teach you to handle an high damage income (main tank on dragons) or how to handle adds while surviving on your own mostly (off tank); Main-Off tanking can require very different gameplay.

For healers same principle than tanks but harder: you might not find team willing to have an healer in 4 man content, it's kinda dumb imho, an healer is not an hindrance in 4-man, actually it allows the DD to use full nukes setup, doubles the buff (you'll have twice the support sets) and allow for a relaxed gameplay (DDs casting often shield or vigor deals poor damage).
    Anyway you can get ANY achievement in the game with 2DD+Heal+Tank so if they tell you that you NEED 3 DDs know they are not telling the truth (or maybe they do if in 3 they can only dish out the damage that is supposed to come from 2 ppl); some things can get easier/faster on 3 DD but definely you will never "NEED" 3 DD (even unchained, the BRP trifecta, can be comfortably made in 35~40" by 2 DD+heal+tank)