The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shouldn't Kwama be Chitinous creatures?

spartaxoxo
spartaxoxo
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
It's the endeavor to kill those kinds so I killed some Kwama, didn't count. Dreugh and Mudcrabs do though, fyi
Edited by ZOS_Bill on September 1, 2022 12:47PM
  • WithMyLaserGun
    WithMyLaserGun
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think Shalks should be too tbh.
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    mudcrabs count (stros m'kai - farming nodes + chitinous)

Edit:
    as for should they count - kwama was my first assumption too...
    Edited by ghost_bg_ESO on July 30, 2021 1:27PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mudcrabs count (stros m'kai - farming nodes + chitinous)

Yes. I'm aware. I say this in the OP. I already did this with the Dreugh at Dreughside near Wayrest. I'm moreso asking why Kwama wouldn't be included given that I'm fairly sure them being Chintinous creatures is part of the lore.

https://esoitem.uesp.net/itemLink.php?&itemid=126167&level=1&quality=2

Like that's a treasure in-game and in Blades entire armor sets is made from it.

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Blades:Chitin

Edit:

eso-trial-of-eyevea-how-the-kwama-lost-his-shoes.jpg

Here's another lore reference to the Kwama chitin.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on July 31, 2021 3:48AM
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's because ESO ruined kwama (especially scribs) and turned them into gross arachnids.

I'll never forgive ZOS for what they did to my little chitinous bois

i2lk4pe.png
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because ESO ruined kwama (especially scribs) and turned them into gross arachnids.

i2lk4pe.png

Arachnids are also chitinous bois. Crabs are arachnids after all.

The lables for these endeavors are very very unclear. All sorts of enemies are not considered "Beasts" either. Only mammals, however Trolls which look like mammals are not considered beasts. I would argue any dangerous animal is a beast.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

i2lk4pe.png

The lables for these endeavors are very very unclear. All sorts of enemies are not considered "Beasts" either. Only mammals, however Trolls which look like mammals are not considered beasts. I would argue any dangerous animal is a beast.

Ahh, good point... I'll change that to "gross spider things" then.

And yeah, it's very confusing... sometimes I have to run around killing random stuff to figure out what qualifies.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, apparently Dunerippers are "chitinous creatures" when they are clearly reptiles and should not have chitin but rather keratin.
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

i2lk4pe.png

I assume "beasts" are all 4 legged dangerous animals like wolves, bears, etc

As for "chitinous" the 1st thing that comes to mind is chaurus followed by dreugh and crabs
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason Kwama don't count as "chitinous creatures" is because they are already considered "insectoid", which is silly as insects have carapaces made of chitin.

That makes me wonder if Guars are considered reptiles or bird-like (like the dinosaurs).

ZOS needs a zoologist on their team.
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The reason Kwama don't count as "chitinous creatures" is because they are already considered "insectoid", which is silly as insects have carapaces made of chitin.

That makes me wonder if Guars are considered reptiles or bird-like (like the dinosaurs).

if we're breaking the 4th wall then fungi also have chitin so picking mushrooms in game should count :tongue:
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What bothers me is that they can have "chitinous", "humanoid", "bestial daedra" and such conditions for endeavors, yet fighter guild bonus damage against vampires and werewolves is a performance hit and will be removed next patch.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wondered the same thing as OP. Tried shalks and kwama with no luck before combat with dreugh and mudcrabs gave me the endeavor. Didn't get to test spiders, scorpions, assassin beetles. Didn't test dunerippers either but, based on a post above, it seems like they count. According to BenevolentBowd's website, yaghra also count.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'nother oddity: nix-oxen count, nix-hounds don't. They both drop "carapace"....
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Crabs are crustaceans, not arachnids. They are more closely related to insects!
    Edited by cyclonus11 on July 30, 2021 3:53PM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »

Crabs are crustaceans, not arachnids. They are more closely related to insects!

I've just done some googling and the subject is a lot more complex and controversial than I've realized.
    Crabs are indeed crustaceans and I had "arachnids" confused for "arthropods", which crustaceans are a part of.

However hexapods, the group that insects belong to, are also arthropods and arachnids are a subgroup of the "Chelicerata" which are also arthropods. Then there are also the myriapods (centipedes and stuff). It's unclear how these groups are related to one another because we don't have enough fossils of the time when these groups diverged.
    So, I don't think anyone can confidently claim right now they are more closely related to insects or spiders.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, apparently Dunerippers are "chitinous creatures" when they are clearly reptiles and should not have chitin but rather keratin.

This is kinda both true and untrue at the same time. There's a few creatures on Tamriel that don't follow any real world taxonomy, so while the Dunerippers appear to be reptiles, it's possible they do produce chitin unlike all real world reptiles.
    Edited by starkerealm on July 30, 2021 11:24PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that's doubly annoying then, because Kwama being farmed for their various parts is like some of the biggest amount of lore and impact on the game of any of the non-daedric creatures.

The cuttle, the chitin, the wax, the eggs, all important to Dunmer society. Dunmer and the Kwama farming are so important to the lore that there are multiple Kwama mines the Vestige interacts with. So if they were gonna have an endeavor that told you to kill foes with one of these parts (in this case, Chitin) then the Kwama should count. If they can only count for one of those things, then it should be that one. This element of them is super important for the lore. It'd be like Dragons not counting for flying foes because they already counted them as reptilian or whatever.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on July 31, 2021 3:19AM
  • cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Well that's doubly annoying then, because Kwama being farmed for their various parts is like some of the biggest amount of lore and impact on the game of any of the non-daedric creatures.

The cuttle, the chitin, the wax, the eggs, all important to Dunmer society. Dunmer and the Kwama farming are so important to the lore that there are multiple Kwama mines the Vestige interacts with. So if they were gonna have an endeavor that told you to kill foes with one of these parts (in this Chitin) then the Kwama should count. If they can only count for one of those things, then it should be that one. This element of them is super important for the lore. It'd be like Dragons not counting for flying foes because they already counted them as reptilian or whatever.

This right here. We're told time after time that kwama are farmed for chitin, eggs, cuttle, etc. It's in the lore ffs. But yet they don't count for the endeavor.

Only possible reason I see for this is to make it harder to do the endeavor. Either that or someone goofed and needs to be slapped. Hard with a kwama chitin.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone at ZOS speak to why this is the case and why some of the endeavors are so unimmersive? We need justice for our little chitinous bois
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #kwamaarechitinoustoo
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • nightstrike
    nightstrike
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only possible reason I see for this is to make it harder to do the endeavor. Either that or someone goofed and needs to be slapped. Hard with a kwama chitin.

I don't think that's the only possible cause. My guess is that the people working on this part of the game just aren't as familiar with the game lore. I don't find that acceptable, personally, but I do find it possible.

There's really no excuse, given how detailed and accurate uesp is. IMO, if you're going to be designing something in the Elder Scrolls universe, a prerequisite is that you've played all 5 main games, their expansions, and some of the offshoot games to death.
    Warning: This signature is tiny!
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Guars are domesticated fowl, as they drop poultry when killed.

EF321 wrote: »
    What bothers me is that they can have "chitinous", "humanoid", "bestial daedra" and such conditions for endeavors, yet fighter guild bonus damage against vampires and werewolves is a performance hit and will be removed next patch.

Touché.

Edited by Jaraal on August 2, 2021 11:50PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Alternately, "chitinous," is meant to refer to arthropods, while the kwama are insectoids.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good job we don't have camel spiders.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

The cuttle, the chitin, the wax, the eggs, all important to Dunmer society. Dunmer and the Kwama farming are so important to the lore that there are multiple Kwama mines the Vestige interacts with. So if they were gonna have an endeavor that told you to kill foes with one of these parts (in this Chitin) then the Kwama should count. If they can only count for one of those things, then it should be that one. This element of them is super important for the lore. It'd be like Dragons not counting for flying foes because they already counted them as reptilian or whatever.

This right here. We're told time after time that kwama are farmed for chitin, eggs, cuttle, etc. It's in the lore ffs. But yet they don't count for the endeavor.

Alternately, "chitinous," is meant to refer to arthropods, while the kwama are insectoids.

Fixed your misquote. Also, unless "insectoids" are not insects, they are also still arthropods. We had that discussion earlier already. Arthropods are the combination of Hexapods (which includes all insects), Chelicerata (which includes spiders), Myriapods (which includes centipedes) and Crustaceans (crabs, shrimps etc).

ZOS definitely needs to take another look at these categories of theirs, because no matter how you turn it, as long as they are using real-life terminology, it's going to cause needless confusion and inconsistency. I can live with Beasts only referring to mammals, but animals harvested for their chitin should definitely count as "chitinous".

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess that someone got told "stick some mobs into each of these categories", and that things couldn't be in multiple ones.

(That'd be the real solution - let them put things in more than one set. So actual bugs could be in Insects and Chitinous. Well, or just get rid of one of the two, and come up with something else that doesn't overlap so much.)
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess that someone got told "stick some mobs into each of these categories", and that things couldn't be in multiple ones.

(That'd be the real solution - let them put things in more than one set. So actual bugs could be in Insects and Chitinous. Well, or just get rid of one of the two, and come up with something else that doesn't overlap so much.)

Yeah. Hopefully the next time this endeavor comes around they'll have done a solution like this one.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if they ever ran this endeavor again?
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they finally ran this endeavor again, and I am sad to report this is still not fixed.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And once again I forget to check if Redoran soldiers are counted as a chitinous creature XD
    Edited by Ippokrates on October 20, 2021 2:47PM