The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Normal Group Dungeons, Rushing, and Quests

Anachronia
In Group Dungeons, there is a quest that each character can complete once in order to gain one skill point. Sometimes this would require slowing down the dungeon run in order for characters who have not yet completed the quest to experience the dialogue of the quest. However, when doing Group Dungeons, rushing through a dungeon can get one to completion faster, but this can interfere with the flow of the quest, and also interrupt or skip the dialogue of the quest.
This discussion was posted both as a question, and a request to the community.
First, the question:
  • Is rushing when requested to not do so against The Elder Scrolls Online Terms of Service, due to it potentially being a violation of the Rules of Conduct?
  • Under the Rules of Conduct:
    You agree not to access, receive, play or use any Service to: Engage in disruptive behavior in chat areas, game areas, forums, or any other area or aspect of the Services. Examples of disruptive behavior include, but are not limited to, conduct which interferes with the normal flow of gameplay or dialogue within a Service, vulgar language, abusiveness, hitting the return key repeatedly or inputting large images so the screen goes by too fast to read, use of excessive shouting [i.e., all text in capitals] in an attempt to disturb other users, "spamming" or flooding [i.e., posting repetitive text], commercial postings, solicitations and advertisements, posting advertising or promotional messaging, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or other commercial activities.
  • https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/terms-of-service
The question is mostly out of curiosity, generally when asked to I've found players to be accommodating to allow for players to go through the dialogue and complete the quest. I understand that there are time constraints, such as experience scrolls, ambrosia, or doing random group dungeons on multiple characters, but I would like to request that when a player encounters someone that says they are doing the quest or asks that we not rush the dungeon, that we try to accommodate them.

That is all, thank you for your time in reading this post.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do not believe rushing through a dungeon is against the TOS. The groups I have been in will normally slow down if someone asks if they are on the quest. Only exceptions are Vaults of Madness, Tempest Island, and Banished Cells because the dialogue is so long. Tempest is the worst as there is the killing of all the adds on the beach AND long dialogue. But even still, if the group is okay with it, we'll probably wait.

However, I have been in normal dungeons where players take advantage of this. They will loot every possible barrel, crate, etc. slowing down the group, and then get angry when the group moves on without them. Or, the incredibly rare player who wants to read every book or letter in the dungeon before moving on. While I don't report these people as I don't believe its against the TOS, these people routinely get vote kicked by the group. Accommodations go both ways.
  • KaGaOri
    KaGaOri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rushing through dungeon isn't against the rules, just like slogging through it isn't against the rules. You may have to find yourself premade group to get full dialogue experience (or solo it). Most people have done all dungeons many times over the years and aren't interested in listening to the same stuff for millionth time.

That said, personally find people rushing through (normal) dungeons to the point one can't complete the quest at all (starting next boss before quest NPC turns up to update the quest, skipping bosses necessary for the quest, going directly to the final boss, etc) insanely rude. Especially after asking them nicely to slow down since you're doing quest.
  • darjobuno
    darjobuno
    ✭✭✭
    As a Vet/HM capable Dungeon and Trial Tank I can make you this promise. IF SOMEONE REQUESTS TO DO THE QUESTS and members of the party be they random or guildies choose to ignore that person's request to do the quest and slow down. I will IGNORE the rushers permanently. Ignored players will never be grouped together on instances. And random groups form off of tanks. I think it only fair that folks who shrug their shoulders at good gaming edicate by ignoring requests be ignored in kind.

As always this is my opinion and my right as a player. It's not up for debate or argument you will not convince me that rushing through is the right thing to do when someone is trying to read quests, books, and do completion for the first time. If you do not like that fact no worries. You will only group with me once and never again. If other tanks decide to take this stance and you start having 2 hour queues because you are off rushing all the time. Well... Not my problem.
    No longer swimming upstream
  • LordProteus
    Quests should not be in dungeons at all, they should be outside them. The manner in which Dungeon quests are done in ESO is completely incompetent. it is almost unheard of for me to be able to successfully hand one in at the end of a dungeon because I get disconnected from the server during the NPC conversation and then I get removed from the dungeon before I can get back to the quest giver.

I cannot believe dungeon quests were designed this way at all, let alone kept this way for so long. It's like whoever designed them has not played the game or any other MMO and does not understand that this kind of thing is not viable in an online game that relies on other players.
  • rauyran
    rauyran
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quests should not be in dungeons at all, they should be outside them. The manner in which Dungeon quests are done in ESO is completely incompetent. it is almost unheard of for me to be able to successfully hand one in at the end of a dungeon because I get disconnected from the server during the NPC conversation and then I get removed from the dungeon before I can get back to the quest giver.

I cannot believe dungeon quests were designed this way at all, let alone kept this way for so long. It's like whoever designed them has not played the game or any other MMO and does not understand that this kind of thing is not viable in an online game that relies on other players.

This sounds like a problem with your connection. It's not normal to be disconnected from the server at the end of dungeons. There is a countdown timer when you are the last group member in the dungeon but that seems to be something you are already aware of.
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    KaGaOri wrote: »
    That said, personally find people rushing through (normal) dungeons to the point one can't complete the quest at all (starting next boss before quest NPC turns up to update the quest, skipping bosses necessary for the quest, going directly to the final boss, etc) insanely rude. Especially after asking them nicely to slow down since you're doing quest.

Or pulling the boss outside of the quest objective range... Apparently if you kill the final boss in some dungeons OUTSIDE of the quest circle, it won't update the quest. Luckily, on my main at least, I do the tank role so if I know someone is doing the quest, I will almost always pull the boss back to their original position for the people on the quest, and also try my best to control the flow of the dungeon between the rushers in the group and the quest players. If I feel like we are leaving people behind too much, I'll try to pull in extra mobs or separate the mobs a little to force the rushers to spend a little more time to kill them, for example.
  • xXSilverDragonXx
    xXSilverDragonXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO should revamp some of these quests. They are tedious to do. Selene's is a headache. Wrapping up Banished I seems like it takes forever. It was idiotic for them to not consider that groups joining dungeons don't want to stand there and wait, wait, wait for characters to STFU so you can move on with the dungeon. The writing is terrible. They always teach to be succinct when writing. That is not something I see in the dungeon quests, a place where being succinct is most necessary. To their credit, they seem to have recognized this as I have not seen one instance of having to update in any quest in the DLC dungeons. In fact, the character run along with you and speak in all that I can remember, which actually makes them more fun and not tedioua at all. The NPCs even help with explaining mechanics. Again. awesome. Perhaps they should go back to the original and update them so that the dialogue is very succinct and you don't have to update. Make them more like DLC. Shorten dialogues. Eliminate updates that are required, and for the love of God, Make Cirion move his lazy slow butt in Banished I. For all the drama in there, this guy wasn't very slow to the quest update marker. The you have to wait and wait and wait for the dialgue. OMFG. Please fix that.

Putting quests in dungeons is really bizarre. Dungeons are fast paced and slowing for quests that can be irritatingly verbose is pretty frustating. Fix them like most if not all DLC so you don't have to wait ever and can keep moving.

My groups always slow for someone doing a quest. But really I ask, why is this even part of the design of dungeons? Why is there not a solo version players can do for the quests with or without the skill point? If they want the skill point for completion of the Group dungeon, then do it like the group boss in the public dungeons. Then players who care about the quests can do them solo. You would find very fast that a small minority would do the actual quests in solo dungeons if there was no skill point involved. That speaks volumes to the design.
    Edited by xXSilverDragonXx on March 7, 2022 9:57PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Considering Zenimax recently gave control of the pace of a dungoen to the fastest player by porting everyone to a boss when one person engages it, I doubt Zenimax will do anything about player speedrunning a dungeon. '

If someone wants to pay attention to the quest dialogue they should form a group of like-minded players to do the dungeon.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Considering Zenimax recently gave control of the pace of a dungoen to the fastest player by porting everyone to a boss when one person engages it, I doubt Zenimax will do anything about player speedrunning a dungeon. '

If someone wants to pay attention to the quest dialogue they should form a group of like-minded players to do the dungeon.

the "joining encounter in progress" actually doesnt work in most of the non dlc dungeons, it only works when its behind some kind of door or place that "locks" to prevent people from walking in

for example in city of ash 1, the only boss i think that *might* do a join in progress is the final boss, the other ones definitely do not have that (i tried to utilize this when i was running my 2nd acct through dungeons with my main acct, was hoping it was less work than manually moving both characters which is tough on 2 separate computers lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "the "joining encounter in progress" actually doesnt work in most of the non dlc dungeons, it only works when its behind some kind of door or place that "locks" to prevent people from walking in

for example in city of ash 1, the only boss i think that *might* do a join in progress is the final boss, the other ones definitely do not have that (i tried to utilize this when i was running my 2nd acct through dungeons with my main acct, was hoping it was less work than manually moving both characters which is tough on 2 separate computers lol)"

Yeah, I'm 90% sure it's only DLC dungeons. I'm map impaired and get totally lost if the rest of the party gets ahead of me. When lost, I really appreciate being placed with the rest of the party. What I don't appreciate is when I one yolo drags the rest of the group along from boss to boss without pausing for, well anything...
    PS5/NA