The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sets that increase shock damage done?

Aertew
Aertew
✭✭✭✭
Looking to make a lightning build for my magicka sorc. I'm planning on using Stormfist and stormknight or ovewhelming surge set's for this.

This is just for fun and I'm not expecting to do good DPS.
Edited by Aertew on May 28, 2021 4:09AM
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Netch's Touch?
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try netch's touch, drops in darkshade caverns. Several named jewelry pieces, and is sun/war maiden but with shock.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favorite (granted non-vet) Sorc tank build is Thunderbug, Storm Knight and Stormfist.

It is hilariously fun to play
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Aertew
    Aertew
    ✭✭✭✭
    Netch's Touch?
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Try netch's touch, drops in darkshade caverns. Several named jewelry pieces, and is sun/war maiden but with shock.

Oh that's great. Pretty much whar I was looking for. Would be great if I could look up keywords in set collection. Tried shock and it didn't help lol
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aertew wrote: »
    Netch's Touch?

Oh that's great. Pretty much whar I was looking for. Would be great if I could look up keywords in set collection. Tried shock and it didn't help lol

Try eso-sets.com
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Netches Touch and Elemental Succession
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bit of a grind but i have a full set of Netch's Touch in Devines for my shocking PetSorc and it is awesome.

smile.gif

• tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An important comparison:

Elemental Succession:

2192 Max Magicka
    621 Spell Damage

Adjusted with Major Sorcery (which you always want up):

745 Spell Damage

Converting Max Magicka to equivalent Spell Damage (divide by 10.5):

745 + 208 = 953 Spell Damage

Netch's Touch:

1096 Max Magicka
    529 Spell Damage
    3% Critical Chance

634 Spell Damage

634 + 104 = 738 Spell Damage
    and 3% spell critical.

This is BEFORE factoring in the +7% Max Magicka from Inner Light, the +8% Max Magicka from Bound Aegis, and the +2% Spell Damage per sorcerer skill slotted, all of which will amplify the difference between the two of these.

I think Elemental Succession is a bit underrated for elemental damage builds. For PvP it's more damage than Netch's Touch. For PvE, the +3% Critical Chance increases your damage output by maybe 1-2% depending on how much Critical Chance and Critical Damage you already have.

TL;DR: Elemental Succession is better by about 250-300 Spell Damage.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An important comparison:

Elemental Succession:

2192 Max Magicka
    621 Spell Damage

745 Spell Damage

Netch's Touch:

1096 Max Magicka
    529 Spell Damage
    3% Critical Chance

634 Spell Damage

and 3% spell critical.

This is BEFORE factoring in the +7% Max Magicka from Inner Light, the +8% Max Magicka from Bound Aegis, and the +2% Spell Damage per sorcerer skill slotted, all of which will amplify the difference between the two of these.

I think Elemental Succession is a bit underrated for elemental damage builds. For PvP it's more damage than Netch's Touch. For PvE, the +3% Critical Chance increases your damage output by maybe 1-2% depending on how much Critical Chance and Critical Damage you already have.

Yep, it’s a shame how Netch’s Touch buffs Shock Damage less than multi-element sets like Succession. Netch is just underpowered, losing out to almost every other DPS set, even on a Lightning build (Spell Strat, Diamond’s Victory, Siroria, Mother’s Sorrow, etc.). The only reason to use it is for a build theme. It should really give at least 600 Spell Damage on the 5pc, similar to War Maiden.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Netch's Touch?
    Would be great if I could look up keywords in set collection. Tried shock and it didn't help lol

This is the best solution to your problem. It's not always perfect, but overall it works well.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Category:Online-Sets_by_Effect
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An important comparison:

Elemental Succession:

2192 Max Magicka
    621 Spell Damage

745 Spell Damage

Netch's Touch:

1096 Max Magicka
    529 Spell Damage
    3% Critical Chance

634 Spell Damage

and 3% spell critical.

Yep, it’s a shame how Netch’s Touch buffs Shock Damage less than multi-element sets like Succession. Netch is just underpowered, losing out to almost every other DPS set, even on a Lightning build (Spell Strat, Diamond’s Victory, Siroria, Mother’s Sorrow, etc.). The only reason to use it is for a build theme. It should really give at least 600 Spell Damage on the 5pc, similar to War Maiden.

The issue with Elemental Succession is that you really need a set with a lot of critical chance paired with it. Medusa is an obvious candidate. However by running Netch you can pair it with something like Julianos something that you can't really do with Succession due to the critical chance loss. Of course this does not take into account trial sets, but the OP said it was for fun. Which brings me onto my next point, If going for fun then run Overwhelimg Surge and Auroran's Thunder with Storm Fist or Illambris.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nice thing about Succession with a crit set is that you can front bar Succession and keep Sorrow or Medusa active on both bars. Netch doesn’t carry over on bar swap so would ideally be on armor/jewelry. This means a front bar crit set, but those are lacking for Magicka. You can do Acuity, but with that you wouldn’t even want the line of crit on Netch, and Succession would still be a better option.

Anyway, they’re close enough it prob doesn’t matter much for a pure Lightning build. I don’t think I’d actually recommend either Succession or Netch for a Sorcerer because they don’t apply to Crystal Frags, Daedric Prey or and Fire Damage. Hopefully Lightning will get buffed in the future.
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The nice thing about Succession with a crit set is that you can front bar Succession and keep Sorrow or Medusa active on both bars. Netch doesn’t carry over on bar swap so would ideally be on armor/jewelry. This means a front bar crit set, but those are lacking for Magicka. You can do Acuity, but with that you wouldn’t even want the line of crit on Netch, and Succession would still be a better option.

Anyway, they’re close enough it prob doesn’t matter much for a pure Lightning build. I don’t think I’d actually recommend either Succession or Netch for a Sorcerer because they don’t apply to Crystal Frags, Daedric Prey or and Fire Damage. Hopefully Lightning will get buffed in the future.

Unfortunately the grind for succession weapons is one of the worst grinds in the game. I've given up on a inferno staff for my DK ages ago :( Great set though.
    EU PC
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're looking for flavor and aren't terribly concerned about performance, there's a few fun ones around...

Auroran's Thunder Cone of Zappy Zap Tickle Tendrils

Mad Tinkerer's Fabricant Bowling Blaster

Overwhelming Surge's Electric Armpit Stank Swirler (which I see you already have your eye on)

and some other not-as-fun-effects sets that others have already mentioned.

Also, unless you just like the stone hand from Stormfist or something, I'd go with Ilambris instead -- the vfx for this one are much less obtrusive, if that matters to you. Stormfist's storm fists have a rather large proc model & an unnecessary light source IIRC, and I found it kind of obnoxious during prolonged use, personally.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Netch's Touch?
    Would be great if I could look up keywords in set collection. Tried shock and it didn't help lol

This is the best solution to your problem. It's not always perfect, but overall it works well.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Category:Online-Sets_by_Effect

Yep, this! You can check the bottom of a set's page to see all the associated tags. Can be very handy for those, "Yeah, but what about something similar but different?" type searches that can be really hard if you don't have encyclopedic knowledge on things. :P
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »

The one set I hate dds wearing when I tank.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

The one set I hate dds wearing when I tank.

Yep, agreed! It can be a pain in group content when you're not the one wearing/enjoying it, for sure.

But if we're talking about "just for funsies" type builds I have no problem recommending it to people. It's less annoying than Maw of the Infernal, or oversized flappy Twilights, or button-blocking Bears; so it's not that big a nuisance... ya know, comparatively. Randoms are often giving mobs CC Immunity at the worst possible time anyway, so the fact that the Tinkerer proc is pretty amusing to see makes it a lot more tolerable, haha.
  • Aertew
    Aertew
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're looking for flavor and aren't terribly concerned about performance, there's a few fun ones around...

Auroran's Thunder Cone of Zappy Zap Tickle Tendrils

Mad Tinkerer's Fabricant Bowling Blaster

Overwhelming Surge's Electric Armpit Stank Swirler (which I see you already have your eye on)

and some other not-as-fun-effects sets that others have already mentioned.

Also, unless you just like the stone hand from Stormfist or something, I'd go with Ilambris instead -- the vfx for this one are much less obtrusive, if that matters to you. Stormfist's storm fists have a rather large proc model & an unnecessary light source IIRC, and I found it kind of obnoxious during prolonged use, personally.

I like the special effects but lambris seems really cool too, thanks for the suggestion.