The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Harrowstorms are deadly because the Shrike AOE attacks don't match where they damage you

PizzaCat82
PizzaCat82
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I've died to these (and watched others die) countless times because they simply do not match where the damage occurs.

You could be right next to them, and die. You could be several feet away, and die.

Combined with the general lag that occurs due to Harrowstorm farming and these are RIPE to take out people.

Is it annoying? Yes. Is it gamebreaking? Not really. Some small repair bills and a bruised ego really.

• phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    11 hits in a matter of seconds, if your heal is on the other bar you don't live long enough to swap bars and cast. More health probably wouldn't help either as even my tanky chars gets walloped with 55,000+ damage. Working as intended.
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is the typical AOE issue with ESO since...2016.

Your character is outside of the aoe by a few meters, the server does not register it and you still take damage.

The Shrike AOE is just making the issue more obvious, it will never get "fixed".

Plan ahead, move way out of the AOE and you should be fine.
    mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    11 hits in a matter of seconds, if your heal is on the other bar you don't live long enough to swap bars and cast. More health probably wouldn't help either as even my tanky chars gets walloped with 55,000+ damage. Working as intended.

If they were easily avoided I would not have a problem with the almost insta-death involved.

But like I said, I have died trying to dodge them because they simply ARENT where they appear to be.
  • Sahqon
    Sahqon
    ✭✭✭
    In any larger group settings (multiple people killing storms/anchors/wb/dungeon bosses) my red aoe indicators randomly turn off, that's also deadly. When there is an indicator I haven't noticed it not being right, but often there isn't. Then I just have to run around and hope I'm not standing in aoe too long...

And then sometimes it lags and my health is not shown draining away, just 100-to-0% in a second, but recap shows me being hit by a bunch of things, surely not all at once. Meh, just rez and go on my business like usual. It's a lot worse in dungeons because it can mean a wipe, but I'm not doing trials now and 4 man dungeons bug out rarely...

Harrowstorms though, with the current farming it's impossible to see the attacks even if they actually show up, because everything gets lost in the fireworks.
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overuse of red lighting and atmospheric effects...AOE marker is a red circle.

Well played :)
  • Sahqon
    Sahqon
    ✭✭✭
    And I just remembered that we are going to Oblivion this year :smiley:

That red circle will be even more useless.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're dodge-rolling out of this, remember that the game registers you as where you started until you land. So if you're 99% done with a roll, just waiting for the second foot to get firmly planted in place when the tick/explosion happens, you die.

And yes, that is absolutely horrible design.
    Edited by MasterSpatula on May 17, 2021 8:35PM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harrowstorms are 100% my least favourite piece of content ever added to ESO. They are widly imbalanced in favour of 20 people showing up, which only happens during events, and even then its so laggy you can't see your AoE markers on the ground, meaning you're going to be hit by all these cheap 40,000 hits that 1 hko anything that isn't a tank.

Then to top it off you spend 20 minutes on the fight to get 1:1 the same crap you could get out of a Dolmen in literally any other zone except with a different set name on it... The reward to time benefit is nonsense.
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • cheriella
    cheriella
    ✭✭✭
    This is how I feel with harrows, dragons and some world bosses… randomly dying from big damage with no chance to avoid. I’m just like .. ‘huh where did that damage come from? No animation no circle no nothing .. jus splat.. 😪”
    < 3 • ESO: Cherry-xo • Steam: cheriella • My Screenshots below < 3
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They spam so much aoe that you can't really dodge it all. Also why IS THEIR DAMAGE SO HIGH? Their damage honestly feels glitched as you take 50k damage over a second in aoe, getting hit like 5 times in under a second from a circle.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I think you can go into settings and turn it pink.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

I think you can go into settings and turn it pink.

I do this, but even then, there's so much AOE on the ground that it's sometimes just straight-up impossible to keep out of all of it, and you can't tell the merely-bad from the even-one-toe-in-the-red-for-a-tenth-of-a-second-does-50K.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At least their AOEs show up now. I'm playing on PS4 and for moooonths I've had to just guess where their attacks were coming from. Carrion Swarm was the worst, because it creeps around, and not even the crows were displaying.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Shrikes just need to be nerfed or have their AoE interruptible.
    Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Slot silver leash and run around chaining the ghosts. They'll never reach the pikes, and the shrikes will never spawn. :)
  • Eccentric_Vampire
    Eccentric_Vampire
    ✭✭✭
    I usually use time stop to stun lost souls before enough of them get to the pikes to spawn a shrike. I've recently switched enemy attack colours to bright magenta which helps if one spawns, but oftentimes the aoe indicator shows up too late. I'm not sure if that's because I'm Australian, the sheer amount of people doing harrowstorms or if it's just broken.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I chaged my circles to hot pink and target the souls first when I'm there. I'm not about to solo any of this nonsense so I take on the role of clean up on these lost souls. Caltrops and bombard make it quick work.
    PCNA
    PCEU