The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Share your tips for creating the perfect characters

Necrosaro_123
Necrosaro_123
✭✭✭
Hi guys,

I'm actually looking for your opinions, about what kind of tips can you share on creating your favorite race. For example: From the character creation menu, for the body and face, What kind of tips can you share for that perfect look?

So far, i have notice, that the most difficult race to create more unique looking faces are the Female Nord and Female Bosmer. It looks like everyone looks the same. It would be amazing if you could share some tips for each race and how to get the best look.
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Nord women are difficult to get "right", at least for my taste. Their faces tend to end up either too pudgy and like an overgrown child, or too masculine on the other extreme. I have found after tinkering with my Nord lady's looks that for my taste (feminine enough, but at the same time a bit tough and looking like she could be a fighter) it's best to stick to the "angular" corner of the face triangle. Also, to avoid the stereotyped look any other hair colour than blonde is advisable. Face markings like freckles and scars are also good to give some unique flavour. One way to make the Nords' narrow mouth look a bit wider is to put some curve to the mouth and avoid making the lips too thick. Cheekbones can also make quite a difference in how the character looks.

I'm quite satisfied with my Nord character right now (her pic below). Maybe a bit too much on the "pretty" side for a 2-handed wielding dragonknight, but good enough seeing that appearance tokens cost money. The position in the face triangle is all the way to the bottom, and maybe a quarter of the way towards "soft" from the "angular" corner. The lighting in the pic unfortunately doesn't show her freckles well, IMO they add some personality to the character. I don't know about the uniqueness, but at least she doesn't look like a six-foot toddler or a man in drag:
    h43b0zcfmbs0.png

I don't have any Bosmer characters, but their problem seems to be that they all look somewhat childlike. For more adulty and unique look, maybe position the basic look in the triangle somewhere near the "heroic" corner (or between heroic and angular) and/or try prominent cheekbones? Also, seeing how the Elf eyes are, a striking eye colour like bright green might make the character more personable.

As for the body, it's all about your taste and the feel you want for the character. Of course, looking at it conventionally lean and/or muscular body types fit aesthetically better with angular faces, and a soft type with soft face etc. For instance, my Nord pictured above has a wide-shouldered, athletic body with hips a bit on the narrow side so that she looks her role. But one could always strive for a contrast for whatever reason. Who says a mage can't be ripped? Think about who your character is, what kind of armor she will be wearing and how the demands of her class would sculpt her body. Then you can decide if you want to stick to the obvious type or deviate from it.
    Edited by Tesman85 on June 20, 2021 10:24AM
  • Kurokewi
    Kurokewi
    Soul Shriven
    Edited by Kurokewi on January 5, 2022 11:21PM