The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

AP Gain

Larcomar
Larcomar
✭✭✭✭✭
Going into Cyro recently I seem to be seeing more and more troll type builds. You know the guys with super mobility who run round and round in circles, or super tanky bods LOSing etc etc Thing is, while in the past you figured they were building ulti to burst someone down, with everyone building so tanky because of ttk, I don't think I've seen one of them kill anyone last few days. I got bored, got a snack, and sat on siege for a bit and one of these guys snuck up to "burst" me. He got me down to about 70% before giving up and running away. I'm not even that tanky and was semi AFK. He didn't have any dps at all.

It made we wonder if I'm missing something - I've always assumed the game plan was kite around, build ulti and then burst someone down and that's how they made AP. But if they're not killing anyone... Are they getting Ap someone where else - I sometimes see a tick which simply says "in combat" which I've never quite understood - what are the rewards like, or is it that they just really really enjoy running in circles? I mean, if that's what floats their boat, hey, play how you want. Just wondering if I'm missing something here, and, possibly some uber AP strategy. I usually just tootle around helping out on sieges, taking resources and smacking players when I see them....

• vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of those players don't want to burst down other smallscalers or solo players, but only randoms with low resistances, health, and self heal. Maybe you run into one of those. Most of those jumping Petsorc Groups are trash, who run for their lifes as soon as an evenly matched group approaches them. They live from focusing squishy randoms inside a zerg.

PS: Also keep in mind there are players who don't care about AP, but focus on other goals.
    Edited by vesselwiththepestle on August 5, 2021 10:25AM
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil is mostly objective based pvp, gaining ap can be also done by taking or defending objectives. Tanks function as a force multiplier. They do things like applying defbuffs, splitting enemy forces through distraction, burning siege to delay the fort from flagging, etc. Killing individual players or groups of players isn’t their main function helping their allies kill other players or take objectives is.

When their allies defeat those players, they also get credit for the defeat and ap. Depending on how active the map is a tank can make 65k ap or more solo per hour without even trying to farm it; just showing up to objectives and actively participating in it.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larcomar wrote: »
    Going into Cyro recently I seem to be seeing more and more troll type builds. You know the guys with super mobility who run round and round in circles, or super tanky bods LOSing etc etc Thing is, while in the past you figured they were building ulti to burst someone down, with everyone building so tanky because of ttk, I don't think I've seen one of them kill anyone last few days. I got bored, got a snack, and sat on siege for a bit and one of these guys snuck up to "burst" me. He got me down to about 70% before giving up and running away. I'm not even that tanky and was semi AFK. He didn't have any dps at all.

It made we wonder if I'm missing something - I've always assumed the game plan was kite around, build ulti and then burst someone down and that's how they made AP. But if they're not killing anyone... Are they getting Ap someone where else - I sometimes see a tick which simply says "in combat" which I've never quite understood - what are the rewards like, or is it that they just really really enjoy running in circles? I mean, if that's what floats their boat, hey, play how you want. Just wondering if I'm missing something here, and, possibly some uber AP strategy. I usually just tootle around helping out on sieges, taking resources and smacking players when I see them....

I mean, not all people who build tanky are actually very good, so you might be overestimating the amount of strategic thinking and/or execution going on there. They also might not really be in it for the AP. You get more AP and are more effective at your job when you're part of a group, rolling from keep to keep either taking it or farming the hordes of pugs, so if everyone wanted AP or to be useful on the map they'd just do that. You don't even have to be in one of the top-tier guilds like CB, Drac, or Fantasia, even the puggier guilds get it done. IDK, these days if you see a tank and don't recognize them as being part of a guild it's best to just ignore them, they aren't going to be able to do much.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of those players don't want to burst down other smallscalers or solo players, but only randoms with low resistances, health, and self heal. Maybe you run into one of those. Most of those jumping Petsorc Groups are trash, who run for their lifes as soon as an evenly matched group approaches them. They live from focusing squishy randoms inside a zerg.

PS: Also keep in mind there are players who don't care about AP, but focus on other goals.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. Most of these guys actually seem pretty ineffectual, except when it comes to running round in circles. I was watching one guy couple of days back, he must have been running around a keep for half an hour, didn't kill a soul. Or come close. I couldn't figure it out. But like you say, maybe they'll make bank as we get towards end of campaign and pve'rs flood in to get tier 1 - or yeah, maybe they just dig running in circles. Probably think they're "1vXing" :)
    Recremen wrote: »
    I mean, not all people who build tanky are actually very good, so you might be overestimating the amount of strategic thinking and/or execution going on there. They also might not really be in it for the AP. You get more AP and are more effective at your job when you're part of a group, rolling from keep to keep either taking it or farming the hordes of pugs, so if everyone wanted AP or to be useful on the map they'd just do that. You don't even have to be in one of the top-tier guilds like CB, Drac, or Fantasia, even the puggier guilds get it done. IDK, these days if you see a tank and don't recognize them as being part of a guild it's best to just ignore them, they aren't going to be able to do much.

[/quote]

And. Yeah. I'm probably vastly overestimating the amount of strategic thinking going on here. I was just wondering if AP calc's got changed or there was a gimmick or something that I was missing. I tend to level lots of different toons up in pvp, and always up for trying something new. Not sure I want to do that but hey. Maybe more fun than d-dwing-d-dwing- dawnbreaker-execute.

Ignoring them is my go to strategy. Usually tag them to get credit for 20/40 players, but otherwise leave them to it. The only thing is, I seem to find myself ignoring an increasing number of players nowadays. Maybe I'm getting burned out, but I just can't be bothered to play chase with rolly polly types, hide and seek with NBs who shade away when they get one hit, mistform abusers, tower farmers etc etc... Sadly that seems to be like half the server nowadays. Maybe it is time to join them :) Or get out....

edited as my quotes always seem to stuff up
    Edited by Larcomar on August 6, 2021 8:55AM