The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fighting templars in PvP

Xelyum
Xelyum
✭✭✭
How do you fight templars in PvP ? Every time I fight them, it feels like lags occur where my skills don't activate (I can move freely), I can't see the enemy use Biting jabs or puncturing sweep, blocking and healing doesn't seem to help, and then I die.

Is there a trick to fighting templars ?
  • shrekt4303
    shrekt4303
    ✭✭
    If your spamming dodge roll it can feel like that. Keep distance and dont try to trade blows in melee 1v1. They cant 1vx well if stam. You can also try walking into them to get out of line of sight of jabs
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Invest in snare removal and movement speed. Block when they toppling charge.
    Sidestep the jabs.
    You'll never have a problem with Templars again.
    (A stamplar main)
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there are lags for both of you, trust me, it hits templars harder. Jabs are not targeted, thus any position errors will make all the jabs miss, even if you see the opponent right in front of you.
    Edited by divnyi on July 28, 2021 11:39AM
  • Mitaka211
    Mitaka211
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any high mobility skill like race against time , and a skill that gives you major evasion will destroy the templars offensive ability. Jabs is a really laggy skill, any side walking can cause it to miss half the strikes and it is one of the spamables that can get mitigated the most when it comes to damage reduction. With the right buffs and debuffs you can bring down the jabs to hitting like wet noodle.
    Templars are really really strong 1v1 and 1vX , because they can melt an unprepared player in seconds and most of their damage is aoe. The thing about them is that most of the things you need to counter them are already a must for pvp anyways. Pretty much I feel like e noobstomper on my stamplar, people don't know how to fight us to such an extend that I am honestly surprised if I don't kill someone the moment I jump on him. In the end of the day it's about what situations your character is prepared for and how many counters he has. Right now templars are triving because everyone is running around in medium or light full damage builds, so it is imposible to survive anything let alone a stamplar jabbing their face.

Major Defile + Race Against Time + Major Evasion is a guaranteed win against most templars, you are basically deleting everything he has.
  • Arbiter7070
    Arbiter7070
    ✭✭✭
    Play stamcro. Use shuffle. You win.
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stun the jabber and go offensive.
    A reliable stun (fear, fossilize, streak, even reverberating bash) can turn the tables against a templar.
  • Vizirith
    Vizirith
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slot major evasion best and easiest counter to both mag and stamplars. On the toons running major evasion have yet to die to a templar.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed.. templars are hard countered by major evasion
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the 5 people here posting are the 5 people I die to when I PvP on my stamplar, lol. Everything they said is right.

If you can out-sustain as well, you win. Stamplar gains a lot of stam back after kills.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amerises wrote: »
    I think the 5 people here posting are the 5 people I die to when I PvP on my stamplar, lol. Everything they said is right.

If you can out-sustain as well, you win. Stamplar gains a lot of stam back after kills.

I haven't used repentance in many patches. I don't see barely any other stamplar using it either. Hp sustain is crap in PvP now. You typically don't have very high mag sustain so the only real benefit to slotting it is minor endurance (which you get from rally) and the stam + hp back after a kill. So not worth it, most stamplars feel.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xelyum wrote: »
    Is there a trick to fighting templars ?

In the past I had major issues fighting templars until I discovered mitigation with some healing makes them a non-issue.
    PC NA
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shrekt4303 wrote: »
    If your spamming dodge roll it can feel like that. Keep distance and dont try to trade blows in melee 1v1. They cant 1vx well if stam. You can also try walking into them to get out of line of sight of jabs

Flurry / Bloodthirsty paired with Stam Sorcs crit surge used to counter that from 2015 to 2018. But that counterplay got gutted, because paired with VMA dw you could do more damage " Single Target " and heal more. Now there's a cap on things. Lol The devs broke the game due to bias in the community.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone suggested further up walk or jump through through them is the key to surviving, they are strong 1v1 and toppling charge is very annoying whilst outnumbered however so make sure you manage resources well because their burst is strong and getting stronger. Generally the best time to hit them is when they go on the offence try to outheal the dawny/sweep and counter quickly, most templars are only kitted out for backbar survival and lack any decent heal on their frontbar.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major evasion
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds