Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Room Types in Medieval(ish) houses.

seecodenotgames
seecodenotgames
✭✭✭✭✭
After building 30+ houses, I've only just realised that the majority of my houses (both decorated and custom structures) follow the same patterns in terms of which rooms I choose. Most of these tend to be what modern houses have, and not necessarily what a house in a medieval world would need.

I'm just wondering if anyone can think of any rooms that existed in real-life medieval buildings (castles, palaces, manors, monasteries etc) that may be overlooked and not featured in games like ESO, that would make good additions to houses. Both in the houses as designed by ZOS and custom builds.

Rooms I use regularly
Hallway / entrance
Dining Room
Living room / lounge
Kitchen
Bedroom (one or more)
Bathroom
Library / study
Bar
Courtyard
Outdoor dining
Balcony

Rooms I've used at least one
Indoor garden / rooftop garden
Gym
Alchemy lab
Crafting room / art room
Workshop
Throne room
Classroom
Chapel / church
Theatre / stage
Spa / indoor swimming pool
Shop
Docks
Garage
Control room
Storage room
Wine/beer cellar
Ship deck

Rooms I don't use
Torture room
Jail
Houses on PC EU (newest first)
67. Dawnwood Village (Gladesong Arboretum) - A village built into a new forest
66. Undaunted Fortress (Mournoth Keep) - The undaunted have moved into these Orcish Towers
65. Wedding at Sea (The Fair Winds) - Have a lovely wedding ceremony at sea and relax in the bridal suite in the Captain's Quarters
64. Alikr Oasis Paradise (Sword-singer's Redoubt) - This grand home was built above a deep well to commemorate their ancestors
63. Azandars Tea House (Kelesan Ruhn) - A tea shop/cafe in the shape of a life-sized teapot
62. Sand Castles (Fogbreak Lighthouse) - A literal life size sand castle
61. Riften Meadery (Old Mistveil Manor) - A new meadery has opened outside Riften
60. Helene's Writing Room (Golden Gryphon Garret) - A small room for Helene to get some quiet writing time
59. Picnic at Pelin (Black Vine Villa) - Based on the lore book Picnic at Pelin (A Horror Story)
58. Almalexias Temple (Forsaken Stronghold) - A Dunmer Tower with a shrine to the three
57. Pirate New Life For Me (Highhallow Hold) - A pirate tavern where they gift you loot
56. Woodvine Cathedral (Agony's Ascent) - A living cathedral thriving in the Deadlands
55. Dark Elf Town House (Quondam Indorilia) - A small and cosy town house on the edge of Mournhold
54. The Secret Tower (Exorcised Coven Cottage) - A hidden mage tower in the swamps on the Hag Fen
53. Knight Club (Frostvault Chasm) - A disco in a dwarven mineshaft
52. Dwemer Cave City (The Erstwhile Sanctuary) - A lost dwarven city has been found deep underground
51. Alinor Gryphon Aerie (Colossal Aldmeri Grotto) - A place where gryphons are trained
50. The Charred Towers (Doomchar Plateau) - Deadlands themed fortress with two towers and custom furniture
49. Argonian Sea Town (Tel Galen) - An Argonian sea port
48. Daedric Princess Tower (Seaveil Spire) - An underwater tower dedicated to the Daedric Prince Meridia
47. Fargrave Observatory (Ossa Accentium) - An observatory in the portal realm of Fargrave
46. Hundings Beach House (Hundings Palatial Hall) - Beach house and hottub
45. Crystal Gardens (Snugpod) - Enchanted Gardens with crystalline trees
44. Dawnlight Health Spa (Princely Dawnlight Palace) - Our spa waters are revitalising and ready to heal your aching body
43. Mountainside Retreat (Pariah's Pinnacle) - An orc mountainside hall with an amazing view
42. Volcanic Vile Villa (Kushalit Sanctuary) - A private hollowed out volcano for all your mad alchemist needs
41. Arenthian Water Temple (Strident Springs Demesne) - A relaxing water temple outside Arenthia
40. Woodland Cottage (Ald Velothi Harbor House) - A house in a tree, but not a treehouse
39. Winter Snow Meadhall (Enchanted Snow Globe Home) - A winter meadhall has opened to get everyone in the festive mood
38. Fire and Ice Hotel (Elinhir Private Arena) - An new hotel has opened with an ice bar and a lava room
37. City of Princes (Pantherfang Chapel) - Citadese is under attack from a dragon invasion. Prince Tarvia is leading the escape through the sewers.
36. Dark Brotherhood Home (Stay-Moist Mansion) - A Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary found beneath an Argonian village
35. Volkihar Courtyard (Velothi Reverie) - A castle courtyard modelled on the famous Volkihar Castle in Skyrim
34. Rada's Summer Getaway (Potentate's Retreat) - A Redguard mansion with a dark vampiric secret in the basement
33. Cascadia Wine N Dine (Sweetwater Cascades) - Vineyard and meadery with two restaurants and a chapel
32. Walled Kitchen Garden (Amaya Lake Lodge) - Fresh produce and cut flowers for sale. Hot food served in a family restaurant.
31. Luckycat Summerhouse (Lucky Cat Landing) - A khajiiti villa with spa and dining
30. Helene's Boutique (Water's Edge) - The famous dressmaker has opened a new dress shop in town
29. Alinor Garden Party (Mathiisen Manor) - A party in the flower gardens of a Altmer noble's manor
28. Markarth Bath House (Stone Eagle Aerie) - A relaxing spa and bath house with an arts and craft centre
27. Treeboat house (The Gorinir Estate) - No one know how an imperial ship ended up in the treetops
26. Varlaisvea College (Varlaisvea Ayleid Ruins) - An ancient library has been discovered deep inside an Ayleid ruin
25. City on the Moon (The Orbservatory Prior) - Moonbase with housing and an inn under the stars
24. Lakemire Water Gardens (Lakemire Xanmeer Manor) - Relaxing hanging gardens and a fish restaurant beneath the Xanmeer
23. Hircine's Hunt Club (Hunters Glade) - A relaxing villa for werewolves to feast in the ever refilling hunting grounds
22. Lost Dwarven Kingdom (Shalidor’s Shrouded Realm) - A lost Dwemer king's palace has been found in a mage's pocket realm
21. Replaced with 54. The Secret Tower
20. Topal Fishing Resort (Grand Topal Hideaway) - A resort in the middle of a fishing lake on a private island
19. Castleton Manor (Alinor Crest Townhouse) - The home of Lord Castleton and his daughter Sonja
18. Cave of BBQ N Ribs (Earthtear Cavern) - A secret rocky dome, hosts a BBQ and ribs restaurant
17. Who Lived in a Shoe (The Ample Domicile) - There was an old reach witch who lived in a shoe
16. Dwemer Party Tower (Hall of the Lunar Champion - Lion's Cradle) - A dwarven flying tower repurposed for parties
15. A Taste of Alinor (Sleek Creek House) - A small piece of Alinor beside a creek
14. Lava Submarine Base (Bastion Sanguinaris) - An evil vampire alchemy lab, accessible only via a lava submarine
13. Spirit-tree Library (Wraithhome) - A library built atop an ancient forest within an ancient Daedric ruin
12. Golden Beach Palace (Thieves' Oasis) - A dwarven inspired Redguard beach resort
11. Mad Scientists House (Cyrodilic Jungle House) - Workshop and garage with an experimental De-lore-ean
10. Big Toy House (Antiquarian's Alpine Gallery) - Two life sized doll's houses and a inn beneath the stairs
9. Icy Falls Inn (Forgemaster Falls) - Two Nord lodges on a lake, serving mead and fresh fish
8. Blue-ice Palace (Stillwaters Retreat) - Solitude, but on a frozen lake
7. Mushroom Manor (Coldharbour Surreal Estate) - Dunmer house built from giant mushrooms
6. Vampire Academy with wine bar (Daggerfall Overlook) - Come for the nibbles; stay for eternity
5. Three Pillows War (Grymharth's Woe) - Re-enact the three banners war with pillow forts and floof balls
4. Treefern House (Moon-sugar meadow) - Giant treefern treehouse
3. Artaeum Theatre (Grand Psijic Manor) - Tiered Balcony
2. Imperial Bridal Suite (Linchal Grand Manor) - Wedding venue with bridal suite extension
1. Dragonguard Penthouse (Jode's Embrace) - 3 Extra floors, with indoor conservatory and top floor gym
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.castlesandmanorhouses.com/life_01_rooms.htm

Pretty much everything you need to know right there.

The Great Hall
    Bed Chambers
    Solars
    Bathrooms, Lavatories and Garderobes
    Kitchens, Pantries, Larders & Butteries
    Gatehouses and Guardrooms
    Chapels & Oratories
    Cabinets and Boudoirs
    Storerooms, Undercrofts & Cellars
    Ice Houses
    Dovecotes
    Apartments

For some of the rooms we moderns aren't used to...
    Dovecote: A dovecote or dovecot /ˈdʌvkɒt/, doocot (Scots) or columbarium is a structure intended to house pigeons or doves.[1] Dovecotes may be free-standing structures in a variety of shapes, or built into the end of a house or barn. They generally contain pigeonholes for the birds to nest.[2] Pigeons and doves were an important food source historically in the Middle East and Europe and were kept for their eggs and dung.[3] (from wikipedia)

Solar: The solar was a room in many English and French medieval manor houses, great houses and castles, mostly on an upper storey, designed as the family's private living and sleeping quarters.[1] Within castles they are often called the "Lords' and Ladies' Chamber", or the "Great Chamber".[1]

The word solar has two possible origins: it may derive from the Latin word solaris meaning sun (often a room with the brightest aspect), or - as the solar provided privacy for its occupants, it may come from the Latin word, solus, meaning, "alone".[1] (from wikipedia)

Buttery: A buttery was originally a large cellar room under a monastery, in which food and drink were stored for the provisioning of strangers and passing guests. Nathan Bailey's An Universal Etymological English Dictionary gives "CELLARIST – one who keeps a Cella, or Buttery; the Butler in a religious House or Monastery." As the definition in John Stevens's The History of the Antient Abbeys shows, its initial function was to feed and water the guests rather than monks: "The Buttery; the Lodging for Guests". In a monastery a buttery was thus the place from which travellers would seek 'doles' of bread and weak ale, given at the exterior buttery door (and often via a small serving-hatch in the door, to prevent invasion of the stores by a crowd or by rough beggars). The task of doling out this free food and drink would be the role of the butterer. At larger monasteries there would also be a basic hostelry, where travellers could sleep for free.

Later the term buttery was also applied to a similar stores-room in a large medieval house, which might or might not be a cellar, and in which the buttery served the lord and his household rather than only passing travellers.

In both its uses, a buttery is to be distinguished from the butter and lard-house (pantry or larder), and the kitchen, a hostelry, or the refectory for guests or the dining hall for the inhabitants. (from wikipedia)

Essentially, you can do a search on any of the rooms listed above, be sure to add "medieval" to the search and you'll find the information you are looking for.

Edited by MornaBaine on August 5, 2021 9:32PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    If anything helps or jogs an idea, my (not only rooms) areas would be as i mentally walk through my Overlook:

Bedroom
    Alchemy area
    Enchanting area
    Sitting area
    Library
    Planning Room (for adventurers)
    Trophy area
    Bank/Valuable Vault
    Dining
    Dragon Area (dragon related trophy, banner, nick knacks)
    Throne Room
    Shrine (to past family member Roll-Play)
    Bar
    Kitchen
    Fishing Area/Docks
    Gardens
    Merchant area
    Crafting Area/Forge/Clothier
    Stable
    Storage
    Thief Shrine/Bedroom
    Dwemer Lab
    Outdoor Barbecue/Sitting
    Painting area
    Pottery area
    Training area

What i really want is furniture to set up an Armory of sorts, weapon and armor racks and the like.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What i really want is furniture to set up an Armory of sorts, weapon and armor racks and the like.

We've been asking for that since Day One of player housing. *sigh*

MornaBaine wrote: »

Yeah, such a super-common item you see in nearly every in-game building and yet one of the most desired things not offered.

A nice "Arms & Armor" Pack on the crown store, a few racks, shields, a set of plate armor on stand, would go over pretty well i bet.

(hint hint developers)
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, such a super-common item you see in nearly every in-game building and yet one of the most desired things not offered.

A nice "Arms & Armor" Pack on the crown store, a few racks, shields, a set of plate armor on stand, would go over pretty well i bet.

(hint hint developers)

You know these forums are filled with people begging ZOS to take our money and giving them really easy and simple ways to do it, using assets they already have so basically no work necessary. And year after year the most popular ones are ignored. My conclusion is that they don't need our money.

• NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

(hint hint developers)

If they add them I definitely don't want them to be some crown store pack. Then they might as well not add them at all.

They should just add a lot more common items to home goods furnishers, such as these things.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

(hint hint developers)

If they add them I definitely don't want them to be some crown store pack. Then they might as well not add them at all.

They should just add a lot more common items to home goods furnishers, such as these things.

Agreed. The utter disappearance of new low cost, easy to get and make furnishing items is extremely irritating. And every new style that comes out seems to be worse. I admit I nearly fainted when I discovered the Solitude stuff only needed Corundum (the common Nord style mat) instead of some fancy new thing you are required to farm endlessly for. But I see the Leyawiin furnishings are something that requires a special new goody. *sigh*

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

(hint hint developers)

Agreed. The utter disappearance of new low cost, easy to get and make furnishing items is extremely irritating. And every new style that comes out seems to be worse. I admit I nearly fainted when I discovered the Solitude stuff only needed Corundum (the common Nord style mat) instead of some fancy new thing you are required to farm endlessly for. But I see the Leyawiin furnishings are something that requires a special new goody. *sigh*

I just paid 20k for the cheapest plan I could find for the Leyawiin stack of laundry and made enough for just about every one of my houses. Not sure why such a mundane item needs a super rare style trait that’s so hard to get.

My terrible rng despite farming for those plans every day, lol.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Oh i agree, I'm all for more in game than crown store, but crown store certainly is more of an incentive to the Devs, so best chance of having someone take notice
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh i agree, I'm all for more in game than crown store, but crown store certainly is more of an incentive to the Devs, so best chance of having someone take notice

You’re probably right. If they can’t be bothered to make it buyable with crowns, they certainly won’t make it available for gold.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last weekend I visited the Weald & Download Museum in Sussex and one thing I noticed is that a lot of the houses didn't have dedicated rooms for different purposes, except store rooms. For example a farm house which housed 8 people (the farmer and his wife, their 4 children and 2 servants) had 2 bedrooms, 2 store rooms and all the rest was one big open space so most activities would have happened in the main hall which would have been the kitchen and dining area or in the bedrooms, or outside where apparently they would have been most of the day.

I remember hearing that bigger homes were typically defined by their entertainment spaces, so for example a Viking hall had to fit everyone in the village and a Renaissance mansion had to have a ballroom and a large dining room, although there were other definitions too - a manor or villa would be on a largely self-sufficient estate for example - and it varied a lot by country and time period. But the number of rooms doesn't seem to ever be important to the definition.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much what @Danikat said.

In the past, most people lived where they worked and where they ate, etc. Most common houses had a main room or a big open space, and beds and more private areas were on the sides behind curtains or dividers.

Rich people (nobles and such) had more rooms, mostly for entertainment, washing, storage, etc.

This is not a Western medieval stereotype, we can see this in any culture, even in antiquity, people were practical, they made the best of the little resources they had, and usually the house was family centered (all members living and working together). Back then, kids did not have a room, and playing was very limited, because they would work/help as soon as they were able.
    Nobles had more rooms in their castle/manor to be able to host numerous guests and their staff.

What I consider the game doesn't feature enough in terms of furnishings / city design, is sanitary facilities. It is known that even in early antiquity, most cities in different cultures featured public baths. In Tamriel, cities have extensive aqueducts, sewer systems, but the houses/cities have no drains, toilets or baths. I would also like to see wooden toilets (latrine) as furnishings. It is a myth that people did not wash in middle ages Europe. They did, being dirty or smelly was always frowned upon. It's just that for most people washing meant a wooden tub.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    Pretty much what @Danikat said.

In the past, most people lived where they worked and where they ate, etc. Most common houses had a main room or a big open space, and beds and more private areas were on the sides behind curtains or dividers.

Rich people (nobles and such) had more rooms, mostly for entertainment, washing, storage, etc.

This is not a Western medieval stereotype, we can see this in any culture, even in antiquity, people were practical, they made the best of the little resources they had, and usually the house was family centered (all members living and working together). Back then, kids did not have a room, and playing was very limited, because they would work/help as soon as they were able.
    Nobles had more rooms in their castle/manor to be able to host numerous guests and their staff.

What I consider the game doesn't feature enough in terms of furnishings / city design, is sanitary facilities. It is known that even in early antiquity, most cities in different cultures featured public baths. In Tamriel, cities have extensive aqueducts, sewer systems, but the houses/cities have no drains, toilets or baths. I would also like to see wooden toilets (latrine) as furnishings. It is a myth that people did not wash in middle ages Europe. They did, being dirty or smelly was always frowned upon. It's just that for most people washing meant a wooden tub.

If I recall correctly, there's actually a bath house in Wrothgar! So I'm really surprised that bath houses are not a thing in pretty much every civilization in Tamriel. And I really agree about the lack of furnishings for these kinds of things. Not only do we need more bath tubs but we need outhouses, "water closet" furnishings, etc. I'd also LOVE to see things like a placeable hotspring! And various other sunken baths.

And because I know this is a no nudity game... can we PLEASE get some bathing suits??? LOL