The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Ultimates that need to be looked over?

phaneub17_ESO
phaneub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Are there any Ultimates in the game you think needs to be reviewed or given a reworking? Anything that stands out as being lackluster or not quite pulling the weight?
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Revert cast times on ults, makes them clunky and unreliable.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Revert cast times is definitely a 'must.'

In addition, any ultimate that featured a Major buff that was recently nerfed and not compensated (e.g. NB Shadow ultimate, Sorcerer Atronach, Warden Blizzard, etc.). I would have added Templar Nova but it is actually receiving substantial buffs in the upcoming patch, indicating that ZOS seems to be aware of the need to buff this class of ultimate.

Finally, there are some ultimates that unused due to weakness. This includes the Dual Wield ultimate (both morphs), the CC-escape morph of Psijic ultimate, and perhaps the Resto Staff ultimates (or at least Champion of the Light).

And, of course, we need an Undaunted ultimate at some point as well as Arena Weapons that enhance ultimates.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Revert cast times and give StamSorc a physical damage based Atro morph.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In addition to reversing all cast times? Lackluster ones are too much to name, most of ultis suffered from unneeded nerfs or were not updated to some new standards, it's pretty complex topic now to just playing the name game.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverting all cast times.

They implemented it to give a chance for players to counter them.

Well a lot of players already could. Because most players who played PvP a lot would indicatively know when an ultimate was coming.

You'd get to learn combos of classes so when hit with x and y, you knew to get ready for an ult. Hold block, use a shield, pop a vigor, roll dodge. You know, used something called skill and experience.

It lowered the celling way too much, makes ultimates fell less powerful, makes combat clunky and frequently locks up your bars if something like a CC happens while attempting to cast an ult.

Aside from that, the nightblade ult consuming darkness or whatever could do with updating. It's expensive, damage is meh, area is small, it's static and since major protection got reduced even the damage mitigation isn't great.

I think warhorn should be moved to undaunted skill line, and a better, more useful ult added to the assault skill line.
  • Wolfchild07
    Wolfchild07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK, no ranged class ultimates. NB, no ranged class ultimates. Warden, has trees for ranged healing, and bear kinda sorta counts, I guess. But it would be nice if sleet storm had a ranged morph.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consuming Darkness & morphs for sure, probably one of the worst (if not the worst) Ultimate ability in the entire game.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on May 27, 2021 6:30PM
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any Ultimates in the game you think needs to be reviewed or given a reworking? Anything that stands out as being lackluster or not quite pulling the weight?

Templar: Aedric skill tree ultimate is weak and needs work, Nova needs the major maim that reduces dmg done by 30% back or a cost reduction.

Sorcerer: Overload needs some reworking since it lost the third bar. Maybe an entirely new ultimate concept since has never been quite "right" since the third bar went away.

Maybe S/B ultimate, Psijic Ultimate, and dual weild ultimate? Don't see those used to often, which is generally a sign that they need work.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DK, no ranged class ultimates

Huh? Dragon Leap?
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ultimates that don't need a little revision:
    1) Dawnbreaker and its morphs
    2) that's it.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Consuming Darkness & morphs for sure, probably one of the worst (if not the worst) Ultimate ability in the entire game.

no-one has used this in a very long time, if ever at all. so yeah. definitely.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Templar: Aedric skill tree ultimate is weak and needs work, Nova needs the major maim that reduces dmg done by 30% back or a cost reduction.

Sorcerer: Overload needs some reworking since it lost the third bar. Maybe an entirely new ultimate concept since has never been quite "right" since the third bar went away.

Maybe S/B ultimate, Psijic Ultimate, and dual weild ultimate? Don't see those used to often, which is generally a sign that they need work.

I'd guess you don't PvP much in Cyro, the S/B ult and especially the Psjiic Ult both get used quite a bit and ton's of Sorc's are Overloading their A's off (I don't like using it either personally but people do make it work for them).
    The Duel Wield Ult I couldn't agree more though as I've never seen nor heard of someone who uses it on a PvE or PvP build.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »

I'd guess you don't PvP much in Cyro, the S/B ult and especially the Psjiic Ult both get used quite a bit and ton's of Sorc's are Overloading their A's off (I don't like using it either personally but people do make it work for them).
    The Duel Wield Ult I couldn't agree more though as I've never seen nor heard of someone who uses it on a PvE or PvP build.

I won't claim to speak for the person you're quoting but we can look at the individual morphs of those abilities and find that one of them is basically never used.

For the Psijic ultimate it's the remove-CC morph that is seldomly ever seen even in PvP. That morph needs something extra to entice people to choose it over Temporal Guard.

Sword and Board ultimate gets use but usually it's the Spell Wall morph rather than the sustain morph. I would perhaps look at adding a more interesting secondary effect to the first morph as free casts of Sword and Board skills is... pretty mediocre.

Overload also sees use but the morphs are largely redundant with each other. One of them could easily be freed up for something more functionally distinct.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As much as I hate it I see why the cast times are they, but they feel so bad. If ZOS needs the cast times they shouldn't be longer than .1 second and maybe .2 at most.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Raeyleigh
    Raeyleigh
    ✭✭✭
    The ult casttimes need to go for sure.

Maybe the devs thought it would allow for counterplay and an easier entrance for new players, but recognizing and reacting to a 0.4 sec cast time too hard for newbies and casual pvpers, impossible even in reality due to the game is not being synchronized enough since they shifted many calculations server side to accomodate for stadia. All decent pvpers block and dodge ults by instinct just as they did before.

All we're left with is the clunkiness the cast times produce. Nobody won, everyone loses. One of the worst changes ever made.

The most useless ultimates that definetly need a rework right now are Consuming Darkness (nb), Lacerate (dualwield) and Perfect Scion (vampire)
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raeyleigh wrote: »
    The most useless ultimates that definetly need a rework right now are Consuming Darkness (nb), Lacerate (dualwield) and Perfect Scion (vampire)

all of these are definitely bad compared to other ultimates /the other morph (in perfect scion's case)

perfect scion i think could just use some extra cost reduction.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cast times definitely need to go. And Charged Storm Atronach. The Greater morph is just better, and its AoE is subpar at best.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Aertew
    Aertew
    ✭✭✭✭
    The shock ult for sorcerer. I'm a sorceree main and have been but it's useless for PvP, PvE, farming. It even sucks questing. It's so pathetically weak.
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. All mNB ults
    2. Vampire
    3. Necro revive morph with BB

nerf already to oblivion Dawnbreaker and Colossus
  • Wolfchild07
    Wolfchild07
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh? Dragon Leap?

Huh? Gap closer?

That's not what I meant by "ranged".
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh agreed! Also the cast time on ultimates that are dodgeable is extremely silly, aswell as ultimates that are purely defence/heal and deals no dmg. Soul Siphon and Incap. Also another ultimate thats very lackluster imo is the DW one.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Huh? Dragon Leap?

Huh? Gap closer?

That's not what I meant by "ranged".

OK, but why though? There is always Meteor if you need a "ranged" ultimate.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andre_Noir wrote: »
    1. All mNB ults
    2. Vampire
    3. Necro revive morph with BB

nerf already to oblivion Dawnbreaker and Colossus

Oh, Necro Blastbones ultimate is a good one!

I would love to see it turned into an actual damage ability (e.g. no more rez) with a significantly reduced cost. Even if it still just summoned the 3 Blastbones... if it only cost like 75-100 ultimate it would be worth using situationally.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »

Oh agreed! Also the cast time on ultimates that are dodgeable is extremely silly, aswell as ultimates that are purely defence/heal and deals no dmg. Soul Siphon and Incap. Also another ultimate thats very lackluster imo is the DW one.

I like the DW one :(.

Rend does similar damage as Ballista, costs 25 Ultimate less, is AoE and heals you for 50% of the damage. It mat not be ST king or very bursty, but I find it pretty useful when soloing tough stuff and the damage per point of ultimate is pretty good (better than DBoS).
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK:
    Magma Shell: Increase the range of 'nearby' to Barrier range, it can make it more stand out as defensive ult
    Corrosive Armor: Increase it's damage and include spell pen, so it can be a real alternative as offensive ult. Reducing damage to 3% is not that strong as you think, it just caps the damage of single tick so you can just rapid strike or jabs through it.
    Shifting Standard: Increase the duration to 30s so it won't trigger my eye every time
    Standard of Might: Reduce the cost just a little bit, 230 or 225

Templar:
    Empowering Sweep: Anybody ever use this? It needs new effect rather than Empower you can easily get from Barrage. I suggest giving this Major Protection back or Major Force.

NB:
    Bolstering Darkness: Give it unique 10% mitigation instead of Major Protection
    Veil of Blades: The ring moves with caster

Sorc:
    Summon Charged Atro: Again, barely anyone uses this. Rework it like most of people suggest, Summon Air Atro that can move and deals phys damage (with AoE spining)
    Overload in general: Either reduce the cost per bolt/channel or don't block ult charging over the duration

Warden:
    Bear: Remove stun from auto attack and move it to activated ult. Won't affect pvp that much and it will be a less annoyance for tanks in pve for add control.
    Northern Storm: Increases magicka while slotted, applies Minor Brittle to every enemy hit without having to slot frost staff.

Necro:
    Animate Blastbones: Animates other minions instead with their own independent durations depending what ability is slotted on the bar - Menders, Mages or Blastbones if there is no minion ability slotted. If there are both mender and mage slotted, it animates 2 Menders 1 Mage. Doesn't consume corpses anymore.

Eye of the Storm: Reduced cost

Lacerate: The bleed is unpurgeable

Shield Discipline: Increased duration

Life Giver/Light's Champion: Applies the additional effects to each nearby ally instead of the one healed.

Undo: Just fix it

• YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    olsborg wrote: »

I like the DW one :(.

Rend does similar damage as Ballista, costs 25 Ultimate less, is AoE and heals you for 50% of the damage. It mat not be ST king or very bursty, but I find it pretty useful when soloing tough stuff and the damage per point of ultimate is pretty good (better than DBoS).

No burst damage and no passive utility though makes it unusable for PvP and a somewhat viable but nearly always outclassed option for PvE.

I use it on precisely one build - a Redguard Warden going all-in on Dro'Zakar's Claws - but it's hard to escape the knowledge that it's purely for theme and that basically any other option would be superior.

TBH, the heal doesn't really make sense on a fundamentally PvE ultimate. It makes much better sense on Thrive in Chaos (but since that skill also isn't burst damage it is similarly useless in PvP). I'd happily drop the healing for an increase in its duration and damage (say, to 20 seconds) whereas I've said a million times before that Thrive in Chaos should feature Heal Absorption in order to make its DoT Damage actually dangerous in PvE (unless, of course, you purge it, in which case... RIP).
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's be real negate is trash in pve no matter how you look at it. 💔
    Edited by Starlight_Whisper on May 29, 2021 10:21AM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's be real negate is trash in pve no matter how you look at it. 💔

I like it to troll people who can't see the difference between the circles and think its an enemy dome.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Negate is fine and both morphs are fine. I think a bit more damage in suppression field would be nice however for sorcs wanting to go full Dark Magic. Warden Ults are fine as is don’t like the suggestion to make bear activated ult, prefer to keep it as permanent pet. Dual Wield ult should be unpurgeable I agree as should Toxic Barrage secondary effect. Destro Icy Rage never gets used due to Ice Comet far outweighing it for single target and Northern Storm being better for trash due to Max Magicka buff. I suggest giving Icy Rage Major Brittle while enemies are in its radius
  • ichsuisme
    ichsuisme
    ✭✭✭
    I’m still not happy with the warden bear ult. I think it has the longest cast time in the game and the bear doesn’t even survive well in pvp.

The dw ult is pretty unusable in cyrodiil too because it’s all dot damage and purge gets spammed there.

I’d also like to see the necro bash ult get reworked since bash builds aren’t around anymore.

I’d still like to see an undaunted ult.