The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Poll: Why play warden or necro in PvP?

xylena_lazarow
xylena_lazarow
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Keeping this simple. Pick the one that fits best.
Edited by xylena_lazarow on May 24, 2021 2:49PM
PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps

Poll: Why play warden or necro in PvP? 83 votes

Powerful in the metagame
50%
SolarikenKayshamartinhpb16_ESOAektannWingDrSlaughtrolsborgNoctusRhaegar75Ragnaroek93ParasaurolophusDjinn_al_zahirDerraGrimlok_SBraidasNMxylena_lazarowExtinct_Solo_PlayervesselwiththepestleSillyPlayVanagrand 42 votes
I like the class independent of its power level
49%
Syphilis_ESOAlurriaXerenlolo_01b16_ESOAzuryagresiacSorakaArmethiusInaMoonlightmitebaKartalinWaffennachtFreakin_HytteElusiinThe_LexGreasytenguLuckylancerScallanWise_WillTigerboy78 41 votes
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question should be why play anything other than warden or necro and the responses should be ‘I like the challenge” and “I don’t like to hop on the meta wagon”.
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame
    I haven’t been Pvping on either my warden or necro. Purposely. Testing other classes and builds. Some come close, others don’t. Tool kit is generally light on the other classes, but for the most part I’ve managed similar performance now on every class/build.
  • Raeyleigh
    Raeyleigh
    ✭✭✭
    I dont like warden, its powerfull but boring to play compared to the base game classes. I do like my healer warden more than other healing classes tho.

I like my necro, my first thought when the class was announced was: i'll play it stam!
    It's powerfull and completly braindead, whenever i feel like not trying i play it. But i couldnt play it all the time, its too dumb for that.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame
    Raeyleigh wrote: »
    I dont like warden... necro completly braindead
    Why did you pick the second option? Would you still play warden and necro if they were nerfed?
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dizzy + sub hit at same time, off balance, medium heavy + second sub to light attacked execute, it is just wonderfull to do :)
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • Raeyleigh
    Raeyleigh
    ✭✭✭
    Raeyleigh wrote: »
    I dont like warden... necro completly braindead
    Why did you pick the second option? Would you still play warden and necro if they were nerfed?

I misclicked.

Healden? Probably. Stamcro? Idk.
    Im an og old days stamsorc main and mainly play magblade and magdk beside that. Im used to playing weak classes at this point.
    A lot of my dislike for playing stamcro originates from dizzy being the only good option, but i hate dizzy since it was changed.
  • Armethius
    Armethius
    ✭✭✭
    Play warden because I do not have time to level another toon. I can't even get to 1000 CP with my full time job after 2+ years of playing. Nerfing Artic Blast will not stop my complete and utter dominance, I have many other tools at my side ;)
  • Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because warden is my main where I want to have all the achievments and a class change token does not exist.
    But I enjoy playing a stamsorc a lot more in pvp
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I actually prefer the magicka version of Warden and Necro, not only because they make good healers/support classes but because they have a more interesting toolkit that gives a variety of ways to play it.

MagDK? I hope you like whips. Magplar? F'n hate sweeps. Magsorc? Never found it all that interesting although they are clearly effective. Magblade? I've only utilized them effectively where Vicious Death is involved.

I've recently gotten a good grasp on the corpse mechanics of magcro in addition to already effectively playing a support role with it in pvp groups. And I've done so many different things effectively with magden in pvp. Soloed with it, healed/support organized groups, destro bombed with it, lots of flexibility.

Also I would say that playing stamina (other than NB) typically devolves into a 2h/DSwing approach which is simply not fun to me. It's not that I haven't done it with some success, magicka is just more interesting to me.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame
    Options should have been

"I like easy mode so I play a warden"

And

"I don't want to work to master a harder class that can't do everything."

😄
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Djinn_al_zahir
    Powerful in the metagame
    Because my magblade is shite.
    Man of la Mancha, DC, Nightblade
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame
    Fawn4287 wrote: »
    The question should be why play anything other than warden or necro and the responses should be ‘I like the challenge” and “I don’t like to hop on the meta wagon”.
    Personally, I don't wanna go back to life without Streak or Cloak, but I still keep a warden ready anyway.
  • Arbiter7070
    Arbiter7070
    ✭✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame
    Believe me when I say I want to play other things like my Magblade and my MagDK. Sometimes I force those classes anyway but why make things so much harder on myself? I could go play my no stealth magblade, have no burst heal except for resto staff ulti or I can play my Magden and have the single best burst heal in the game and become practically immortal against ranged spam with shimmering shield. I could play my MagDK but it's not cool when necros are just expunging all my Dots and I'm just crutching on cheese procs like vate staff and Zaan's to burst people down and make the class viable. Why make it harder on myself when I can just go on my magcro and have unlimited purges, clownform and incredible burst with blastbones and graverobber? Not to mention I'm damn near unkillable in a 1v1 with Spirit mender and resistant flesh. I don't want to play Necro or Warden but it's easy mode.
  • Armethius
    Armethius
    ✭✭✭
    There are little things you learn in time, like how to dodge a blastbones... that make necro pretty easy to kill and defend against.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame
    Armethius wrote: »
    There are little things you learn in time, like how to dodge a blastbones... that make necro pretty easy to kill and defend against.
    Blastbones is like Shalks on skooma. Same delayed burst damage, except it also randomly body blocks incoming attacks, but has a random chance to fail and do nothing. Awful to have to rely on as a necro player, awful to play against. Same can be said for the tether that's god mode until it breaks on a pebble. Overall a similar toolkit and power ceiling, but way less consistent, which is why we see way more wardens.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame
    Easy win and an easy game. I play mostly DKs and Plars and trust me it takes a lot more work to get a kill using one them.

One of my gerbils tried a warden in a BG and got top damage and kills!!! Add some lovely procs sbd the immortality goal will be achieved...tanky and doing a ton of free damage
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually love the themes.

The other classes dont seemed to be well defined (which is another way of saying a lacking kit)

I also like Pets, so sorc comes after them
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've played a necro or its equivalent in every MMO ever. Started with a Sorc in ESO, it was the closest thing to a Necro.

I play both mag and stam with them, repsec'ing back and forth as I get bored.
  • Vanagrand
    Vanagrand
    ✭✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame
    Magcro is not in the best spot. It lacks a bit of damage against decent people(procs prob will fix it). But after been playing with my magdk, trying diferent setups, trying molten with resto, lash with vampire, molten with deep breath... The major problem was always the same. You are always out of magicka. Wanting to kill myself when i play against stamden o magplars i tested magcro and i love it. I can kite, survive with the hots and turn to drop my combo and kill some randoms who where zerging without renewing buffs.
    I tested magden also but found it to carry. Magcro is far funnier than magden for me(the combo is quite tricky to land it right).
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have both, but rarely play either. Stamden just feels brainless IMO. No offence to anyone that enjoys it. I find stamcro very clunky to play with blastbones being buggy and having to spam tethers to have them connect. I don't have a huge issue with either tbh, though I do think wardens typically over perform. More so in their ability to survive. Having arctic do so much would be my main complaint.
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame
    Most people who actively play them won't dare to say they would only do it because of the metagame, which is why so many people "like" the class outside of power. Wardens are especially boring in their rotation but it just works. They just lie to themselves to feel better than they actually are.

Playing anything else than Warden or Necro will just put you miles below them no matter if you have 5 more years experience.
    Edited by L_Nici on May 28, 2021 9:23AM
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame
    I don't enjoy using plants and animals to fight, but Stamdens are so strong so I still use my Stamden in PvP when I want to relax and enjoy easy mode.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two choices kind of run together.

The appeal of many skills depends on their effectiveness, or that they have a tangible impact on gameplay.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame
    The two choices kind of run together. The appeal of many skills depends on their effectiveness, or that they have a tangible impact on gameplay.
    Would "adapt to the meta" versus "play how you like" have worked better for you? Either way it's super sad to see so many players throwing aside their preferred class in order to be more competitive. The PvP floor/ceiling gap is insane and more hostile to casuals than ever, no matter how many cast times and faction locks they add.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two choices kind of run together. The appeal of many skills depends on their effectiveness, or that they have a tangible impact on gameplay.
    Would "adapt to the meta" versus "play how you like" have worked better for you? Either way it's super sad to see so many players throwing aside their preferred class in order to be more competitive. The PvP floor/ceiling gap is insane and more hostile to casuals than ever, no matter how many cast times and faction locks they add.

Maybe? It's not so much adapting to the meta as it is adapting to unnecessary and ill thought out nerfs.

The reason I don't play my main is not so much because it's not as effective as I'd like (although that certainly is part of it), it's that the class has gotten so much blander over the years. I don't mind playing at a slight mechanical disadvantage (my magplar has been a nord from the beginning), I do mind when those mechanical disadvantages accompany dulled down gameplay.

In a PvP environment it's *really* asking a lot for players to play the builds that they'd like to because players are not as accommodating as NPCs that do not punish you for not min-maxing. Even if you're not super competitive, how often will people with emotions subject themselves to the cycle of dying, constantly taking horse rides, losing keeps, etc.? About the only way I'd tolerate this is if the class I played was at least fun to play or had some interesting and unique gameplay mechanics that other classes have no access to. Neither are obviously have been on ZOS's radar for years, so that's why I'll either play a sorcerer (Streak is one of the few abilities left that fulfills the above criteria) or Warden/Necro.
    Edited by Joy_Division on May 28, 2021 5:24PM
  • Scallan
    Scallan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warden aesthetics are my favorite in the game honestly. They're just so pretty, and each skill line has really cool effects. I love the foresty feel, the wild beast feel, and the frost feel.

Honestly the only thing that would make me not play the class so much is if they ever released an Ocean/Aqua based class, but I doubt that will ever happen sadly.

The fact that they're pretty decent is also really cool but I'd still play them if they weren't.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other:

why not play every class and race???
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powerful in the metagame

I mean it´s not like zos made it hard for people.
    They nerfed the everloving snip out of the old classes while introducing warden and necro.

So old preferred classes no longer played like they once did - and on top sth new came along that while it wasn´t as much fun atleast was effective...
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vanagrand wrote: »
    Magcro is not in the best spot. It lacks a bit of damage against decent people(procs prob will fix it). But after been playing with my magdk, trying diferent setups, trying molten with resto, lash with vampire, molten with deep breath... The major problem was always the same. You are always out of magicka. Wanting to kill myself when i play against stamden o magplars i tested magcro and i love it. I can kite, survive with the hots and turn to drop my combo and kill some randoms who where zerging without renewing buffs.
    I tested magden also but found it to carry. Magcro is far funnier than magden for me(the combo is quite tricky to land it right).

That is where magcro shines....trigger a group to attack you, turn and unleash a truly massive aoe combo. I still find the class clunky to play though. It has no "flow".

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You forgot option 3: "I don't play them, because I don't like the classes." I find warden boring and did not buy necro. Yeah, I have a magden, but she's not doing much. She had a race change and was a stamden for a while in the past. Nope, not for me.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB