The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would you like ZOS to take a break from trying to balance PVP for a few months?

neferpitou73
neferpitou73
✭✭✭✭✭
It's no secret that ZOS has made a number of...controversial changes to PVP the last couple of months. The meta has been upended every three months. My guild mates are getting annoyed having to farm sets every few months to stay viable, I feel bad having to tell them to farm new sets. And I think we're all a little exhausted at the constant 180 degree change every patch. So I ask: Would it be a good idea for ZOS to take a break from balancing PVP for the rest of the year? Let us sit on a meta for a while? Not permanently of course but just to give us all a break.

Would you like ZOS to take a break from trying to balance PVP for a few months? 76 votes

Yes, no more change!
47%
DarcyMardinDrSlaughtrReverbmaxjapankDalsinthusBrrrofskiSanctum74TiphismeekmikoGreasytenguTommy_The_GunMinyassavesselwiththepestleJaimehPog_MahoneWyrd88Bunny_guarFawn4287CirantilleYandereGirlfriend 36 votes
No, I want them to keep trying
34%
Sotha_SilAdernathArwinElo106TwinStripeUKfullheartcontainerSpurius_LuciliusTrinotopsjaws343WildRaptorXcolossalvoidsVizirithQräheShomenuchiFlangdoodleLightYagamiViewsfrom6ixboniboyblueDarian_RathxDeusEJRx 26 votes
Other (please explain)
18%
Joy_DivisionTigorvamp_emilyCelephantsylvius_BornasfinmoDojohodaYthothaTyreal1974xylena_lazarowMKintribkickinchuckythexiihands0medevilCSoseFantasticFreddie 14 votes
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!
    Yes. I hate where balance is, but it only gets worse.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!
    Gameplay right now is fast and unforgiving... And fun as hell. I have 9 pvp characters and each one is enjoyable to play right now. People need to stop taking it so personal that their fake characters fake die. The tankier people are the more boring the game becomes.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally find changing things up every 3 months keeps things fresh. And if you avoid chasing the absolute meta, you can skate right down the middle of the balance changes with only a few changes to setups.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I personally find changing things up every 3 months keeps things fresh. And if you avoid chasing the absolute meta, you can skate right down the middle of the balance changes with only a few changes to setups.

Changing things up would be great if they weren't causing absolute chaos every time. It's a pendulum swinging wildly back and forth when it should be incremental updates.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!

Changing things up would be great if they weren't causing absolute chaos every time. It's a pendulum swinging wildly back and forth when it should be incremental updates.

Yeah. This exactly. I used to look forward to patches because they added new and unique interesting variables to play with. Now, it's just what else am I not going to be able to do? (24man groups, procs, healing outside groups) Or scrapping my current comp and starting over after playing with it for two weeks.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!
    If the current pts changes make it live an entire class will be wiped out and every other class will be made battle tanks (again). That's not balance.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As I said, if people stopped chasing the meta, they'd be fine. But nope, everyone has to eke out that extra 1% dps or mitigation every patch.

Here are the changes, gear wise to my PVP build over the last 3 patches.

Pre-Flames of Ambition:
    Spinners, Alfiq, Engine Guardian

Flames of Ambition:
    Alfiq, Willpower, Ancient Grace, Domi, Swarm Mother.
    Could have kept Spinners here and been fine, but decided aside from the patch changes to swap this. The only patch related change was the monster set.

Blackwood:
    Alfiq, Ancient Grace, Domi, Swarm mother, Trainee, Death Dealers fete.
    Removed willpower added a mythic and a piece of trainee.

Literally none of that involved any forced skills changes.

And next patch, I plan to switch to No Proc, No CP. So my build will probably look like the Flames of Ambition build.

The point is, chasing procs and other sets that get constantly reworked isn't necessary. And none of this was chaos.

Even next patch isn't really chaos. Very few major skill changes. If anything, some of the skill changes will make builds better. Like slotting Revealing flare and using Inner Beast. And gear set wise, the only major changes were adding in new sets and altering some of the lesser used sets. Most of the major sets in the game received no changes. There is literally no reason next patch to NEED to change a build at all, unless you plan to play in no proc or want to try out the new sets.

• xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    WTB 2014 ESO Classic. Cmon, Blizzard did it...
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!

As I said, if people stopped chasing the meta, they'd be fine. But nope, everyone has to eke out that extra 1% dps or mitigation every patch.

Here are the changes, gear wise to my PVP build over the last 3 patches.

Pre-Flames of Ambition:
    Spinners, Alfiq, Engine Guardian

Flames of Ambition:
    Alfiq, Willpower, Ancient Grace, Domi, Swarm Mother.
    Could have kept Spinners here and been fine, but decided aside from the patch changes to swap this. The only patch related change was the monster set.

Blackwood:
    Alfiq, Ancient Grace, Domi, Swarm mother, Trainee, Death Dealers fete.
    Removed willpower added a mythic and a piece of trainee.

Literally none of that involved any forced skills changes.

And next patch, I plan to switch to No Proc, No CP. So my build will probably look like the Flames of Ambition build.

The point is, chasing procs and other sets that get constantly reworked isn't necessary. And none of this was chaos.

Even next patch isn't really chaos. Very few major skill changes. If anything, some of the skill changes will make builds better. Like slotting Revealing flare and using Inner Beast. And gear set wise, the only major changes were adding in new sets and altering some of the lesser used sets. Most of the major sets in the game received no changes. There is literally no reason next patch to NEED to change a build at all, unless you plan to play in no proc or want to try out the new sets.

I don't chase meta. I don't wait for someone to tell me what to run. Instead every time they do these wild swings I'm forced to spend a month+ and a lot of gold figuring out what combo of sets will maintain my performance. But I don't care about time or gold. What I do care about are the game breaking changes currently on pts because mym complaints.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I'm thinking *I* could take a break from PVP and maybe play with housing for a bit. (Who am I kidding, pvp is my fav) ;)
    This sounds interesting. WTB ESO time machine.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!
    Because they have the amazing ability to hit rock bottom but dig further :lol:
  • CSose
    CSose
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I think ZOS gave up on balancing in PvP when they introduced a class that can attack while invisible and gave that same class the most rounded out toolbox in the game. How many years ago was that now?
    Edited by CSose on July 14, 2021 10:22PM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!
    CSose wrote: »
    I think ZOS gave up on balancing in PvP when they introduced a class that can attack while invisible and gave that same class the most rounded out toolbox in the game. How many years ago was that now?

Everyone can attack from stealth.
  • MrMazurski
    MrMazurski
    ✭✭✭

Anyone can do it. What are typical assassins is ESO gives you a lot of tools to fight them anyway. Years ago I played WoW and there, apart from spamming AOE under yourself (which was not very effective anyway), there was no other option. I don't know what the fight looks like right now, but I don't think much will change.
    - Where "Update on Cyrodiil Performance & Upcoming AOE Tests"? I wish ZOS would stop kicking players' balls, especially those on Cyro
    - - PC-EU / Ravenwatch
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!
    MrMazurski wrote: »

Anyone can do it. What are typical assassins is ESO gives you a lot of tools to fight them anyway. Years ago I played WoW and there, apart from spamming AOE under yourself (which was not very effective anyway), there was no other option. I don't know what the fight looks like right now, but I don't think much will change.

We have plenty of tools to stop NBs but people don't either know how to use those tools properly and/or don't want to give anything up to use them.
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!
    The only thing ZOS needs to change in PvP Is making all campaigns faction locked.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, ZOS goes so whole hog on big changes. I can't think of a time period where ZOS could hit the "pause" button and we wouldn't have something major that's unbalanced.

Even with this patch, we're likely to end up with some odd effects from the Battle Spirit and stealth changes and I'd be willing to bet that those group-killer sets are going to need some tweaking to work the way ZOS intends.

Big changes like that usually need some work three months later.
  • ibkickin
    ibkickin
    ✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I wouldn't be for or against them "taking a break" since balance in PvP is impossible. The meta is always changing and balance will remain forever elusive, although I guess a variety of meta would be nice. Feel free to call me bitter as I won't deny it.
    Strength on it's own is directionless, Thirst for battle is helpless, Only when the two join is a mighty warrior born.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It took them years, they did it from scratch and they also have way more developers at their disposal. Not saying ESO Classic wouldn't be nice, but it's just not going to happen.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

It took them years, they did it from scratch and they also have way more developers at their disposal. Not saying ESO Classic wouldn't be nice, but it's just not going to happen.

Yeah. As much as I'd want it to happen? I don't see them doing this given that they've reduced some of the resources to PvP already. I'd rather them just fix what we got as best as they can.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!
    Ganking is a bit ott at the moment, but aside from that, this is the best pvp has been in a while.

Using skills feels impactful and that it actually does damage.

I don't want to go back to endless fights and nobody dying.
  • MKintr
    MKintr
    ✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    Why do you think they even try?
    Those small parameter adjustments are just a distraction and a motivation for more grinding.
    Edited by MKintr on July 15, 2021 11:44AM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I don't main a stamden or stamcro so, no breaks.

Besides it's not so much their attempts at balancing as it is their crazy rule changes and tests that just wind up restricting what where we can play, who we can group with, what we can wear, etc., that are most annoying.
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I don't think there is any point in trying to balance anything until they figure out what js causing the lag and address it.
  • Tigor
    Tigor
    ✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    It is important that pvp will evolve to something, but it is not known into what, since the vision of pvp has not been determent by ZOS yet. Balance sounds strong. Only is that important? I would say. Make your move everyone is watching.
    GM - Decimation Elite - Ebonheart Pact - Ravenwatch EU/PC - aka Tigor (AR50), Leopard Tank (AR50) , Captain-Caveman (AR50), Tigors Claw (AR50), -Bud Spencer (AR38+)
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, no more change!
    ZOS has hated 1vXers for a long time and has done nothing but try to stomp them out until the introduction of CP 2.0 now it seems the only build that will have enough actual raw damage output to even come close to putting out enough damage next patch is a super high damage templar, nothing else has a strong and consistent enough combo to actually burst anyone with the proposed changes. God looks like coldfire siege will be coming in as only realistic solo DPS option and everything else will require a 10 man ulti dump to get kills.
  • chuckythexii
    chuckythexii
    ✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I'd rather see other changes like adding more PvP areas which will help reduce problems of performance and ball groups/zerging by distributing PvP. Like make a new region or even dungeons in existing regions where PvP is allowed and just increase node drops there to entice people to go. Maybe add "borderlands" between opposing faction regions where players of respective factions can go to fight over a point or something.
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    I'm not sure if ZOS knows what to do with the game anymore and I don't know what to expect from ESO anylonger. With every patch I feel more hopeless and playing it becomes more pointless...
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they should stop thinking about balance and focus only performance. Whats the point of balance when the game doesn't even work?

I hate that we get so distracted by the real problem, when ZOS just dangle a few new shiny toys in-front of us.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They're trying to balance PvP?
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB