The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP Struggles

• JayKwellen
    JayKwellen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    KennyAr wrote: »
    PVP above 50 is all about gears to me. So you need to first farm a set of top gears and avoid PVP at all before that.

PVP = gear, gear, and gear.
    I agree in so far as I wouldn't PvP without a proper PvP build. That said, I think PvP is 70% about experience. Maybe more.

Definitely. You still need a solid build and appropriate pvp skills on your bar, but in the end the player is what makes the difference. The narrower the skill gap between two people the more important gear becomes. Inversely, the wider that gap the less it matters.

I watched a video a while back of a rather well known 1vXer who was bet he couldn't get a good X while wearing awful gear. I can't remember what the gear was but it was some literal meme gear like adept rider or light hundings or something.

And of course he then went out, found a group, and proceeded to X them without too much difficulty.

Some people are just really good at this game. When the skill gap between two people is that large it doesn't matter if one guy is in golded meta gear and the other in golded rubedo leather - the better player is still going to win.
    Xbox NA - JaeKwellen
    AD PvP
    Trying to main a magcro. This is awful.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just main a stamcro or stamden.
    With the right build, even noobs play in godmode with those toons. Probably might die a bit in beginning but you will soon enough start 1vx'ing anything around you. If the meta changes hop on that toon which is busted again to retain your superiority

Edited by PhoenixGrey on July 1, 2021 4:27PM
  • Afterip
    Afterip
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny that stamden and stamkro are almost the top of the food chain in pvp, while magden and magcro are almost at the very bottom.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first started doing PvP, it was only for daily Battlegrounds or for specific tasks/gear out in Cyrodil. Now, I've been trying to dive in more and enjoy the PvP experience.

I AM STRUGGLING

I'm asking for a bit of (non-toxic) help in figuring out where I'm lacking and where I need to focus my time and start a discussion on what works for you in PvP personally.

I've got a couple different characters that I've tried playing with. I have followed guided builds and tried my own on each of them. Nothing is seeming to work. So, I'm needing to take a step back and figure out a better use of my time while playing.
    I can't figure out if its issues with my weapons and armor, skills rotation, CP allocation, or just connection/lag. No matter what I try, it seems I can't figure out why I'm being destroyed in every fight. I even have problems just surviving in fights when I'm not trying to practice damage. I do alright when I'm with a small group but am undoubtedly the weakest link. You can't always find a good, enjoyable group to play with either so I want to get better solo.
    My biggest frustration seems to be that in comparison with people that come through, get a stun on me, and by the time I Breakfree and that animation is done, the other player has gotten a heavy attack, and 2-3 skills, for 5k+ damage a piece. While on the other hand, if I get the jump on someone, I get a light attack and one skill before they've dodge rolled out and are healing back to full health with CC immunity. It's even worse when its a tank setup that doesn't even have to breakfree from me and I can't get their health down through their self-heals.
    I can't imagine that all the times that it seems like lag that it actually is, and that no one else is as affected by it like me.

A little about my setup: I am CP 450. My gear is all epic quality with select enchantments on each. For my main character, Magicka Templar, I am a Breton, I wear light armor Law of Julianos, Light of Cyrodil, and heavy Mother Ciannatt/Icebreaker (I've also tried Valkyn Skoria for damage instead of damage shield) Majority of them with Divines Trait, but a couple impenetrables. Atronach mundus stone. Attributes: 54 M 10 H 0 S. Dual wield and shock staff.

Should I focus my time purely on getting my CP up? Should I instead spend the time and money getting materials to improve my gear? Yes, I know that both of these will obviously help, but I've so far refused to believe that I can't at least compete in PvP without being fully maxed out from the start. Should I work on trusting my skills rotation more, as in, not waiting for the visual animations and prehitting my skills? Should I get all new gear? Respec my attribute points? Learn to trust blocking more than rolling and move to S&B?

I'd like to hear thoughts.
    Keep the "Just get out of our queues already and stop holding up the real players" or "just get gud", "get better" comments out of here.

I'm over cp 1400 and basically welcome to the club. I'm still getting destroyed. Ever get a "triple double" before? Double digit kills, deaths, and assists. I did once or twice. Lol

You can build really defensively and start making adjustments from there. Most people I see wear Pariah and are vampire stage 3. I may give in to this cursed meta and do the same on one of my characters.

You need to address mobility. If you can't take damage, run from it.

Don't fight in the open like an idiot, like me.

NEVER continue a fight if your defensive buffs drop. Back off and buff up.

Use poisons because it's just as important to debuff your opponents as it is to buff yourself up. Use potions that drain health, magicka, or stamina while restoring resources to you. Check this site out http://benevolentbowd.ca/games/esotu/esotu-alchemy-poisons-with-three-ingredients/

You should have a way to stun people to keep them from recovering. For instance, with my dragon knight, I prefer to apply my dots before I fossilize the opponent so that those dots can't get purged off for a few seconds. Then I hit them with spammables. Instinctively, I was doing it in the opposite order.

Learn patterns in people's behavior so that you can predict how they will attack you. With Stamdens, recognize them going for a Shalks+Dawnbreaker combo. Get out of the way. Be elusive.

Yeah, proc sets do play a big part in it even though I didn't start off talking about them. But outplaying someone who has learned to crutch on a proc set can still give you the W. That said, some sets are just too strong and you will lose against those builds no matter what mechanics you are careful to use.

I mean, I'm still learning. It all comes with experience. Still, so many times I want to quit this game because I being pigeonholed into a certain build. My CHARACTER matters to me. You just have to learn to accept that your losses might vastly outnumber your wins and still enjoy your character.

• Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first started doing PvP, it was only for daily Battlegrounds or for specific tasks/gear out in Cyrodil. Now, I've been trying to dive in more and enjoy the PvP experience.

I AM STRUGGLING

I'm asking for a bit of (non-toxic) help in figuring out where I'm lacking and where I need to focus my time and start a discussion on what works for you in PvP personally.

I've got a couple different characters that I've tried playing with. I have followed guided builds and tried my own on each of them. Nothing is seeming to work. So, I'm needing to take a step back and figure out a better use of my time while playing.
    I can't figure out if its issues with my weapons and armor, skills rotation, CP allocation, or just connection/lag. No matter what I try, it seems I can't figure out why I'm being destroyed in every fight. I even have problems just surviving in fights when I'm not trying to practice damage. I do alright when I'm with a small group but am undoubtedly the weakest link. You can't always find a good, enjoyable group to play with either so I want to get better solo.
    My biggest frustration seems to be that in comparison with people that come through, get a stun on me, and by the time I Breakfree and that animation is done, the other player has gotten a heavy attack, and 2-3 skills, for 5k+ damage a piece. While on the other hand, if I get the jump on someone, I get a light attack and one skill before they've dodge rolled out and are healing back to full health with CC immunity. It's even worse when its a tank setup that doesn't even have to breakfree from me and I can't get their health down through their self-heals.
    I can't imagine that all the times that it seems like lag that it actually is, and that no one else is as affected by it like me.

A little about my setup: I am CP 450. My gear is all epic quality with select enchantments on each. For my main character, Magicka Templar, I am a Breton, I wear light armor Law of Julianos, Light of Cyrodil, and heavy Mother Ciannatt/Icebreaker (I've also tried Valkyn Skoria for damage instead of damage shield) Majority of them with Divines Trait, but a couple impenetrables. Atronach mundus stone. Attributes: 54 M 10 H 0 S. Dual wield and shock staff.

Should I focus my time purely on getting my CP up? Should I instead spend the time and money getting materials to improve my gear? Yes, I know that both of these will obviously help, but I've so far refused to believe that I can't at least compete in PvP without being fully maxed out from the start. Should I work on trusting my skills rotation more, as in, not waiting for the visual animations and prehitting my skills? Should I get all new gear? Respec my attribute points? Learn to trust blocking more than rolling and move to S&B?

I'd like to hear thoughts.
    Keep the "Just get out of our queues already and stop holding up the real players" or "just get gud", "get better" comments out of here.

There's some good advice mixed in with some 'git gud' stuff here but here's some advice that might help. Obviously find a PVP type build that fits for your playstyle, as some has mentioned here. Also:

1. the first thing I think most people face is the FREAK out when a real person and not a predictable AI monster is attacking them, it took me a while and sometimes I still freak out, until you have conquered that and can actually see what's happening and react accordingly you're at a huge disadvantage, best thing for starting out is build tanky, use only 1 spammable and 1 execute (everything else heals, (de)buffs, and a purge) to keep is simple as possible at first, and don't take killing or being killed a lot personally (in between any fight don't just stand there have all your buffs up and running and keep them running the whole time, in BGs especially, because you don't know when someone will jump you, and if you are initiating the attack it is just plain stupid not to buff up first, including pop pot see #2)

2. second and probably most important and under rated thing, POTIONS, these things are OP af, ALWAYS ALWAYS have a tri-stat or immovable pot running before you get into a fight, don't be like me for a long time and think oh i'll just use a health pot when I need health, 1st the pots DO NOT FIRE OFF in the heat of battle it is buggy as hell or something but it is broken, and 2nd the pot effect that you WANT is NOT the instant STAT boost, it is the MASSIVE RECOVERY BOOST, I can't tell you how many times I have been in PVP usually BGs and just barely died then realized I didn't have POT running, and 1v1 or 1v2 the same people with tristat pot running and that made ALL THE DIFFERENCE to beat them, it is no joke, and it is situational but an immovable pot just before doing something like grabbing a relic is insanely powerful

3. some people also use poisons on their weapons, there are some that actually hinder enemy, drain mag/stam and also give you immovable buff at the same time, it seems weird but managing resources is more important in a close fight than almost anything else so having recovery buff, draining enemy stats and using heavy attacks whenever possible, makes a huge difference, one main reason is that break free costs so much and if you don't have stam to do it you are probably dead, I think after a little while you get a 6th sense about when someone is going to do a big hit or CC and a roll dodge now and then is amazingly effective, oh also don't try to heavy attack when you are toe to toe fighting unless they're cc'd, hold the heavy while you are closing in or while someone is coming toward you so it hits just as they are close enough, sometimes it is good to roll thru someone trying to hit you with a heavy like this

4. one more thing, keep in mind whenever you get to about 30% health everybody on the screen will be trying to get a cheap execute on you so you want to be healing yourself BEFORE you drop to 50%, never drop below 50% and you'll avoid the cheesy execute spammers, also related to this make sure you have 29K health minimum to instantly avoid being the target of and survive most gankers, can't tell you how many times (mostly in IC because gankers are pretty usesless in BGs) I've been with a group that gets bombed and like 10 people dead and I just jump on the ganker and kill him in like 2 seconds, I used to be worried about gankers but now I kill them almost as fast as they used to kill me