Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Booted from server due to 'excessive messaging'

Hollyniss
Hollyniss
✭✭✭
That's the first time I've ever run into that. I didn't even write anything in chat or message anyone and yet I get booted for that reason. WTF
Edited by ZOS_Bill on August 3, 2021 10:44PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have complained about the wording of that error all the way back to the beta testing days.

Messaging in this context has nothing to do with chat but rather "messages" your game client is sending to the server.
    For example, if you spam the block key a million times in 5 seconds, your client will send a "Hey, i just hit the block key!" to the server every time. The same goes for other inputs from you.

Every time your client sends any kind of data to the server, it's considered a "message" ...
    shades.gif

Edited by SirAndy on July 28, 2021 1:31AM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They generally say this is "due to addons", but I don't run any and it still happened after Temporal Guard bugged out and sent me slingshotting back and forth.
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS should change that error wording to Booted from Server due to 'Excessive Lag'

I have had it happen to me, and I am on console. Always when lag is really bad.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ingenon wrote: »
    ZOS should change that error wording to Booted from Server due to 'Excessive Lag'

I have had it happen to me, and I am on console. Always when lag is really bad.

I think that's essentially what it is. At a guess, when it's laggy you're spamming buttons which all get added to the queue, then when the server finally wakes up it gets this flood of stuff to deal with and boots you.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For help with troubleshooting Error 318 please see our FAQ here. This help article will go over possible causes and steps you can take to get further assistance.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post