The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

War Maiden or Julianos for Magicka Nightblade PVE?

MikeSkyrim333
MikeSkyrim333
✭✭✭✭
Can you please tell me why people recommend Julianos for Magicka Nightblade, not War Maiden?

War Maiden

(2 items) Adds 657 Spell Critical
(3 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
(4 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage
(5 items) Adds 600 Spell Damage to your Magic Damage abilities

Law of Julianos

(2 items) Adds 657 Spell Critical
(3 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
(4 items) Adds 657 Spell Critical
(5 items) Adds 300 Spell Damage

Since all magicka nightblade abilities have magicka damage wouldn't it be wiser to use War Maiden set, even though I have Zaan and Valkin Scorria that have flame damage and the spell damage from War Maiden will not apply to them?

I am also considering War Maiden set for PVP
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I belie e the general rule used to be with the +450 elemental damage sets that you wanted 75% of your damage to be coming from that element for them to be viable. Since War Maiden now gives +600 I'd imagine at 60% and you'd be doing better with it then you would with Julianos.

Are you gonna use Wall of Elements and Meteor? Those arent magic damage.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For PvE, the extra crit chance from Julianos is nice, and it also buffs your healing, elemental damage, and especially light attacks, which all adds up. They're probably not that different for PvE starter sets though, so you're pretty much right, and can use either. Julianos is just way easier to get, because you can just craft it and you're done. That's mostly why it's recommended.

War Maiden is great for PvP. The burst skills that magblade uses are almost all magic damage, and you generally want burst in PvP instead of slow sustained damage. I'm very loyal to War Maiden on my magblade lol.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it’s because Julianos adds a flat SD value that gets buffed by Major / Minor Sorcery.
    So Julianos is probably a little bit better for PVE DPS.

War Maiden is better for PVP burst though.

Edit:
    I want to add some clear text hear for anyone that finds this thread in the future. I've seen so much confusion about War Maiden in the past, even among big youtubers and streamer.

1. War Maiden does get buffed by Major and Minor Sorcery.
    2. War Maiden only buffs your Magic damage not all your Magicka based damage.

In conclusion for this thread:
    If most or all your abilities are Magic damage, you might see better dps with War Maiden.
    In most cases, Julianos will be the better PVE choice.
    Edited by Jackey on June 1, 2021 7:38AM
    PS | EU
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jackey wrote: »
    I think it’s because Julianos adds a flat SD value that gets buffed by Major / Minor Srocery.

War maiden also gets buffed by major sorcery.

I really liked war maiden on my bombblade for pvp. Not sure if VD scales with it, ill have to test that sometime.

In pve you have at least wall of elemtns and light attacks that do elementall dmg. And like i said not sure how proc sets scale with it now.
    But still should be decent. Not top, but you couls do alot worse
  • MikeSkyrim333
    MikeSkyrim333
    ✭✭✭✭
    FluffWit wrote: »
    I belie e the general rule used to be with the +450 elemental damage sets that you wanted 75% of your damage to be coming from that element for them to be viable. Since War Maiden now gives +600 I'd imagine at 60% and you'd be doing better with it then you would with Julianos.

Yes, I will use Wall of Elements and Meteor. I thougt if I have 80% magicka damage abalities so War Maiden would be better, but now I see that Julianos would have a bit more damage)
  • MikeSkyrim333
    MikeSkyrim333
    ✭✭✭✭
    For PvE, the extra crit chance from Julianos is nice, and it also buffs your healing, elemental damage, and especially light attacks, which all adds up. They're probably not that different for PvE starter sets though, so you're pretty much right, and can use either. Julianos is just way easier to get, because you can just craft it and you're done. That's mostly why it's recommended.

War Maiden is great for PvP. The burst skills that magblade uses are almost all magic damage, and you generally want burst in PvP instead of slow sustained damage. I'm very loyal to War Maiden on my magblade lol.

Thanks) I think I'll use Julianos for PVE and War Maiden for PVP
  • MikeSkyrim333
    MikeSkyrim333
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it’s because Julianos adds a flat SD value that gets buffed by Major / Minor Srocery.

Didn't think about flat spell damage value that gets buffed by major and minor sorcery, now I see that Julianos is better for PVE, thx)
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't think about flat spell damage value that gets buffed by major and minor sorcery, now I see that Julianos is better for PVE, thx)

War maiden also gets buffed by major and minor sorcery
  • MikeSkyrim333
    MikeSkyrim333
    ✭✭✭✭
    laksikus wrote: »

War maiden also gets buffed by major and minor sorcery

Now I'm thinking again about using this set in PVE, I think I'll just do a dummy test. I should have done it right away :)
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been using War Maiden and Spinner 5/5 on my Dark Elf Magic Templar forever and will not change it. The bonuses from both sets are really great. If you like the bonuses on War Maiden then use it. Don't let others tell you differently.
  • MikeSkyrim333
    MikeSkyrim333
    ✭✭✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    I have been using War Maiden and Spinner 5/5 on my Dark Elf Magic Templar forever and will not change it. The bonuses from both sets are really great. If you like the bonuses on War Maiden then use it. Don't let others tell you differently.

Thanks for advice) Actually I've never used Spinner but now I want to test this setup
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve always been on team Julianos for this one, but tbh all the recent changes seem to favor War Maiden. The extra line of crit on Juli isn’t much better than 129 Spell Damage after the crit nerf. Wall has been a poor DoT since Dragonhold, really only used to proc enchants and the Maelstrom Staff, so who cares about losing 300 Spell Damage on that ability. Light Attacks are also weaker than they used to be, roughly 15% of DPS, so less of a concern. And the big one is War Maiden getting buffed to 600 Spell Damage.

For a single target build War Maiden seems better than Juli now (if over ~57% magic damage). AoE builds it will depend on whether you use Magic damage (Sap) or elemental (Shock Ring + Fiery Rage).

The other consideration is using Mother’s Sorrow, which beats War Maiden unless you have ~75-80% magic damage.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use war maiden (with new moon acolyte)
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Julianos for sure.
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FluffWit wrote: »

Yes, I will use Wall of Elements and Meteor. I thougt if I have 80% magicka damage abalities so War Maiden would be better, but now I see that Julianos would have a bit more damage)

Oh I wasnt trying to put you off war Maiden. Even with those two abilities not being buffed with it War Maiden may be better- 600 damage is a lot.

And 2-4 bonuses a very similar. Julianos gets an extra crit bonus. WM gets an extra spell damage. Both are great.
  • Beavisaur13
    Beavisaur13
    ✭✭✭
    I use both together on my mag NB, mostly cuz its not my main, and I to lazy to farm better sets. But while its not the most min/max combo out there, both are easy enough to get. Plus you can do pretty good dps in all of the types of content, so just use both, till you get like siroria or something.
    Edited by Beavisaur13 on June 1, 2021 6:23AM
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use War Maiden's on my magicka templar, but magicka templar has a lot of magic damage abilities. Keep in mind elemental damage is not affected by War Maiden's. It really depends on your build and class. If most of your damage is specifically magic damage, then go War Maiden's. Otherwise, Julianos (though there can be better options depending on your build).
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burning Spellweave beats both and it can be frontbared. Use it with Mothers Sorrow and either 2 piece crit, Zaan, Iceheart, Slime depending on Situation.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either or both
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • ankeor
    ankeor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    War Maiden doesn't buff your light attacks.

Also in next patch proc sets will be scaled with your spell damage. If you are using a monster set like Zaan, Grothdar or another elemental proc set like Vicious Death for pvp, it won't be buffed by War Maiden as it only buffs magic damage.

If you are really going to build around it you can use War Maiden. If you just want to slap a set which can be used in any case just use Julianos.
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a better option: True-Sworn Fury on body. Even at full hp it has similar to Julianos results, but on easy/trash encounters you can use it with vampire's fury toggle, at hm modes it will proc without any effort.
    I have been using War Maiden for very long time and it's a great set for mNB, now I use FG mostly - it's cool and will be even better from today since orbs gets a nerf.
    So my advice: get whatever is easier and go to nSS for FG farm - it's doesn't require a lot of runs since there many chests (TBH it' the easiest sets to farm drop-wise)
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use war maiden with new moon accolyte or mad tinkerer on my magplars in PVE (no endgame content).
    War maiden replaces mothers sorrow that I used before.
    Main spammable is puncturing strikes (magic damage).

In this context, I can burn down mobs a little quicker, important for me for days where I do >40 daily delve & worldboss quests a day. The difference to mothers sorrow is not huge though, both are a good choice.

Because of the small difference, I'd suggest to check it on your own in the content you play most.
    The individual playstyle (rotation, magic vs elemental damage, crit chance) has too much impact to give a general advice.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    After having for a long time used Cyr Light + Overwhelming on my magplar, I changed Cyro Light with War Maiden.
    The beneficial in terms of dd was evident, and I did not come back (dear old Llambris is the monster couple, Apprentice the stone).

I have to add that I use a 2H sword on my backbar, only to reap trash packs: when I alternate a puncture with 2-3 LA's (and started Solar barrage before), every mob dissolves and there's no problem with sustain.

OFC this is my very personal solution, and I use it only for PVE.
    Edited by fiender66 on June 1, 2021 10:40AM