The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Still no mini map, especially for console?

karwoski
karwoski
✭✭
Seems this has been requested for years, and still isn't a thing? the lack of UI customization in this game, especially on console, is really disappointing compared to other mmo style games. yes, i know there will be the troll replies with "i never use it on pc, you don't need it", good for you. It can be an option to have on/off. Really is no reason this isn't available.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess they figure add-on makers do a good enough job.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun fact, ESO used to have a built-in mini-map in early beta ...
    shades.gif

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can not play this game without a mini map.

If i could only have one addon, that would be it.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the complaint from console players, but it's wrong to refer to "the lack of UI customization in this game, especially on console". There is no lack of UI customisation on PC, and its absence on console is purely down to the failure of the console providers to permit the use of addons. Hence a more accurate complaint would refer to "the lack of UI customization in this game on console due to the console providers' unwillingness to permit it".

And yes, as it happens I do play on PC and don't feel the need for any addons, preferring a simplistic UI and with no desire at all for a mini map, but for those who do want such features then they are available, but console players need to lobby their console provider rather than ZOS if they wish them to be made available on their platform. If addons were permitted on console then I've no doubt there would be plenty of console players providing them, but meanwhile there's less reason for ZOS to integrate the mini map addons into the base game than there is to integrate the trading addons which are even more critical given the present trading system but which are also denied to console players.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be against one, but I'd want it to be toggled on/off in the settings. Hopefully there'd be useful iconography, otherwise the compass is enough for me.
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is already part of the code, so if it can't be implemented, an explanation of why not would be nice.
    Xbox NA/EU
    "Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
  • kmcaj
    kmcaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds awful. One map is enough.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I understand the complaint from console players, but it's wrong to refer to "the lack of UI customization in this game, especially on console". There is no lack of UI customisation on PC, and its absence on console is purely down to the failure of the console providers to permit the use of addons. Hence a more accurate complaint would refer to "the lack of UI customization in this game on console due to the console providers' unwillingness to permit it".

And yes, as it happens I do play on PC and don't feel the need for any addons, preferring a simplistic UI and with no desire at all for a mini map, but for those who do want such features then they are available, but console players need to lobby their console provider rather than ZOS if they wish them to be made available on their platform. If addons were permitted on console then I've no doubt there would be plenty of console players providing them, but meanwhile there's less reason for ZOS to integrate the mini map addons into the base game than there is to integrate the trading addons which are even more critical given the present trading system but which are also denied to console players.

Agree with your point but only halfway. ZOS committed to have the game on consoles and they certainly make money from the console side.

If I had to guess it would be more to do with ZOS does not think that adding a mini map is worth the effort and choose to spend its resources elsewhere. Like very large homes that we can no way decorate rather then small to medium size homes. After all it’s a numbers game and big lofty homes make money for them whereas a small, but much request feature would not.

As far as add-ons on console. I am sure that’s it true that the Sony and MS do limit it but that does not stop it. After all Skyrim has add-ons for consoles but you had to get them from Bethesda.

https://bethesda.net/en/mods/skyrim?number_results=20&order=desc&page=1&platform=PS4&product=skyrim&sort=popular&text=

https://bethesda.net/en/mods/skyrim?number_results=20&order=desc&page=1&platform=XB1&product=skyrim&sort=popular&text=

Stay safe everyone and ZOS please fix the green tree micromanaging :)

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    If I had to guess it would be more to do with ZOS does not think that adding a mini map is worth the effort and choose to spend its resources elsewhere.

As mentioned above, the minimap code is already/still in ESO. It just has been disabled since beta.

I doubt it would take a lot of resources to make it work again.
    type.gif

• ibkickin
    ibkickin
    ✭✭
    Yeah, a minimap would be one hell of a gift to console players. The amount of times I have to open the map like a lost child trying to find a specific building or when I'm doing an antiquity is ridiculous.
    Strength on it's own is directionless, Thirst for battle is helpless, Only when the two join is a mighty warrior born.
  • EpicHero
    EpicHero
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you play in 4k on console, then all you have is a mini map :)
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

It's still on Zenimax in this instance though.

The addons for PC that enable the minimap are not creating their own minimap. They're using the map already there, and making it always visible in a shrunken state. You skip having to open the map, but it's the same map.

Some addons go further and add special location pins and so on, but the crux of the minimap is already sitting in the game.

Additionally, Zenimax has slowly incorporated a few addons into the base game, even for console. Most recently the skill timers they're working on. They're obviously capable of implementing addon-like functionality into the base game when they want to.
    PC NA