The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does the development team plan on updating the character model graphics?

Banetek
Banetek
✭✭✭
I know this has been mentioned before but the feet models look akin to the 1960s cartoon The Flintstones. Now before all the foot fetish jokes start flowing or the " what does it matter to your dude" questions start flowing lets just take a moment and ask why do the characters look like their from a 980 Nvidia card while the feet look like something from the voodoo 3000 video card?

I'm rocking a 1080Ti and I know some people are using newer cards. I like ESO, the other graphical aspects are acceptable but the feet models and even some of the hand models are really just not good.

SO my question is does the development team have plans to update or are they even aware of this issue?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably not. ZOS is rather adverse to updating visuals unless it's a legitimate bug after the incidents with the female Redguard and Orc motifs. They've since learned that it's not so easy to make changes when many players like the way things look.

Unfortunately, this also means that obviously bizarre stuff like bad horse anatomy goes unaddressed on a number of mounts.
  • Kadraeus
    Kadraeus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably not. ZOS is rather adverse to updating visuals unless it's a legitimate bug after the incidents with the female Redguard and Orc motifs. They've since learned that it's not so easy to make changes when many players like the way things look.

Unfortunately, this also means that obviously bizarre stuff like bad horse anatomy goes unaddressed on a number of mounts.

Yeah, this and the fact that they probably don't see a point in updating the models when it won't directly bring in money are reasons why I don't think it'll happen. Still, the feet being the way they are is an old trend. Skyrim is the same way since people tend not to look at characters' feet anyway (besides the obvious exception). I've noticed that the feet in this game are pretty much just shoe-shaped meshes with textures on them to look like they have toes. It's to save on memory so the game doesn't have to render an extra 100 polygons just for toes when they aren't really seen and don't bend like fingers do. The problem is that the less the low-poly model is shaped like the high-poly model, the less convincing the textures will be. That's why they don't look very good up close. It's the difference between being bare-foot or wearing shoes with toes painted on them. I've grown to accept it, especially since some of my favorite motifs are the Elsweyr ones and those often have the toes out.

That's also another issue. They'd have to go and update every motif that has sandals so the toes have more polygons. It just wouldn't be worth it.

Though, I can't really imagine people actually having an issue if something like this were changed. Wanting to change the design of armor is subjective. Improving the anatomy on a character model isn't unless the intent is for the anatomy to be incorrect (which, despite the game being stylized, isn't the case). I personally wish they'd smooth out the weird crease on the shoulders of female characters.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And also the lack of updates to the vampire appearance. Even though the new appearance looked better there were some people up in arms over it and thus the same old same old skins are still being used despite how backwards they look in the new system.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh.... how often do you actually LOOK at toes? Sheesh.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they do update character models, they're going to have to give out free appearance changes as there are those out there who are meticulous about their sliders, face and body positions. Changing anything from the base is likely to cause a stir when it changes to something outside of their liking.
  • wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Considering there's an entire nature loving elf race, there is more merit to the complaint than you might think. Having said that, I don't think the improvements should stop at upgrading the feet from skin textured shoes.
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spoken like a true foot guy.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kinda hope they don't tbh. With all the graphics turned down low the game just plays well enough. ESO is easily accessible on lots of different types of hardware, and even runs great on Linux through Proton. Don't fix what ain't broken.
    The server performance however...
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only time the toe things bugs is with certain costumes when you end up dying your skin reminds me of original EQ dye xD
  • Lady_Sleepless
    Lady_Sleepless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feet don't bother me much, but hands do. The texture on hands (specially males) look really weird, on larger races like high elves, nords and orcs the texture looks very stretched.
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭

Considering there's an entire nature loving elf race, there is more merit to the complaint than you might think. Having said that, I don't think the improvements should stop at upgrading the feet from skin textured shoes.

Yes, that’s why I went with one of the shoes that are like sandals for my Bosmer gal. It makes sense for her race even if the toes look weird.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Our characters have feet?

Huh.

o:)
  • Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope so those feet lookin funky. Also I hate how some outfits and armor warp either the characters butt or shoulders.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was about to pass this by while muttering about "who the hell even looks at their characters' feet?!" but then I remembered how many motifs and costumes feature open-toed footwear, so I think the OP may have a point.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They could at least update the textures so it's more convincing. They don't even need to increase resolution. Just. Repaint.

Fingers are disturbing too. Fingers lookin' like the cheap hotdogs in the freezer isle.

Also all the pores on men's faces that just get stretched and mushed around.

Ew
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I swear I remember reading something here a while back about them changing/improving character models in the future, but no idea if that was legit or just speculation.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Argonian, bosmer, imperial and khajiit fashion says hi. I like my sandals and foot wrappings for them.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I swear I remember reading something here a while back about them changing/improving character models in the future, but no idea if that was legit or just speculation.

You didn't imagine it. I also remember seeing an article that visual improvements would be coming down the line, but it was not specific as to what it included.