The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Copy Save w/ Class Change

CombatRecon11B
CombatRecon11B
✭✭✭
Like a lot of you, I've been over, under, and through this game so many times. I've region completed and fished to Master Angler, explored and epically adventured, and the very thought of doing such a thing on another character makes me cringe. I've done so much on my other toons already. I really wish I had more flexibility to experience a new class on my main character's progress. Better yet, I want the ability to switch back and forth between toons that share my main's progress.

This is a quality of life option that would breathe new life into this game, offering versatility and flexibility, and more fun.

The cool thing is, in regards to this change, people have the option to choose for themselves to start fresh or copy their main and change the class on that copied save, or not to change the class on the copy.

Choices are paramount to the in game quality of life and giving gamers more control over how they wish to play.

I know there are players for and against this suggested change. But, as I said before, options matter. I, for one hope to see this much needed change brought to ESO.

Thank you.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a single correction if I may, without getting drawn into the pros and cons of class change. It's not a Quality of Life option, it's a major structural change to the overall game and would entail a mass of design and coding changes to e.g. skills and achievements. To introduce multiple copies of the same character but with the same or different classes would give any developer nightmares. It's simply impractical, regardless of the pros and cons.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not change class in the current character? That should be easy - just remove all of previous class skills.
  • CombatRecon11B
    CombatRecon11B
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Just a single correction if I may, without getting drawn into the pros and cons of class change. It's not a Quality of Life option, it's a major structural change to the overall game and would entail a mass of design and coding changes to e.g. skills and achievements. To introduce multiple copies of the same character but with the same or different classes would give any developer nightmares. It's simply impractical, regardless of the pros and cons.

Just a single correction if I may, hrrmm, it's a perspective thing. Quality of life is relative. What might not be good for you, may be good for others. What might appear to be a nightmare to a dev could be bliss for a gamer.

On top of that, I disagree that it would be that huge of a struggle. Though the devs have stated it would be difficult to implement class change, that was nearly a decade ago. Times have changed. Also, it would not be a stretch to merely give gamers the option to duplicate their game save and play on the copy. That is child's play.

With progress for sale in terms of skyshards and skill lines etc, having such an option may undercut the profits, and that's really where the rubber meets the road.
  • BeefcakeManwich
    So you answered your suggestions from ZOS perspective. The point of this post was? Eyeballs?
    Edited by BeefcakeManwich on July 30, 2021 5:42PM
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this is basically just a dressed-up post asking for account wide achievements!
    PS4 EU
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a single correction if I may, hrrmm, it's a perspective thing. Quality of life is relative. What might not be good for you, may be good for others. What might appear to be a nightmare to a dev could be bliss for a gamer.

On top of that, I disagree that it would be that huge of a struggle. Though the devs have stated it would be difficult to implement class change, that was nearly a decade ago. Times have changed. Also, it would not be a stretch to merely give gamers the option to duplicate their game save and play on the copy. That is child's play.

With progress for sale in terms of skyshards and skill lines etc, having such an option may undercut the profits, and that's really where the rubber meets the road.

In 50 years, the underlying foundation of ESO's engine will still be the same. Technological progress does not mean the developer tools become more powerful - they're still the same tools with a $10,000 USD studio PC setup from 2012 or a $15,000 USD setup from 2021. That is the limitation - the way the game is developed and the tools it uses - not the CPU and GPU, nor what other games are doing that are being actively developed.

This is probably the most common misconception I see in the forums, about how "easy" it would be to "simply" add feature X in, because it's just a "little" database switch, and I made a spreadsheet once with formulae I found using Google - trust me, I'm an expert at sql statements now. I believe the Dunning-Kruger Effect really shines through in statements like these
    PC-NA | PvP (Gray Host & BGs) | PvE (vTrials & vDGs)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »
    Why not change class in the current character? That should be easy - just remove all of previous class skills.

Not how that works; from what I understand, it's way messier than it looks.

Now, ZOS might build the backend for a class token at some point in the future, but it's not as simple as, "just swap the skill lines."
  • CombatRecon11B
    CombatRecon11B
    ✭✭✭
    Malkiv wrote: »

In 50 years, the underlying foundation of ESO's engine will still be the same. Technological progress does not mean the developer tools become more powerful - they're still the same tools with a $10,000 USD studio PC setup from 2012 or a $15,000 USD setup from 2021. That is the limitation - the way the game is developed and the tools it uses - not the CPU and GPU, nor what other games are doing that are being actively developed.

This is probably the most common misconception I see in the forums, about how "easy" it would be to "simply" add feature X in, because it's just a "little" database switch, and I made a spreadsheet once with formulae I found using Google - trust me, I'm an expert at sql statements now. I believe the Dunning-Kruger Effect really shines through in statements like these

[snip]

It's copying a save, not much more. Don't try and say it's impossible, or that the devs aren't up to the task. As far as your example dealing with the tools... right, and how many updates and transitions have the programs and applications for these rigs gone through in 10 years?

As for class change, that would be ultimately the test.

lillybit wrote: »
    So this is basically just a dressed-up post asking for account wide achievements!

I wouldn't mind account wide achievements as long as they're optional, in case I'd like to start a bare bones, fresh character. In such a case, perhaps the ability to change your class would be less desirable. Though, this would be an extensive overhaul of the game, and I can't see it becoming a reality. Duplicate character saves is the way I think it could work. Question is do they have the ability to work in class change?

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 31, 2021 6:49PM
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of people want to be able to continue progress on another class but not everyone has a free slot to create a new character. Regardless of whether they're possible or a good idea, account wide achievements or class changes would be a good solutions.

Copying a save as you describe would be a horrible way to do it because it would prevent a large number of people from taking advantage of it, and add in an extra paywall for those who need to buy an extra character slot first.

Personally I'd like to see a master list that shows combined achievements for the whole account, but preserves individual characters progress. I think it would be a nice compromise
    PS4 EU
  • CombatRecon11B
    CombatRecon11B
    ✭✭✭
    lillybit wrote: »
    Lots of people want to be able to continue progress on another class but not everyone has a free slot to create a new character. Regardless of whether they're possible or a good idea, account wide achievements or class changes would be a good solutions.

Copying a save as you describe would be a horrible way to do it because it would prevent a large number of people from taking advantage of it, and add in an extra paywall for those who need to buy an extra character slot first.

Personally I'd like to see a master list that shows combined achievements for the whole account, but preserves individual characters progress. I think it would be a nice compromise

Good reply. 👍

Seems a rarity these days to witness such an acute unbiased observation on this fanatical and preferentially engaging board.
  • Viyvos
    Viyvos
    ✭✭✭
    I 100% agree with this. A class change would imporve the quality of life for this game immensely.
  • CombatRecon11B
    CombatRecon11B
    ✭✭✭
    Viyvos wrote: »
    I 100% agree with this. A class change would imporve the quality of life for this game immensely.

Yeah, either that, or optional shared progress between characters, then maybe class change isn't needed.
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should jsut add enlightenment to all characters,not just over 50 ones.Would make leveling and learning new classes easier and faster.That would be more a QoL.Though with class change they would probably add a long cooldown before changing again(week to month),so everyone don't constantly change to have advantage if a class is found to be OP or something.Kinda like they do with the alliance ones,so people don't change alliances to be on winning side for good loot.
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I said all characters,I mean alt characters,if you made it over 50 on atleast one character.