The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Gaze of Sithis?

MurderMostFoul
MurderMostFoul
✭✭✭✭✭
Obviously gaze of sithis was (appropriately) nerfed hard during PTS. But I still feel like the item has some PvP potential.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried it live in PvP and thought it was any good? I've not seen to much attention on this item since Blackwood launched. Anyone having success with it in PvP? Or have you tried it and felt like it's trash?
“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    *shrug* still farming for it.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally run medium armor builds and don't block much, so it seemed perfect for me. On my stamplar I'm sitting at around 33k resistances, 2.3k health regen (useless in pvp) and 29k health in medium, which is pretty huge. I paired it with Pariah for even more sturdiness and Stuhn's for some damage (has a nice synergy with toppling charge). Loving it so far.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had some minimal use of it in PVP since getting it. Just an occasional BG in my PVE setup. It definitely upped survivability in all divines gear. Looking forward to trying it out in a full PVP build during Midyear Mayhem.
    Options
  • NoxiousBlight
    NoxiousBlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been using it. It isn't bad.

Allows me to run all medium instead of some heavy and still stay a bit tanky. Looking forward to trying it in 5 light/2 heavy on a mag build soon.

With the state of PVP right now blocking is difficult and not reliable, so just ignoring the mechanic and getting a nice bonus for it seems to be working out better for me.

Honestly it seems like the most balanced mythic for PVP out of all of them. You give up a monster helm and the ability to run something like malacath, but in return you can build more offensively without just getting melted.
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used it in PvP and it is pretty "meh" at best. Mostly because if you use it on medium / light armor build, it boost your defences by very little. Almost as if it was not there. You do not feel like you have a mythical gear. On the other hand, if you use it on heavy armor build and stack defensive stats... it is still inferior to other mythics. You might as well use protective jewellery & defensive glyphs + other mythic and it is way better.

Gaze of Sithis feels more like a glorified food buff than a mythic. I mean it is just a raw stats buff with a penalty (no block mitigation), that was supposed to be a cool unique effect (15 % dng mitigation buff), but it did not delivered.

Best defensive mythic so far is the wild hunt ring. With it, you can often avoid taking damage in a 1st place...
    Options
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best defensive mythic so far is the wild hunt ring. With it, you can often avoid taking damage in a 1st place...

It avoids gap closers and mag sorcs? Truly wonderful.
    Options
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like it a lot so far on my StamSorc. I expect it would be really nice on a MagSorc or NB as well.
    Options
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I switched to Gaze of Sithis for magsorc BG because there is no way to survive against brawlers this patch. Malcolm agrees with me.

Magsorc just can't keep up even with shield stacking. 50k+ resist anti pen build is the only option and every day I get players asking what my build is.
    PC NA
    Options
  • Raeyleigh
    Raeyleigh
    ✭✭✭
    Its a good mythic. I have made good use of it on my stamsorc and stamplar and it will probably go onto my magblade next. The thought process goes somewhat like:
    Is there a more important mythic i need?
    Is there a more important monster helm i need?
    Does my build rely on blocking regularly?
    If thats 3 no's you can go for sithis.

I dislike the current bis monster helm trio (balorgh, engine guardian, malubeth) because they dont fit my playstyle on these classes well. I also tested zoal in comparison already, but its less reliable in some situations.
    As for mythics wild hunt can be replaced by swift jewels, building sustain on torc is uncomfortable and malacath is a sidegrade at best on said classes.
    So its sithis. It allows me to get the minimum tankiness requirement and then built very offensive on the rest of my gear. It works well.

I do however occasionaly still kill myself becasue i try to blockcast a few things in dangerous situations. Some skills like jesus beam, soul assault, toxic barrage or meteor have also become exponentially more deadly.
    Options
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its not very good since it takes up a monster helm and mythic for it. also health recovery sucks.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
    Options
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve used it. It’s really bad as far as I’m concerned. Loss of block mitigation is too much. Perhaps if it lessened block mitigation by 15% instead of 50, since it only adds about 6% mitigation from resistances.
    Options
  • angelofdeath333
    angelofdeath333
    ✭✭✭
    Its a perfectly balanced set, really! You cant use a full monster set like People already mentioned, but it gives back alot of the mitigation we lost in CP 2.0. you can reach reasonable health recovery in combination with a food/drink that gives you health regen, i can reach 1100 health regen with just food and that Helmet in cyro. 1100 helps alot but isnt too much either. And the fact that you cant mitigate damage through blocking makes it a less appealing option for straight out tanks. Its Good but the drawbacks makes it balanced.
    Options
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I generally run medium armor builds and don't block much, so it seemed perfect for me. On my stamplar I'm sitting at around 33k resistances, 2.3k health regen (useless in pvp) and 29k health in medium, which is pretty huge. I paired it with Pariah for even more sturdiness and Stuhn's for some damage (has a nice synergy with toppling charge). Loving it so far.

Gaze and Pariah are META for players that are awake this patch, so you are doing good...lol

In the initial PTS version, using that setup made you impossible to kill, and PvE variants that could solo vet trials were fairly easy to create...
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To follow up on how much I like this mythic for PVE. Just got my first Flawless Conqueror run using it. The poison round is definitely rng and extreme luck most of the time. But I felt less vulnerable throughout every other round than I did with Pale Order on.
    Options
  • DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run it on my Werewolf with Stuhns, and Juggernaut. Its been fun!
    PC NA - EP's Greatest Support
    Options
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It pairs well with a well-fitted setup, being a little rolly-polly in PvP. Gaze plus Buffer of Swift/Pariah still feels very strong even without block mitigation. For all the stuff you have to eat there's Gaze of Sithis, for everything else there's roll dodging.
    Options
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You gain health/armor and lose massive penetration.

Balorgh is the opposite meta that is driving defense-prone players to Sithis as they try to counter the offense-prone players.
    Edited by katorga on June 24, 2021 4:00PM
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farmed it for my mag sorc, couldn't ditch it fast enough. I think the PTS nerf hammer was too large, not that it surprises me. Sure it might have been over tuned out of the gate, but one thing I have learned is that ZOS lacks subtlety when it comes to balance.

I play a roll sorc. I think this set looks great on paper. Afterall, sorcs dont need to block when shielded, and as a roll sorc, that is usually a better option than a block if my shields drop. This may work well in BGs or Duels where the lag is typically a lot less, but in open world PVP, I was not a fan. The second you get a lag spike and cant get your shields to go, that 0 block mitigation comes into play in a hurry.

I think if defense is your goal, there are monster sets as an alternative that are just as compelling. Personally, I think ring of the hunt is a better option defensively, as speed is defense with LOS. Not too mention, I love playing at the speed cap. I think meta is going to be Death Dealers Fete, as it really is both offense and defense. I will let you know if that stupid DSA lead ever drops. I think I blew all my dungeon RNG on Sithis and that darn Kilt.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farmed it for my mag sorc, couldn't ditch it fast enough. I think the PTS nerf hammer was too large, not that it surprises me. Sure it might have been over tuned out of the gate, but one thing I have learned is that ZOS lacks subtlety when it comes to balance.

I play a roll sorc. I think this set looks great on paper. Afterall, sorcs dont need to block when shielded, and as a roll sorc, that is usually a better option than a block if my shields drop. This may work well in BGs or Duels where the lag is typically a lot less, but in open world PVP, I was not a fan. The second you get a lag spike and cant get your shields to go, that 0 block mitigation comes into play in a hurry.

I think if defense is your goal, there are monster sets as an alternative that are just as compelling. Personally, I think ring of the hunt is a better option defensively, as speed is defense with LOS. Not too mention, I love playing at the speed cap. I think meta is going to be Death Dealers Fete, as it really is both offense and defense. I will let you know if that stupid DSA lead ever drops. I think I blew all my dungeon RNG on Sithis and that darn Kilt.

I wonder if a better medium for Sithis would be to double the current values, but remove the health regen altogether. 8K armor, 6K health, no block mitigation.
    Options
  • shrekt4303
    shrekt4303
    ✭✭
    Sithis is useful for medium armor builds running double dps sets with well fitted. Could also see certain mag classes using it. In bgs it helps you reach the 30k hp threshold without giving up stats in other places. Its not op but its a solid alternative to monster sets.
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

I wonder if a better medium for Sithis would be to double the current values, but remove the health regen altogether. 8K armor, 6K health, no block mitigation.

Since they halved health regen in battle spirit, it became pretty useless IMO. The no block is definitely an interesting concept, but the current benefits of this set simply don’t outweigh the drawbacks. I don’t pretend to know what the appropriate values would be, but I know currently I have no plans to use this set. I was pretty excited for it early on.
    Options
  • hundergrn
    hundergrn
    ✭✭✭
    As most have said, it is good on Med Armor builds that tend to not have much going for resistance/defense. Dual DMG sets benefit from it and the loss of a Monster Set piece isn't much of a loss above 50% and can keep you in the fight longer during a BG and have a team of Sorc/Templars desync spamming 2 moves against everything they encounter.

Health Recovery on it is a wasted stat tbf and Dual DMG set build tend to have sustain problems so that extra resistance/armor buys you an extra second or two till your next potion is ready in a longer fight.

For solo pve it makes soloing world bosses rather simple. Med users tend to roll for channeled hits and aoes anyway so blocking isn't really needed. Practically allows face tanking while you focus on rotation and sustain.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since they halved health regen in battle spirit, it became pretty useless IMO. The no block is definitely an interesting concept, but the current benefits of this set simply don’t outweigh the drawbacks. I don’t pretend to know what the appropriate values would be, but I know currently I have no plans to use this set. I was pretty excited for it early on.

Gotta say, dropped this and put on Death Dealers Fete and it's crazy how good it is. Provides the most stat dense 1 piece at full stacks. Allows use of monster set. Has zero negatives. I think I even like it over Malacath. And in cyro fights, those stacks stay above 20 most of the time since battles usually last much longer than a minute and you are in combat most of the time.
    Options
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on your build. I run it on a stamblade with 2 dmg sets, and I now block less and roll more on the stamblade as a result. It definitely provides much more survivability.

I also run it on my stamsorc, but I'm running a pressure based build on stamsorc that uses dots + azureblight + flurry spam. This build requires being on your target in a sustained manner, and you can't really mix in blocking, so I find that it works well on this build.

If you are running other builds that dont have either this sort of sustained pressure or evasive defense, and blocking is more required, than I can see Gaze of Sithis not being worth it. The health recovery nerf definitely made this item mostly a health and armor buff.
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta say, dropped this and put on Death Dealers Fete and it's crazy how good it is. Provides the most stat dense 1 piece at full stacks. Allows use of monster set. Has zero negatives. I think I even like it over Malacath. And in cyro fights, those stacks stay above 20 most of the time since battles usually last much longer than a minute and you are in combat most of the time.

That stupid lead does not want to drop from DSA for me. I agree, it's best in slot for a mythic right now.
    Options
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the people who replied. Good to hear people are finding it useful, but obviously not OP.

I finally decided to get it. Verdict: it's not for me. I play rolly, mobile stam toons, and don't use block a lot. But apparently I still block enough to seriously notice the loss of block mitigation. I just found myself getting blown up way too often with GoS equiped.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
    Options
  • TTHHORR
    TTHHORR
    ✭✭✭
    I was skeptical at first but I just remade my Stam Sorc to use Gaze, Pariah and Clever and I'm completely in love. For the first time I'm 1vX'ing people left and right in IC and BGs. 18.5k Mag, 37k Health (34k in BG), 30k Stam, 33.5k resistances, 12k pen and 4.5k damage. Tanky and mobile while being able to do good damage. Had to sacrifice stam sustain but I get by by streaking into dark deals.

Worst part is I sometimes panic and still try to block lol
    Options