The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

the launcher doesnt shut down

Iarao
Iarao
✭✭✭✭
i have to do it from the task manager. is this me or zos?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on July 15, 2021 6:22PM
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd imagine that's probably something on your end since mine closes and launches per normal. Quite a strange conundrum indeed, though. Does it do it after a reboot?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it is ZOS. I'm in the same situation and learned here on the forum that I was not alone. Months ago, it was sproradic for me but now it is 100% of the time when starting the game with the launcher. What I do now is start the game for my first session of the day from the launcher - and subsequently close the launcher via task manager. This way I feel comfortable that things can updated as they need to. For the rest of the day though, I bypass the launcher by starting directly from the ESO.exe file.

Edit: PC NA, Windows10, No Steam.

Edited by AcadianPaladin on July 12, 2021 11:23AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The launcher window closes just fine on my PC, but leaves an icon in the quick launch system tray; is that what you mean? If I just move the mouse cursor over the icon without even clicking on it, it goes away.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    The launcher window closes just fine on my PC, but leaves an icon in the quick launch system tray; is that what you mean? If I just move the mouse cursor over the icon without even clicking on it, it goes away.

Mine does that, too.
  • Astiron
    Astiron
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it is ZOS. I'm in the same situation and learned here on the forum that I was not alone. Months ago, it was sproradic for me but now it is 100% of the time when starting the game with the launcher. What I do now is start the game for my first session of the day from the launcher - and subsequently close the launcher via task manager. This way I feel comfortable that things can updated as they need to. For the rest of the day though, I bypass the launcher by starting directly from the ESO.exe file.

I have the same problem too. I only run the launcher when it tells me I can't log in due to an outdated client.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mine does that as well; sometimes I'll build up over a dozen of them if I don't think to open my system tray for a while. Is there a reason this happens, or is it just a ZOS Thing?
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    Mine does that as well; sometimes I'll build up over a dozen of them if I don't think to open my system tray for a while. Is there a reason this happens, or is it just a ZOS Thing?

I don't know why it happens, but I play through Steam, and it isn't really much of a problem for me because I like to go into the system tray anyway and right-click on the Steam launcher to close it down after I'm done playing games, so it's no trouble to just pass the mouse over the ESO icon while I'm doing that.

The GOG and Bethesda (not ESO) launchers are the same way-- they remain in the system tray as background processes after you close their windows, so you can reopen them more quickly. It's a common practice, and not just with game launchers. But the Amazon Games launcher doesn't do that, so it isn't a universal practice.

However, I'm not sure whether that's what the OP was talking about.
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭

no. it stays on my bar. this started after blackwood in june.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you on Windows, macOS, or Linux? (I know there's no Linux version, but I assume people who use Linux can still play ESO if they want to.)
  • Porter_H
    Porter_H
    ✭✭✭
    I am having the same issues when I close the game. I have to restart my computer to open the launcher back up to play since it shows it on the taskbar.

Windows.
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    Porter_H wrote: »
    I am having the same issues when I close the game. I have to restart my computer to open the launcher back up to play since it shows it on the taskbar.

Windows.

deleted. wrong quote
    Edited by Iarao on July 12, 2021 12:26AM
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you on Windows, macOS, or Linux? (I know there's no Linux version, but I assume people who use Linux can still play ESO if they want to.)

win10
  • Shazanti
    Shazanti
    ✭✭✭
    This has happened to me since the very beginning of my playtime in 2014. I don't play via Steam. It has done this through 3 separate installations of the game, on 3 different hard drives, through 2 different versions of Windows (7 and 10). The game starts, and the launcher window remains open in the background and does not minimize. Now I just don't run the launcher unless the game needs to be patched, because that's the only way I can avoid having to alt-tab out and shut the launcher down manually. I figured it was just a (very, very annoying) ZOS thing, because all those years ago the forum folks said that simply not running the launcher except to patch the game was the only way to not have the launcher hanging out like that.

This also happens to my husband, who runs his version of the game through Steam.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sometimes - it happens to me too
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Mine does that, too.

Me as well.
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Log out of toon and go back to character selection, from there click quit and close the log in screen.
    Edited by Roztlin45 on July 12, 2021 1:34AM
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has gone wonky as well
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always have to close it via task manager. [snip]

[edited for conspiracy theory]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 12, 2021 11:34AM
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The launcher doesn't close at all for me, have to kill the process.

Now it is every time, but it seems to vary from update to update, it is definitely a launcher issue and not an issue with peoples PCs.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mine does the same thing. Except when it doesn't - it's kooky - sometimes, after a patch - it won't be an issue anymore - most of the time it is. I have a sneaking suspicion it *might* be a feature of addons and/or the reshade mod that I'm using - but I've mostly given up on trying to fix it, and I just close it in the taskbar
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phermitgb wrote: »
    mine does the same thing. Except when it doesn't - it's kooky - sometimes, after a patch - it won't be an issue anymore - most of the time it is. I have a sneaking suspicion it *might* be a feature of addons and/or the reshade mod that I'm using - but I've mostly given up on trying to fix it, and I just close it in the taskbar

Addons don't and can't interface with the launcher and I haven't reinstalled reshade on this PC. so I doubt it is reshade causing issues either.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iarao wrote: »
    This happened to me too once about few days. But it cannot be killed even via task manager, so i turned pc hard.
    This happens to me since i using Windows 10 with other programs what use icon in systray. Nothing unusual for me.

And about mods... They do not and can't affect the launcher.
    Sometimes I just turn off the launcher right after starting the game.
    Edited by davidtk on July 12, 2021 11:02AM
    Really sorry for my english
  • KovalskyNestor
    KovalskyNestor
    ✭✭✭
    This happens to me If I close the launcher on windows (right clicking the icon on task bar and then press close window). Then when you try to close the launcher on its own "X" button it gets stuck.. so I have to use task manager to get rid of the launcher.
  • OnnuK
    OnnuK
    ✭✭✭
    same problem. Something is messing up with steam and ESO launcer. If you give the admin privilage to the launcher, it asks username password which means ignoring the steam connection. task kill is the only way to close the launcher.
    PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"
  • yeey
    yeey
    ✭✭
    This happens to me If I close the launcher on windows (right clicking the icon on task bar and then press close window). Then when you try to close the launcher on its own "X" button it gets stuck.. so I have to use task manager to get rid of the launcher.

Me to.
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happens to me also PC NA, Windows 10. I also find sometimes I have to start the launcher multiple times before it actually works. It gets stuck. I've done every fix possible for the launcher not loading properly. This started happening after the Blackwood release.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you not shutdown or restart your system? I shutdown my system every day... have for years. I don't trust Windows ability to manage memory leaks no matter what they say, so I never leave it on for long periods without either restarting or shutting down, especially if I'm not going to be home.

As for my experience with the launcher, I never use it except when it needs to be patched, otherwise I just launch from the .exe.
    Edited by ADarklore on July 12, 2021 11:47AM
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    davidtk wrote: »
    Iarao wrote: »
    This happened to me too once about few days. But it cannot be killed even via task manager, so i turned pc hard.
    ADarklore wrote: »

Do you not shutdown or restart your system? I shutdown my system every day... have for years. I don't trust Windows ability to manage memory leaks no matter what they say, so I never leave it on for long periods without either restarting or shutting down, especially if I'm not going to be home.

As for my experience with the launcher, I never use it except when it needs to be patched, otherwise I just launch from the .exe.

i sometimes do restart my computer. maybe i should do it more often, but i have read that if you have an ssd, you shouldnt do it all the time? something about wear and tear.
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happens to me about 75% of the time that I close the launcher. It's been that way for probably 6 months or so. It's not my machine... and for how often I hear about this issue on the forums or Reddit, I'm surprised it has been ignored this much. Hardly game-breaking though, as I always have task manager open ready to kill it lol.
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

this seems to have worked for now. tyty.
This discussion has been closed.