The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Antiquarian help!

bridgetrose
bridgetrose
✭✭✭
So I'm fine with the green ones and the blue ones but now I'm on to the purple Advanced with the fissures and after trying the same dig area a dozen times and watching videos I can't figure out what the problem is. I understand the connect the fissures but I can't even find the treasure to begin with. First off it will only let me use the brush then after two of those I can use the shovel or trowel but only once and then back to the brush. In all those times I've not found the prize once and I've uncovered most of the dig site. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. If anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear them.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you using the auger first? It will highlight the spot with red or orange or yellow or green. Red means you are far away from the dig spot. Orange means you are a little closer but still far. Yellow means you are getting close and green means 'dig here'.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    Are you using the auger first? It will highlight the spot with red or orange or yellow or green. Red means you are far away from the dig spot. Orange means you are a little closer but still far. Yellow means you are getting close and green means 'dig here'.

It won't let me use the auger. It says that skill can't penetrate that deep. It says that no matter which level I try it on. That would make it so much easier.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Usually there's one or more lower squares you can augur; never seen one yet without any but that doesn't mean they don't or can't exist.

Next best thing to try, I suppose, is removing the top layer(s) of random squares to test the augur on sub-surface layers.

Also it really helps to have ALL the passives unlocked for your skill level.
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    Souterain wrote: »
    Usually there's one or more lower squares you can augur; never seen one yet without any but that doesn't mean they don't or can't exist.

Next best thing to try, I suppose, is removing the top layer(s) of random squares to test the augur on sub-surface layers.

Also it really helps to have ALL the passives unlocked for your skill level.

I went back and did a lower level one and got a better feel for the levels. Then went back to a purple one and this time it worked. So obviously operator error. :)

• deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wonderful! Glad you got it working - lots of goodies to uncover now. :)
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With purple Antiquities, there are generally 4, 5 or 6 layers of earth on any given square. I use the Hand Brush to dig one of the 4s down to a 3, then I can use the Augur... repeat over and over again, until one of the squares shows up green.

In general I can then dig up the artifact only needing 1 point in Trowel, and alternating between a couple of uses of regular hand brush with 1 of trowel. One should, at this time, *avoid* the fissures (which cannot cover an antiquity), not attempt to use them.

If you spent 1 skill point in Augur (to go from 1 to 2), then you can use it on anything that's up to 6 deep, rather than 3 deep, which completely solves your augur problems for purple antiquities, and many (but not all) of your problems for Master level antiquities, which can be buried 5 to 8 deep and you can probably use it on the 5s and 6s.

I can reliably dig up any Advanced or Master level antiquity with just two skill points spent in Excavation - 1 in Trowel and 1 in Heavy Shovel. All else is gravy. Ultimate (5 skill points, level 10) antiquities are tougher to dig up and you may need more time and/or extra skills.
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »
    With purple Antiquities, there are generally 4, 5 or 6 layers of earth on any given square. I use the Hand Brush to dig one of the 4s down to a 3, then I can use the Augur... repeat over and over again, until one of the squares shows up green.

In general I can then dig up the artifact only needing 1 point in Trowel, and alternating between a couple of uses of regular hand brush with 1 of trowel. One should, at this time, *avoid* the fissures (which cannot cover an antiquity), not attempt to use them.

If you spent 1 skill point in Augur (to go from 1 to 2), then you can use it on anything that's up to 6 deep, rather than 3 deep, which completely solves your augur problems for purple antiquities, and many (but not all) of your problems for Master level antiquities, which can be buried 5 to 8 deep and you can probably use it on the 5s and 6s.

I can reliably dig up any Advanced or Master level antiquity with just two skill points spent in Excavation - 1 in Trowel and 1 in Heavy Shovel. All else is gravy. Ultimate (5 skill points, level 10) antiquities are tougher to dig up and you may need more time and/or extra skills.

thank you for that insight. I finally got to 10 because I had a lead on a Moon Blessed Ceremonial pool that I wanted really bad. I was at 9 1/2 and I had 30 days to get to 10 and I did it! I've only gotten a couple gold leads but that is by far my favorite. I'd like to get more of that so I could up my abilities to be able to do as you describe.