The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Are wardens killing Cyrodiil?

DrSlaughtr
DrSlaughtr
✭✭✭✭✭
Topic says it all.

I play on NA XB. Currently the servers are dominated by wardens. Entire alliances are zerging with 99% wardens and it makes others choose to either jump on the netch train or struggle bus with their preferred base game classes.

My stamwarden is my second class I play and the only thing that keeps me from playing it more is how stupidly easy it is.

One campaign is so dominated by one alliance's nearly universal use of the class that people are quitting left and right.

What do you think? Share your opinions below. Please be respectful.
I drink and I stream things.
Twitch: DrSlaughtr
YouTube: DrSlaughtr
Facebook: DrSlaughtr
Twitter: DrSlaughtr
TikTok: DrSlaughtr

Are wardens killing Cyrodiil? 94 votes

Yea
41%
fastolfv_ESOSolarikenKayshamartinhpb16_ESOEndriuWingDrSlaughtrRhaegar75DerraSaepioHetairaZer0_CooLSleep724Abyssmolmethod__01Anyronred_emujssriotAki-Ralmaster_vanargand 39 votes
Nay
58%
BeeKingAlurriadaniel.13b16_ESOXelyumIzanagi.Xiiib16_ESODTStormfoxTigorWolfpawSahidomKwoungKartalinItoqTBoisValarMorghulis1896six2fallSanctum74Freakin_HytteThe_LexSandman929Sylosi 55 votes
  • Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    I'm usually killed by sorcs hitting from range with a 10k frags.
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea
    Absolutely, warden groups everywhere

At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PC/NA, I'd say the bad performance update after update is killing Cyrodiil and driving players to quit. Wardens are just a convenient fall guy.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this ^
    he is correct,
    sorcerers are the highest in damage and defenses.
    wardens are second place behind sorcerer.

Edited by Gilvoth on May 21, 2021 5:18PM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea
    Gilvoth wrote: »

this ^
    he is correct,
    sorcerers are the highest in damage and defenses.
    wardens are second place behind sorcerer.

I getcha but respectfully disagree.

IMO sorcs have weaknesses that can be used to counter them. Are they strong? Yes, but they aren't dumb easy. It takes a good player to master a sorc.

Wardens were designed to be able to do everything well, and has some of the best skills in the game. They shrug off dots with no effort or resource cost. They're either number one or a close number two to DKs in tankiness, they have the best heals in the game, and their damage output can rival any class.

If any other class rivaled them in ease of use AND killing ability AND tankiness we'd be seeing armies of those classes.

I know arctic/polar wind is getting a bit of a nerf but the two skills I have the most issues with are netch and sub assault.

Netch is a free purge and resource restore. There's nothing close. Necro has a powerful cleanse as well but it at least costs something.

Sub assault gives no warning cone AND goes through walls AND goes through ceilings. I've been on third floors and gotten killed by a sub assault on the bottom floor. It's dodgable if you see the warden throw it but that isn't always easy to see in the heat of a battle.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yea
    On PC/NA, I'd say the bad performance update after update is killing Cyrodiil and driving players to quit. Wardens are just a convenient fall guy.
    The performance has been horrible for seven years. Ban warden. Ban necro.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then you should be a Warden and use Shimmering Shield.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Cyro is undead... :|
  • Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay

Then you should be a Warden and use Shimmering Shield.

yeah, good luck as a stamden keeping up shimmering against a sorc that constantly hits you from range with skill/skill/frag/skill/skill/frag and streaks away when you try to close gap

• Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Delayed damage is a bit more lag friendly in that once you set up your delayed damage you generally have a better chance of getting off another high damage skill or ult roughly around the same time your delay goes off.

The warden bugs are a popular choice because they have a stamina morph, and stamina is very strong at the moment. All classes have access to some delayed damage via Magicka Detonation and it's morphs, though magicka isnt in the best place PVP wise. That being said, Ive seen some massive damage coming out of Inevitable Detonation lately, but I think its mostly glass cannon builds doing that.

Arctic blast's heal is getting cut by a significant amount next patch and the return of proc sets may make magicka users and their Proxys more relevant to the meta.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Wardens are simply a strong class and synergies very well with stamina.
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    I guess they do some killing in cyrodill, like the other classes.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of Wardens in Cyrodiil, but the thing that is killing Cyrodiil is the the same thing that was killing it before Wardens were introduced.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nay
    No Zos is killing Cyrodill with the poor performance.

• DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    No Zos is killing Cyrodill with the poor performance.

Always been poor performance so long as I can remember. Things changed with Flames when class imbalances could no longer hide behind proc sets.
  • CSose
    CSose
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Zenimax is killing cyrodiil. I don't think they are even trying to fix performance issues. I would expect there to be some improvements if they were trying.
  • Arbiter7070
    Arbiter7070
    ✭✭✭
    Yea
    There are a lot of factors killing Cyrodiil. Wardens for sure play a part in this. They are easily the strongest class in the game and the no proc environment has exposed this even more. But Cyrodiil's performance is what's truly killing it imo. There are some nights where it's downright unplayable with lag, desyncs etc. It doesn't help with the massive ball groups spamming aoe's. My lag goes through the roof when a ball group approaches. If Cyrodiil performance was better then I think more people would love to play it.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Wardens are strong, necros are strong. I wish other classes got positive attention rather than a couple of classes get negative attention
  • Berchelous
    Berchelous
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's accept the fact that cyrodiil is beyond trash and even the most op class cannot counter lag.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea
    Not because they'd be unbalanced or OP. But because each time i have a would be 1v1 encounter in cyro, instead of fighting the oponent runs away, ten out of ten times its a warden. Like they rather spend 10 minutes runing away than actually playing the game.
    Edited by Zer0_CooL on May 28, 2021 10:29AM
  • Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    I think you are referring to sorcs.
    Warden usually fight or do the benny hill around an obstacle, the one running (streaking) away are sorcs
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea
    Nah mate those wardens are even worse. Just yesterday this guy ran from blueroad all the way back to arrius.
    Another time i saw a fellow mate 1vs 3 at nickels so helped him out, when we got 2 down the last remaining (a warden) ran all the way back to carmala.
    They always run when loosing.
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Morning-/day- capping is killing cyro, wardens are fine.
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nukk3r wrote: »

Half of the cyro pop is artic blast spammers and you claim wardens are fine? Lol
    EU | PC
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil issues in order:

• Dumb tests on live servers.
    • Toilet server performance and reliability.
    • Unbalanced faction populations due to all of the above.
    • A handful of overturned sets.
    • Sweaty playstyle (Xv1 tower campers)
    • Class imbalance.
    • Class overpopulation.

Warden overpopulation is waaaaay down on the list of problems the zone has right now.
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Master_Kas wrote: »

Half of the cyro pop is artic blast spammers and you claim wardens are fine? Lol

It's not like a warden could kill a warden, especially magicka ones.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea

People shouldn't be forced to play the meta class because of it's over performance.

There are ten other warden complaint posts on the pvp and alliance war boards. Warden players need to really consider just how ridiculously overpowered they are right now and even with the nerf to arctic it's not gonna change.

They don't need to be nerfed to death. That's not even a realistic possibility. They don't want to make those who paid for it mad or discourage others from buying it. But it very much can be balanced with some slight adjustments.

The other things players are saying are killing Cyrodiil are old issues. Server performance has been an ongoing issue for years. Same with tower games and unbalanced factions.

We are hemorrhaging players left and right because they're tired of being mowed down by 30 unkillable wardens and don't want to be forced to play one as well.
    Edited by DrSlaughtr on May 28, 2021 4:28PM
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay

People shouldn't be forced to play the meta class because of it's over performance.

There are ten other warden complaint posts on the pvp and alliance war boards. Warden players need to really consider just how ridiculously overpowered they are right now and even with the nerf to arctic it's not gonna change.

They don't need to be nerfed to death. That's not even a realistic possibility. They don't want to make those who paid for it mad or discourage others from buying it. But it very much can be balanced with some slight adjustments.

The other things players are saying are killing Cyrodiil are old issues. Server performance has been an ongoing issue for years. Same with tower games and unbalanced factions.

We are hemorrhaging players left and right because they're tired of being mowed down by 30 unkillable wardens and don't want to be forced to play one as well.

I highly doubt that wardens are the real reason players are leaving. Sorcs have been OP for years and no one left the game because of them. When Crimson was a thing no one said that DKs are killing cyro. Thing is PvP players in general will abuse any tool available to them if it gives even the smallest advantage. What really needs to be addressed is that any stamina class outshines magicka in PvP. There's no advantage in playing mag unless you're playing in a ball group or playing an overload sorc, riding a desync wave.

Also WDYM paid for it? Warden comes with Standard Edition. All classes are paid for since it's a B2P game.
  • Tigor
    Tigor
    ✭✭✭
    Nay
    Maybe Wardens are the most complete class...
    GM - Decimation Elite - Ebonheart Pact - Ravenwatch EU/PC - aka Tigor (AR50), Leopard Tank (AR50) , Captain-Caveman (AR50), Tigors Claw (AR50), -Bud Spencer (AR38+)
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea
    Tigor wrote: »
    Maybe Wardens are the most complete class...

That's the issue. They're great at everything and have no weaknesses.