The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

All Game Settings Should Be Account-Wide By Default

cleric_warlock
cleric_warlock
✭✭✭
I just finished creating 10 new characters to get to the cap of 18 and am currently in the midst of spending hours documenting all of my prefered settings on my main and manually copying them on to all of my other characters and double checking to make sure I have everything just the way I want it. The overwhelming majority of my settings are the same across all characters so I am essentially wasting a ton of time due only to the fact that characters do not share most of their settings across the account. ZOS, please make all settings account-wide by default and let players choose which ones they want to vary by character. I should be able to configure everything in 15 minutes and not go through all this tedium. I am also aware that there are addons out there that achieve some of this, but I have given up on them since they are mostly out of date, buggy, and only seem to complicate things.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed. You should be able to set things globally at the log-in screen and then tweak once you've logged in as someone. Basic workflow, really.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is literally the only "account-wide" thing I agree with. Or at least give us the option on character creation to copy settings from one of our characters.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Full Agree
  • cleric_warlock
    cleric_warlock
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Didn't tag a dev, feels like I should.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the very least text chat colours need to be account wide! Every time I change guilds I have to log in and out of all 18 characters to put the colours right. Makes no sense for them to be different for every character when aoe colours are account wide - those I can see a need of being character specific because different classes have different skill colours but nope!
    PS4 EU
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strongly agree with this
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should have been done from the beginning... there is no reason why you cannot have a 'global' setting for all the system settings. It's annoying when creating a new character to have to go in and change all the settings, create chat tabs, etc... when they should all carry over to a new character.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • six2fall
    six2fall
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the many QoL updates players have been asking for since launch & here we are what 8 years later so dont hold your breath
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely they must have the funds now for this change, right?
    𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
  • Herr_Flocke
    Herr_Flocke
    ✭✭✭
    I am also aware that there are addons out there that achieve some of this, but I have given up on them since they are mostly out of date, buggy, and only seem to complicate things.
    I am using Votan's keybinder for quite some time now, and I have no probs with account wide key bindings.What's your problem ?

• DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, PLEASE, says she with the ridiculous number of alts.
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, there are two different things: the game itself and the addons. By both settings, there are some features I set differently to each of my chars.
    So, for me personally, it would be OK to have each of the settings set to account wide per default, however, I would like to keep the possibility to remove it.
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that there should at least be an option to copy settings from a previous character. I understand that some may want different settings for different characters so let that be the default, but I suspect an equal or greater number of people would rather share settings among their entire account. There are addons to allow this, but no base game functionality.
    Edited by redspecter23 on July 31, 2021 4:52AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    This is literally the only "account-wide" thing I agree with. Or at least give us the option on character creation to copy settings from one of our characters.

You don't think mount should be account wide? :smile:

I definitely agree the game should allow us to have a base setting for options. Why should we have to remember and reset them for each new character?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Old_Foggy
    Old_Foggy
    ✭✭✭✭
    And right at the start for a new player it would be a big help if nameplates were already on by default so they can tell who is a friendly or an enemy etc. I had to help someone out with how to turn them on once as he didn't know how to tell the baddies from the goodies when on a busy dolmen and wasn't getting any kills.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just find it annoying that I have to have printouts of my game settings so I know how to get camera and everything else adjusted for a new character. Also, WHY does a new character start out from First Person perspective when the majority of players prefer Third Person?!? Just seems a bit odd they wouldn't make Third Person the default.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes, hard agree
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it'd definitely be a big QoL change. At the very least have a checkbox you can tick if you want them to be account wide or not. Once you uncheck it, any future changes are character bound.
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear Mara, yes please! I have to go through and make sure everything is just right whenever I create a new character. It's hell on my OCD.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also if you leave a guild the social colours shouldn't all change. leave my guilds in the same colour I have chosen
  • Kadraeus
    Kadraeus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, please. I had to manually change my settings every time I made a new character and it was annoying. It's little stuff like changing the Ultimate key to b, binding walk to caps lock, setting hide hud to *, and setting all my addon keybinds again.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

You don't think mount should be account wide? :smile:

I definitely agree the game should allow us to have a base setting for options. Why should we have to remember and reset them for each new character?

I probably should have clarified "things that are not yet account-wide". Unless you mean mount training, which I have no problem leveling by character.

I think that, in general, the game does a good job of having some things account-wide and some things character specific. We can argue about the specifics, but I think a balanced approach is better than an extreme one.
    The Moot Councillor
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I normally like things character-specific as they are in game, but the game settings like keybinds and gameplay settings?

Absolutely. Why is this not a thing? What, am I going to have a completely different key for my ult depending on which character I'm playing?

When I start a new character, I always have to take a bit to reset my keybinds and everything else (and then I get annoyed when I'm in the middle of an outfit station and find out I forgot to bind 'sheathe/unsheathe' so I have to back out and lose everything...) There's really no reason that they shouldn't at least let us set the defaults globally.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like this as well. The only settings I can remember wanting done differently on each character are the ones to show or hide mount upgrades. As far as I remember everything else is the same.

I'm using an addon called Account Settings to synch them. It is out of date but it seems to work perfectly and it saves me a lot of hassle when I change something, because I don't have to repeat that change on every other charater. But this is something which really should be available as a default option rather than managed through an addon.
    Edited by Danikat on August 1, 2021 7:53PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree
    I know this is about settings and not controls per say but I'm left-handed and have to change the controls every time for every new character I create. It would be nice to only have to do it once.

Would be nice if there was an account based way to change both settings and controls
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vibeborn wrote: »
    I agree
    I know this is about settings and not controls per say but I'm left-handed and have to change the controls every time for every new character I create. It would be nice to only have to do it once.

Would be nice if there was an account based way to change both settings and controls

I would expect both would be covered by this request, since they are all in the same "menu".
    PC
    PS4/PS5