The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Upgrade the servers

slimwaffle
slimwaffle
✭✭✭
Upgrade the servers please.
This game is a laggy mess on the best of days. But during events it can't even stay connected.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is pretty bad...

Was TPing around in a BG and my Dungeon run last night was upwards of a full second delayed with input.

Edit: I know how much Addons can affect performance so I usually turn off everyone except 3-4 most needed while the other 30+ addons are off when I do PvP or Vet Content.
    I also usually play with 60+ fps on high or extreme but know how much PvP and Trials affect performance so I put graphics down to low or minimum to get the best performance possible.

Even then... It has been rough.
    Edited by Grandchamp1989 on June 30, 2021 12:25PM
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's your latency?
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem is most likely unoptimized code. Upgrading the servers would be like putting a soiled rag over an open wound. It's not really going to fix the problem long term.
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    35 fps in Vivec with a 3080.

Neat ....
    Edited by Vanzen on June 30, 2021 10:36AM
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Servers are great not primetime midyear. During primetime even the midyear servers cant handle it sadly :(
    Vanzen wrote: »
    35 fps in Vivec with a 3080.

Neat ....

FPS is not the servers though

• slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    What's your latency?

The stat meters in this game lie to you. It will tell you perfect 60fps (with vsync on) and 250ms.
    But play like its on 10 fps and 800ms.
    The messed up part is that is not even an exaggeration during an event.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    slimwaffle wrote: »
    What's your latency?

The stat meters in this game lie to you. It will tell you perfect 60fps (with vsync on) and 250ms.
    But play like its on 10 fps and 800ms.
    The messed up part is that is not even an exaggeration during an event.

But any game these days is now expected to drop frames in times of high stress. Yes servers are being replaced but optimizing coding is more important.

Last night in Cyrodiil I saw basically 75% of Gray Host fight over a single keep for probably an hour straight. Few experienced crashes, many experienced lag. This was entirely expected when siege was basically maxed out for all three factions and focused on a centralized area within the keep. In this case one entire faction was on the interior front door and the other faction was on an interior side while the defenders were responding from both fronts.

Expecting 60FPS or even close to 30FPS without lag just seems absurd for any game in such conditions.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ping meter has changed, we've all noticed it in my group in PvP. 160 ping feels like 300...etc...30 FPS is current and lower during fights with animations and about 90-100 standing still. I have a GTx960 4g, which I'll have to change this year either way.

Cyro is far too laggy, but we've been on about this for ages. They still haven't addressed the issue of multiple characters casting skills at the same time and when you meet these groups you'll begin to have a delay of 0.5 seconds to even 1 second in your skill deployment. I asked a ballgroup leader to leave an overcrowded fort about two weeks ago on No CP PvP PC EU and he wrote 'Yes we are leaving, no problem'....the ping went immediately down. Thank you to this guy who realised everyone was lagging out them included, but this isn't normal is it..we shouldn't have to ask people to 'please leave so I can play'.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This year we were promised new servers. But no announcement. It is also possible that the game is already on new servers. People said that the IP servers have changed.
    PC/EU
  • ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Problem is most likely unoptimized code. Upgrading the servers would be like putting a soiled rag over an open wound. It's not really going to fix the problem long term.

Then they need to fix the code. Simple as that. Yes it simple as that I'm no armchair dev or anything but money shouldn't be an issue with the way people spend on this game. Microsoft owns them also. There's no excuese. Where's my money going?
    Edited by ClawOfTheTwoMoons on June 30, 2021 4:07PM
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

Then they need to fix the code. Simple as that. Yes it simple as that I'm no armchair dev or anything but money shouldn't be an issue with the way people spend on this game. Microsoft owns them also. There's no excuese. Where's my money going?

"Where's my money going?"
    This yes this. Exactly.
  • bennysbeastb16_ESO2
    Tbh it's to do with the servers sending you 0.5mb download speed and with so much stuff going on in sieges, the amount of data going on, the speed isnt enough, you can check this yourself, doesnt matter if ur stood in town, running battle ground you never get above 0.5mb, this is what the main cause of lag in sieges and never in other content, if ur suffering from stuttering on trials that will most likely be your fps, theirs plenty of tools including task Manager that will show your download speed,
    *** Intel Core i9-7940x ***
    *** MSI Ventus 2080TI ***
    *** 32 GB DDR4 2400Mhz ***
    *** Creative Zxr Soundcard ***
    ***2TB M2 nvme SSD ***
    *** Corsair 1200W PSU***
    *** Windows 10 x64 ***
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This comes up a lot and rightly so. The performance is totally unacceptable from a game this size. With the large income it undoubtedly generates. It used to be bad, but update 25 came along the begining of 2020 with changes for stadia and it has been atrocious since. Performance issues were mainly isolated in cyrodill now you can't avoid it anywhere.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But wait, you're all wrong. They beef up the servers during mid year mayhem so Cyro runs flawlessly. It's only laggy when mid year mayhem is over. Ask anyone they will tell you. /s off
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is pretty bad...

Was TPing around in a BG and my Dungeon run last night was upwards of a full second delayed with input.

Edit: I know how much Addons can affect performance so I usually turn off everyone except 3-4 most needed while the other 30+ addons are off when I do PvP or Vet Content.
    I also usually play with 60+ fps on high or extreme but know how much PvP and Trials affect performance so I put graphics down to low or minimum to get the best performance possible.

Even then... It has been rough.

Same here.

Used to, I only had significant lag in Cyrodil when it got crowded. But lately it's been creeping into battlegrounds as well. Things are definitely getting worse not better when it comes to performance.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's getting out of hand now....

It's very frustating, Zos. You provide events in a sub based game and well..it's utterly broken and shouldn't even be proposed or a re-thought of business practices should come into play...I mean I'm embarrassed to even propose group play in PvP as I disband the group as leader and tell everyone 'good night' at 9pm.

We don't see a bright future, because they aren't talking about it or proposing anything. All we here is 'if people keep playing we'll keep it up'...I think it's the end (personal opinion)
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on June 30, 2021 7:30PM
  • Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt its the servers. Prob more the the usa's old network infrastructure.

Or on second thought maybe poorly optimized network routing? 🤔 🤷‍♂️
    Edited by Folkb on June 30, 2021 7:39PM
  • Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭
    lag can be a combination of many things.

I am DevOps at a major US airline. Portions of our software is developed by 3rd party vendors and our own developers. We have software for...
    • planning aircraft maintenance
    • planning delivery of parts future maintenance
    • Services that are associated with aircraft
    • Compliance for aircraft to safely fly specific distances and greater (think Hawaii and international)
    • Calculating compliance with empty weight. (We even need to know the weight of the paint, flying wears off the paint)
    • And there is a lot more that I am not involved in or even aware of

All of this together is a mess that needs to be managed and all of these services and applications are integrated. There will inherently be bottlenecks with parts of this. This is similar with MMOs, maybe not as extensive. You're going to have databases with countless tables. You'll have VMs that manage different zones and spin up multiple instances. You need your character to be able to navigate around these difference instances and not leave a copy of that character in a previous one. You need a system in place to monitor for cheating, which a lot is client side, but server side is still a risk as well. Health monitoring systems is a must. You can't only rely on a Grafana dash board, there needs to be an incident management system in place that alerts developers. Customer service agents need a system in place where they have limited access to see active account and character information. You have Global Traffic Mangers(GTM/DNS) and Local Traffic Managers(LTM/VIP) to configured. Services need to know at they have access to all the LTM's.

I haven't developed an MMO and I have no desire to be in the game industry, but after seeing the chaos I'm involved with daily, I can easily see an MMO being it's own form of chaos. All of this can cause potential lag and bottlenecks in the system. As much as I'd like to say "upgrade servers" it's highly likely that won't make a bit of a difference.