The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

PvP hasn’t been fun for years

Udrath
Udrath
✭✭✭✭
I dont play at all like I used too in the past. Maybe 15-20 hours at best in the past year. They’ve ruined a lot of classes in pvp, messed with numbers to much, battle spirit, passives, etc. There is no class identity anymore. Some classes were better than others at certain things in pvp... wardens, necromancers really ruined pvp IMO. “Best stamdk build is a warden”

When I bought this game I thought the end game was based around PVP and PVE mixed together in cyrodiil. It’s not. It’s housing, crafting writs, outfit station and discord. The PvP community has a dark side that hates people trying to make a living playing and promoting the game. Some of the people promoting the game don’t have the courage to mention how bad cyrodiil is or pvp in general.

The lag zaps any fun out of the game, BGs match making is crap, zero faction loyalty for the sake of questing. There is Not many people left who pvp for the experience of PvP. They PvP for some transmute crystals so they can’t hop onto the next meta faster, so they faction stack cause pvp is a chore for them. Why even PvP?

If ZoS sold 100 transmute crystals for 1000 crowns 80% of the PvP community would probably vanish.

Edited by Udrath on July 22, 2021 6:49AM
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sad but true. I think we have seen that several things had a bad impact.

Bad:
    - move to console pre release ➡️ Only heals that target players near you ➡️ Ball groups
    - CP1.0
    - Uncrittable shields
    - Procs
    - Proxy det ➡️ Ball groups
    - Wardens
    - Balorgh with proc ➡️ Tanks
    - Necros
    - Cheats due to clientside calculations
    - Moving calculations from client to server ➡️ lags

Going to consoles was surely the right move for the overall health of the game, but it had an impact on PvP gameplay.
    Other things from the above list have already been adressed and there are also a couple of positive things.

Good:
    - CP2.0
    - no-proc cyro
    - Only selfheal cyro
    - Armor changes
    - Base crit res with lowered impreg
    - Etc

There have been a lot of good changes. But they are still overshadowed by the big fun killers above.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk about you but the current meta might be the healthiest meta I've seen in years.
    Yes, some old classes need more love. They should look at the abilities nobody use (they should have stats) and give actually useful abilities instead.

Overall, there are one major issue of cyrolag and minor issue of BG deathmatch queue.

The lack of new PvP content or reworks is sad too, but I guess I'm fine with what we have now anyway.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like pvp right now. They just need to fix their servers because lag and unresponsive abilities are the only thing making me mad in pvp.
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forgot one thing...
    Removing faction lock was against the whole idea of Cyrodiil. And it led to some very unhealthy behavior
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd just love some communication from them:

- Do you have any future plans for PvP (Cyrodiil, IC, Battlegrounds)
    - Are you still working on performance? I don't need to know the details, I just need to know you still care enough to invest time into fixing it.

Sometimes I feel like a kid who was thrown into an empty room with nothing but a newspaper to play with, and my parent saying have fun and shut up.

Just talk to us. Make a thread asking what changes we'd like to see in PvP and that would probably keep us happy for a while, just for the acknowledgement. It's frustrating to say the least.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I'd just love some communication from them:

- Do you have any future plans for PvP (Cyrodiil, IC, Battlegrounds)
    - Are you still working on performance? I don't need to know the details, I just need to know you still care enough to invest time into fixing it.

Sometimes I feel like a kid who was thrown into an empty room with nothing but a newspaper to play with, and my parent saying have fun and shut up.

Just talk to us. Make a thread asking what changes we'd like to see in PvP and that would probably keep us happy for a while, just for the acknowledgement. It's frustrating to say the least.

Why?

Just so I can hear them say once again that they are committed to performance and listen to their excuses why the game can't handle 20v20? Am I supposed to believe what they say when 2018 was the year dedicated to performance increase and they can't even be bothered to hire a PvP developer?

That's all you need to know right there. No PvP developer means no future content for PvP (unless you consider taking something away content) and when you play during prime time, your skills will take 3 seconds to fire, if at all.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP is a totally imbalanced mess, honestly. If you play regularly you will see that roughly 80% of the players are meele. The strongest players I encounter are meele with insane resistances, mobility and damage. There is 0 chance for glasscannon builds to effectively kite these players around mainly because of the spammable critical rush and the easy access to run speed buffs in heavy armor.

I believe that 99% of those players who prefer an open-world kiting PvP (and I am not talking about kiting inside towers, but in plain open field) have already left this game and the forums and so they are not raising their voice here anymore. Furthermore, I really have my doubts that the devs actually seriously play their own game in PvP: I want to see a dev streaming facing one of the tank-meta players in a magicka cloth setup.

What remains are people who believe they are gods but they are just carried by this imbalance -- and mostly empty cyro besides of few hours prime time.

I hope the devs will finally see this problem and take action. For the time being I have cancelled my sub as it seems the only valid way of protest until things go better. It is absolutely not enjoyable anymore.
    Edited by Adernath on July 24, 2021 9:03PM
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When was the last time ZoS streamed Cyro? Did they have anything for the world plays stream event besides Feng's BG stream?
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, I'm enjoying myself in cyro...sorry, not sorry...

and remember, whoever has the most fun wins :p
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭
    Idk I’ve been having a blast in PVP this patch. Everyone says necro and warden ruined PVP now but stamden is still the only side of warden that’s good in PVP. Magden isn’t bad but it’s not good, I have fun with my iceden though and I’m excited for the frost reach change, and some additional ice sets. Magcro has always been capable in the right hands in PVP but has just gotten to a point where it’s actually good in PVP, before that stamcro was the star same as stam warden.

Point is most classes are dominated in PVP by the stam variants and that’s only recently changed for necro while it’s still true for warden. So how have they ruined PVP?
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ImSoPro wrote: »
    Idk I’ve been having a blast in PVP this patch. Everyone says necro and warden ruined PVP now but stamden is still the only side of warden that’s good in PVP. Magden isn’t bad but it’s not good, I have fun with my iceden though and I’m excited for the frost reach change, and some additional ice sets.

I'm having a blast with this patch too, but I disagree on magden part. Magden is strong, people just focus on icy thing too much, meanwhile I did lvl4 vampy in magic damage and it is insanely effective - probably the strongest duelist I ever made.

https://youtu.be/J1I0UZjYUeQ

Anyway, I don't share the sentiment that old classes are way worse. We have nightblade and sorc that are totally in the meta. Templar is ok today and will be buffed hard next patch. DK is bad atm.. but really, even DK has several weird builds that aren't possible in other classes.
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish the game performance was sufficient that I could start finding about class imbalance! LOL. Playing from Australia with a 250-300 ping & I can't land skill on NPCs that are directly in my reticle at point blank range. The skill noise goes off, the animation plays, my resources are reduced.. the target takes no damage.

It's totally pointless to try & land single target skills on fast moving players.. most just won't do anything. It feels like being in a gunfight with a toy gun... it goes bang bang, but then the enemy just kills me :)
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really? You don't enjoy constant lagfiesta, early alpha performance and the fact that ZOS abandoned PVP in ESO? I'm surprised
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's better than the previous years but incoming damage is a bit over the top due to the stats increase. One missed roll dodge especially against classes like Warden and you're toast. The upcoming change to Battle Spirit is a good move though 55% reduction seems a bit too much, I think 50% is the sweet spot.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    ImSoPro wrote: »
    Idk I’ve been having a blast in PVP this patch. Everyone says necro and warden ruined PVP now but stamden is still the only side of warden that’s good in PVP. Magden isn’t bad but it’s not good, I have fun with my iceden though and I’m excited for the frost reach change, and some additional ice sets.

I'm having a blast with this patch too, but I disagree on magden part. Magden is strong, people just focus on icy thing too much, meanwhile I did lvl4 vampy in magic damage and it is insanely effective - probably the strongest duelist I ever made.

https://youtu.be/J1I0UZjYUeQ

Anyway, I don't share the sentiment that old classes are way worse. We have nightblade and sorc that are totally in the meta. Templar is ok today and will be buffed hard next patch. DK is bad atm.. but really, even DK has several weird builds that aren't possible in other classes.

Vampire is a very strong duelist indeed thanks to Undeath and a spammable that ramps up in damage based on your missing health. I will admit though.... every time I see footage of a battlegrounds match I'm afraid of seeing myself getting absolutely destroyed lol.

And DK is bad but it's weird builds do work well against Nightblades and other Dragonknights. Sorcerers to a smaller degree but the main thing is the opponent can't purge the harmful effects. DK's are too susceptible to purges tbh :no_mouth:
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find battlegrounds enjoyable. But it's extremely frustrating that we can't play death match when we want.
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on July 27, 2021 11:56AM
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭
    My friend battlegrounds enjoyable. But it's extremely frustrating that we can't play death match when we want.

Turn them all into death matches until ZOS gives us the option to choose again.
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adernath wrote: »
    PvP is a totally imbalanced mess, honestly. If you play regularly you will see that roughly 80% of the players are meele. The strongest players I encounter are meele with insane resistances, mobility and damage. There is 0 chance for glasscannon builds to effectively kite these players around mainly because of the spammable critical rush and the easy access to run speed buffs in heavy armor.

I believe that 99% of those players who prefer an open-world kiting PvP (and I am not talking about kiting inside towers, but in plain open field) have already left this game and the forums and so they are not raising their voice here anymore. Furthermore, I really have my doubts that the devs actually seriously play their own game in PvP: I want to see a dev streaming facing one of the tank-meta players in a magicka cloth setup.

What remains are people who believe they are gods but they are just carried by this imbalance -- and mostly empty cyro besides of few hours prime time.

I hope the devs will finally see this problem and take action. For the time being I have cancelled my sub as it seems the only valid way of protest until things go better. It is absolutely not enjoyable anymore.

What's funny is that many content creators (youtubers) play the 2 pay-to-win classes and don't realize that is not all skill - they are getting carried by the class as well. ZOS has created such an imbalance in this game when they introduced the two pay to win classes, and they have not been willing to fix the problem.