The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

what is the "1"? (ability timer)

mzprx
mzprx
✭✭✭✭✭
howdy folks,

when i use an ability that has a time duration it will show on my bar in seconds. awesome. but a strange number 1 also appears in the top right corner. anyone knows what does that 1 mean?

9QbPtIq.jpg
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gut reaction is stacks, but that makes no sense in this case.

Don't really know. I'm still using ADR since the backbar timers are vastly superior to the new ZoS version.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Front bar 1, backbar 2?
    I'll look at the instructions, oh wait. lol
  • mzprx
    mzprx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Front bar 1, backbar 2?
    I'll look at the instructions, oh wait. lol

i thought so as well, but as you can see i'm on my back bar and it shows 1. so it's not that. no idea what that is, i watched YT videos about the new ability timer but they didn't have any "1" there..
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (...) You can also enable timers for the back bar which will display smaller timers for abilities on the ability bar that isn't currently active. (...)
    Patch notes has this ^
    But the text, as written, got me thinking now: shouldn't it say instead "You can also enable timers for the back bar which will display smaller timers for abilities on the ability bar that is currently active."?
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • mzprx
    mzprx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (...) You can also enable timers for the back bar which will display smaller timers for abilities on the ability bar that isn't currently active. (...)
    Patch notes has this ^
    But the text, as written, got me thinking now: shouldn't it say instead "You can also enable timers for the back bar which will display smaller timers for abilities on the ability bar that is currently active."?
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

that was meant to say that when you enable it (the back bar timer) it will show you a tiny timer in the background so you can see when your other bar abilities expire -

TWdwrIf.jpg

that is not it. it would be nice to get some explanation from someone. like devs. 'cause it's irritating and there is no mention of it in the patch notes. what in Oblivion does that "1" mean?
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try Grim Focus on a NB to see if the number increases and its indeed stacks?
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • mzprx
    mzprx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try Grim Focus on a NB to see if the number increases and its indeed stacks?

don't have a NB, sorry about that. but what "stacks" can we talk about in connection with the Unstable Wall of Fire or Harness Magicka? and, as i've previousle mentioned, videos on YT don't show anything like that at all. so it must be new..
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    As entertaining as it is to watch everyone try and solve this mystery, this is something that simply hasn't been fully implemented yet so you can ignore it for now!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only in ESO. lmao
    Edited by TequilaFire on June 1, 2021 5:41PM
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As entertaining as it is to watch everyone try and solve this mystery, this is something that simply hasn't been fully implemented yet so you can ignore it for now!

It is very entertaining XD
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My kingdom for a LOL button!
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • six2fall
    six2fall
    ✭✭✭✭

So the timers will be getting more improvements then? Does that include hopefully getting an actual timer with seconds for the bb abilities? That bar is small & impossible to know how long an ability has left.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While we are answering community questions, can we know if there is a plan to change the "other bar" timers, or is it there to stay like that?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

While we are answering community questions, can we know if there is a plan to change the "other bar" timers, or is it there to stay like that?

Trying not to get my hopes up, but that must be the answer. The player feedback was unanimous in wanting numbers instead of vague tiny bars for back bar timers. I wish it was finished before going live, but at least it’s confirmed that they’re not done with this feature.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe you can tell a companion to use an ability on their bar by holding a key and using that slot on your bar?
  • Inval1d
    Inval1d
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was to indicate if you've used the skill in the rotation before switching bars, because the number disappears when you switch bar back and forth
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still just using ADR.
    I really don't understand why the designer for this welcome addition didn't look at what people are currently using...
  • six2fall
    six2fall
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    Still just using ADR.
    I really don't understand why the designer for this welcome addition didn't look at what people are currently using...

They probably did but cant just copy someone er else's work without paying them.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    six2fall wrote: »
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    Still just using ADR.

They probably did but cant just copy someone er else's work without paying them.
    Never stopped Bethesda. Why should it stop ZOS? (*cough* Skyrim Special Edition)

In all seriousness, though, it's not copywritten or trademarked art. ZOS would undoubtedly create their own implementation behind the scenes, so that no code would actually be copied, and nearly all of the design elements (icons, the action bar itself, animations, etc) were designed by ZOS in the first place.

Trust me, if ZOS wanted to copy ADR's layout, they could. This was a deliberate design decision, most likely because they don't like the way ADR shifts the health bar up to accommodate the back bar.
    Edited by silvereyes on June 2, 2021 4:34AM
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I went back to ADR, just don't like the way ZOS handled the tiny icons for the stuff on the back bar with there version.
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They actually admitted being inspired by ADR in the patch notes. Why wouldn't they?

Shame that even though it's such a simple addon, they couldn't implement it well, do they not actually play the game or are they just thaaat lazy?
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would really like the back bar icons to be more pronounced. Maybe this is just gamepad, but the tiny indicators don't feel as intuitive as action duration reminders appearance. I do like the overall aesthetic though👍
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope to have a better design for it, like bigger icons for the so-called "shift bar" and a numeric countdown instead of a progressbar. I'm sticking with Action Duration Reminder 'til then
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • Anachronia
    I was guessing it was a countdown until the ability cooldown is over, but it is probably not implemented.
  • MrKraji
    MrKraji
    Soul Shriven
    I can imagine it being a pain to implement but it would be nice to have some sort of override for what portion of abilities are tracked i.e track the debuff on degeneration and barbed trap rather than the major sorcery and trap duration respectively.

I guess some kind of global toggle to determine if the damaging portion or the buff portion is tracked could work, seeing as most DD's would care about the damage portion while support roles would care about buff uptime.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would be nice if they would just hire the add-on creators to implement all of the fancy things into the base game, so that we could have nice things on console.
  • RedFireDisco
    RedFireDisco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't there talk of ability cooldowns on AoE's?