The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

DPS can’t go over 24k (if i have .8 la/s) sustain issues

cheesestickz
cheesestickz
Soul Shriven
hi. i am a magsorc high elf using medusa + mother’s sorrow + maw (all divines, all purple, except for gold weapons and blue jewelry). i’m pulling around 22-24k dps (on a 6 mil) with .8 la/s (on a good parse) which is mainly bc i cannot keep my magicka resource pool from running dry. i’m using tri-stat crown potions and ghastly eye soup for extra sustain but it doesn’t seem to help very much. i’m using a double pet build with crystal frags as my spamable but i feel like my dps could be higher if i could actually spam crystal frags. when/ how should i be weaving in heavy attacks tht won’t slow down my rotation but still allow me to not run out of magicka constantly throughout a rotation? also, should i switch to spell power potions? will it rlly increase my dps? i want to be able to reach 35k dps at least so i can do vet content on my magsorc.
  • Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my thoughts:

- never parse without eledrain on a 6 mio dummy, this debuff alone is a huge boost to dmg while also helping with ressources.
    - spell power pots will be a boost to dmg as well (remember the alchemy passive that allows you to drink on cooldown)
    - if you still have sustain issues, try to recruit a templar friend who throws orbs or shards at you during the fight
    - .8 la/s with frags is pretty nice, sure could be better, but dont stress it
    - your dmg is fine for vet content, give it a try, its more about mechanics and awerness anyways than have a pitch perfect parse

to help you further it would be mandatory to see at least all your skills and maybe even a cmx. (so we can see your skill setup, your weapon (maelstrom staff or not is again 3k dps roughly)

edit: aand if you are PC EU, you can use my trial dummy if you want
    Edited by Xuhora on May 28, 2021 3:09PM
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're on PC, could you post a screenshot a your combat metrics damage and info tab of your parse. It'll give us a more detailed info on your build and your parse to help your better.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sustain is awful on the 6 mil dummy. You’ll need Elemental Drain and Dark Conversion even with Ghastly Eyebowl, which means your back bar only has room for pets and Wall.

I highly recommend using the 21 mil trial dummy, which has its own Ele Drain, gives you Worm, and throws shards for you to synergize. This allows you to slot damage skills on back bar and simulates having healer support in dungeons/trials.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    also, should i switch to spell power potions? will it rlly increase my dps?

It will if you aren't consistently getting Major Sorcery and Prophesy already.

Didn't give your skills but Dark Conversion and Spell Symmetry/Equilibrium give you magicka in exchange for other resources.
    PC NA
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the sustain wall on ye ol' magsorc. 😉

Everyone has been there or will come to that point. 😁
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • cheesestickz
    cheesestickz
    Soul Shriven
    Xuhora wrote: »
    my thoughts:

- never parse without eledrain on a 6 mio dummy, this debuff alone is a huge boost to dmg while also helping with ressources.
    - spell power pots will be a boost to dmg as well (remember the alchemy passive that allows you to drink on cooldown)
    - if you still have sustain issues, try to recruit a templar friend who throws orbs or shards at you during the fight
    - your dmg is fine for vet content, give it a try, its more about mechanics and awerness anyways than have a pitch perfect parse

to help you further it would be mandatory to see at least all your skills and maybe even a cmx. (so we can see your skill setup, your weapon (maelstrom staff or not is again 3k dps roughly)

omg i wasnt expecting people to reply so soon :D thanks for the tips! v helpful. i'm gonna log on and try tht out.... still gonna wait before i do vet stuff on my dd tho (i do vet dungeons on my healer ;P much easier)

About that maelstrom staff, i do not have one. i've been getting terrible luck from the drops. i keep getting daggers, axes, shields, everything BUT staves. so, i will have a maelstrom staff ... in the future :D i'll get a cmx parse posted next time i practice. if it helps, ive got double medusa staves: fb shock w/precise, back bar fire staff with weapon dmg& infused (but in dungeons i use a shock staff as well for extra aoe dmg). im testing out a liko build, but when I posted this i was using crit surge, both pets, storm atronach > deadric prey > ' (bar swap) unstable wall > orb ` (bar swap) > frags (usually 2-3 :/ ) > heavy attack > repeat (inner light slotted)
    with the liko build im doing boundless storm, pets, storm atronach > unstable wall > barbed trap > orb ` > prey > frags x > heavy > repeat

I havent noticed any difference in dps so far :/ my uptime on skills are about 2-3% lower than liko, which leads me to believe my dps should be higher than 24k (or maybe tht 2-3% makes tht much more of a difference, plus he uses a trial dummy)

My main account (where my magsorc resides) is on PC NA, but i have another account on PC EU (@cheesestickz)
  • cheesestickz
    cheesestickz
    Soul Shriven
    That's the sustain wall on ye ol' magsorc. 😉

Everyone has been there or will come to that point. 😁

:,,,,,) RIP. when i first made my account a year ago, i just wanted to be an elven wizard bc thts been my fantasy since i was a kid. little did i know i would get sucked into being a magsorc DD LOL all of the synergies are never enough for the gluttonous magsorc....
  • cheesestickz
    cheesestickz
    Soul Shriven
    my thoughts:

i actually got the maelstrom staff (lightning tho) just now. so i just finished doing a quick parse on the 3mil (my action duration addon isnt working properly for my backbar so ive been playing it by sight). not my best parse (.73 la/s rip), just to give u an idea of my skills, uptime, gear, etc.

kRIJmmF
    fByw0wx
  • cheesestickz
    cheesestickz
    Soul Shriven
    my thoughts:

i actually got the maelstrom staff (lightning tho) just now. so i just finished doing a quick parse on the 3mil (my action duration addon isnt working properly for my backbar so ive been playing it by sight). not my best parse (.73 la/s rip), just to give u an idea of my skills, uptime, gear, etc.

kRIJmmF
    fByw0wx

https://imgur.com/kRIJmmF
    https://imgur.com/fByw0wx
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thief->shadow for you, enchant lightning -> fire, barbered trap->elemental drain (barbed trap does nothing with medusa)
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    thief->shadow for you, enchant lightning -> fire, barbered trap->elemental drain (barbed trap does nothing with medusa)

Is barbed trap actually better for a magic user than channelled acceleration? I know channelled acceleration has a 1.3s cast time, but the minor force lasts 36s. Barbed Trap only lasts 18s. Race against time has no cast time, but minor force only lasts 12s. I know barbed trap also does dmg, but I just assumed it wouldn't really add up to much. Cheers
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on May 30, 2021 1:12AM
    PC | EU
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is barbed trap actually better for a magic user than channelled acceleration? I know channelled acceleration has a 1.3s cast time, but the minor force lasts 36s. Barbed Trap only lasts 18s. Race against time has no cast time, but minor force only lasts 12s. I know barbed trap also does dmg, but I just assumed it wouldn't really add up to much. Cheers

He is wearing medusa, so either is useless. To your question though trap and channel gives similar damage, with trap providing superior sustain.
    Edited by zvavi on May 30, 2021 1:23AM
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

He is wearing medusa, so either is useless. To your question though trap and channel gives similar damage, with trap providing superior sustain.

Plus that Fighter's Guild passive that'll give you a tiny bit quicker Ultimate generation if you happen to kill foes with any FG skill slotted is nice! Not that the Psijic passives are bad either, but just saying. And the trap applies Bleed damage, so its damage isn't that bad despite being a Stamina skill.

If you're within range of plopping a Barbed Trap on your target most people prefer it for the ease-of-use + smattering of little benefits, not necessarily just the obvious comparisons versus Acceleration.

More than anything though -- cast times... ugh! Right? I simply refuse to use Channeled Acceleration until they buff it to silly OP levels, or take off that gross-feeling cast time. (So basically I'll never use it.) :P
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I notice an awful lot of un-procced Frag casts... is that normal? I don't run Frags as a rule (because I don't like the chance-based minigame feel), so maybe some folks more familiar with the Sorc meta can chime in here. I was under the impression that you generally wanted to cast them only when they procced; not only for the higher damage, but also the sustain difference!

Also, @cheesestickz have you considered just trying a full-on Heavy Attack build? If you're putting in so much effort with a pet build and getting unsatisfactory results, maybe you'd enjoy something where just a few abilities plus the channeled heavies from your Lightning Staves were more the star of the show, so to speak. Might be worth a look!

(But I'm biased due to personally hating Sorc pets and taking every available opportunity to turn people away form those annoying creature builds, so take my input with a pinch of salt!) ;P
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I personally like cfrags as spammable because it deals good dmg and makes sustain easier. With two pets it also makes the rotation easy, just cast blockade and orbs from the back bar. From the front bar you cast curse, scamp and weave cfrags.

I know its a bit different than your current build but I had quite good results so it might be worth trying for you.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer