The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do you get HPS up?

eternalshockcable
eternalshockcable
✭✭✭
Hi, I'm running a dedicated healer just need some info.

What CP and gear do I need to run for the fat heal ticks?
Trying to get my HPS up.

Please provide CP placement and gear name & tool tips.

thanks,
-theshockcabletv
Edited by eternalshockcable on May 13, 2021 7:42PM
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like onions, you need layers. 😂
    Stack healing spells!

It is not a good idea to spec into HPS. At least purely. Providing Sustain help and Buffing are the main focus of healers in ESO. Healing is a secondary priority. And any hps that exceeds 5k will result in overhealing most likely and use nobody, except you are using Spell Power Cure.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stack healing spells!

It is not a good idea to spec into HPS. At least purely. Providing Sustain help and Buffing are the main focus of healers in ESO. Healing is a secondary priority. And any hps that exceeds 5k will result in overhealing most likely and use nobody, except you are using Spell Power Cure.

Can not stack springs anymore
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stack healing spells!

👀 Average healer doesn't do 5k hps unless looking at raw healing on logs.

🤦‍♀️ I want to kick anyone below 3k hps though cause it really does make a difference when partner hangs below that in unorganized trials
    Edited by Starlight_Whisper on May 14, 2021 5:57AM
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well to answer question cause healer could be pvp too guys 😝.

Stack heal over times and burst it. Cause zos doesn't realize how cheap sustain is for healers stack spell damage from there. Winter respite seems really popular for hps healers. It's like non meta set I see all the time.
    Edited by Starlight_Whisper on May 14, 2021 10:10AM
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that there are tons of guides for DPS, but only a handful of good ones for healers and tanks. It mostly like this:
    My stats...
    My sets...
    My skills...
    Thx for watching! .......🤦‍♂️
    Stack heal over times and burst it. Cause zos doesn't realize how cheap sustain is for healers stack spell damage from there.
    This is basically what I meant.

But @eternalshockcable asked for advice, how to increase hps. Putting it simply ramp up your spell damage and max magicka as much as you can. Then, there is a character effect, that is called "healing done". Get as much as you can of it as well. Non class sources include
    • lines in set pieces (there are a lot of healer sets that have them; most META sets do not)
    • Passives from the Resto Staff Line
    • Abilities
    • The Ritual Mundus
    After that there is also the "healing received" effect. Which you can sometimes provide to your groupmates, but is generally required to be activated by your groupmates. Notable non Class sources are:
    • Menders Ward (Blackrose Resto)
    • Hollowfang Thirst (Moongrave Fane)
    Nightblade, Warden, Necro and Templar also have build in group healing, that you could utilise. But since you didn't specify what you are running, a general help is all at this point.

The irony is that with the new CP system, you are a better healer, when you ignore the healing CP nodes and just use standard Damage ones and/or take more of the stat increasing nodes, be they active or passive ones.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like with high DPS, sets and build will only get you so far. Typically, it comes down to rotation and HPS is no exception.
  • eternalshockcable
    eternalshockcable
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome everyone thank you, for the advice!
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not about HPS, it's about timing your heals correctly through the battle.

You don't really need much HPS to overheal a target. Unless you're talking about PvP, where healing is cut, there thicc heals are more valuable.
  • Draxund
    Draxund
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that there are tons of guides for DPS, but only a handful of good ones for healers and tanks. It mostly like this:
    My stats...
    My sets...
    My skills...

THANK you! I see this a lot too... especially when you get to the typical "rotation" section of most guides, they simply say "no rotation--healing is dynamic, DUH." Well of course it's dynamic at times, but most players are relying on some type of foundational skill rotation/arrangement for various situations. I just wish more guides went into that aspect. For instance, here's what I do when approaching most trash packs, or here's what I do approaching most bosses, etc. I assume people have a plan in mind for which healing skill or HoTs they throw down first, etc. I've really been trying to read healing guides and strategies but found them to be a bit lackluster compared to the DPS and tank guides out there.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Draxund wrote: »
    My stats...
    My sets...
    My skills...

THANK you! I see this a lot too... especially when you get to the typical "rotation" section of most guides, they simply say "no rotation--healing is dynamic, DUH." Well of course it's dynamic at times, but most players are relying on some type of foundational skill rotation/arrangement for various situations. I just wish more guides went into that aspect. For instance, here's what I do when approaching most trash packs, or here's what I do approaching most bosses, etc. I assume people have a plan in mind for which healing skill or HoTs they throw down first, etc. I've really been trying to read healing guides and strategies but found them to be a bit lackluster compared to the DPS and tank guides out there.

Well, to address your desire for "what do I do in [various] situation" type answers, I think this is a fair generalization for what most Healers do (in general PvE, at least):

Are your allies mobile, scattered? Use things like Radiating Regeneration and Minor Lifesteal to keep health bars topped up (since it "sticks" to players as they flail around the area uncontrollably), keep a burst heal/savetheirass type skill handy like Breath of Life or Ward Ally in case someone catches an axe with their face or bursts into flames or whatever (bonus points for skills that don't require you to target the ally, for those split-second quick-save "OH ****" moments where you're not even sure what happened but you just saw a health bar plummet), then just focus more on supporting the team with things like any buffs/debuffs you're supplying, synergies you're offering, DPS you're contributing, and things like that. This should mostly only be going on during add pulls and stuff -- if your team is dancing all around the arena during boss fights (barring mechanics and whatnot that dictate it), then that's kind of on them. As a Healer, you're generally not expected to have to turn and move and constantly try to target idiots allies that are all over the place doing their absolute best to avoid being in your support zone; you're better off doing your thing normally at the rear-flank of a boss so people get the idea of where they should be at for proper positioning. Focus your efforts on healing your tank and people who are where they're supposed to be, and help out stragglers/wanderers secondarily; draining all your resources trying to maintain two or more support zones is usually a fool's errand. Usually...

Are your allies stacked, stationary? Apply buffs that matter first (so like your own Major/Minor Sorcery/Brutality, Major/Minor Courage, Berserker enchant if you run it, etc.) so that the skills you're about to cast are stronger from the get-go (many skills adjust their damage/healing based on your current buffs/power dynamically, but others do not; so always buff up first when possible!). Put down your stationary AoE healing/support skills (like Illustrious Healing, Luminous Shards, Refreshing Path, etc.) once it appears that the tank is positioned and not moving the boss(es) around anymore, cycle through basically every other skill you intend to cast off cooldown (so non-situational casts like Combat Prayer, Wall of Elements, Elemental Drain, etc.; obviously don't just cast the situational stuff like Breath of Life, Crushing Shock, Charging Maneuver and whatnot just for the heck of it), and then it's mostly just keeping all the plates spinning. Aim for recasting skills as close to just after the previous cast has hit zero as you possibly can (to minimize downtime and also minimize over-casting), and just keep your buffs/debuffs up as close to 100% of the time as you can manage. Make sure you're throwing synergies as much as needed, and into an obtainable position for who needs it (like throw your first Shards closer to a boss' front so that the Tank can grab the synergy easily, then throw the next cast closer to the back for the DDs, for example). Do whatever is required to keep any set bonuses procced if you're using things like Winter's Respite or Roaring Opportunist or whatever. Toot your Warhorn if you're running that, and otherwise just attempt to time your Ultimate casts staggered from the Tank (if nothing else, just for practice / "muscle" memory's sake). And don't die! Especially when starting out, it can be easy to get focused on supporting the team and forgetting to stand in your own heals & whatnot; aim your ground heals in such a way that you're on the back/outer edge of their area, and the Tank is inside the opposite edge (plus a little margin of wiggle room). You generally want the team to stack within a formation that's <90% of the area of an Illustrious Healing circle, so that any meaningful buffs/casts reach from you to the Tank with no change in positioning -- and YOU are most responsible for that as the healer, since you position yourself in relation to where the Tank settles. DDs should typically know to be between you and the Boss, and the Boss is between them and the Tank; you know, in a perfect fantasy world, anyway! ;P

Other people might have a super strict rotation that they follow, even for their healers, though I'm not sure how they'd manage that effectively. But personally, I just don't wanna play the game like that in the first place; kind of kills the fun entirely for me if I feel like I'm trying to follow a formula like I'm about to perform rocket surgery or something. I generally follow those loose guidelines above, and more or less wing it. Most healers I've talked to do something awfully similar. Buff up, lay down the pain... err... healing, and just keep up all the support you intend to provide. Once you get a fairly stacked build together, you'll have so many buffs, and heals, and damage whatnots in your kit that you'll have your hands full trying to keep it all going with the highest uptime possible. That really fills the bulk of your time/attention as a Healer, in my experience.

The dynamic part of healing comes in when someone does something super inconsiderate like take damage or whatever, and you have to break flow to fix them up right quick. Or you have to Interrupt a priority target, because your DDs are super busy Light Attacking (and nothing else) an unimportant enemy in the corner and the Tank has their hands full. Or there's just so much incoming damage for the whole group that you need to forget your damage skills and just pour all the healing out that you can muster to keep everyone alive until the DDs clear things out. Random situations like that usually are what fall on the Healer to carry the group through, and shatter any possibility of a nice neat set rotation. That's also when those other "situational" casts come in and wreck any set rotation you'd otherwise have because you kind of have to think on your feet. You basically wanna make sure everyone's safe...ish and then get back to pouring on the buffs/debuffs and whatnot asap; actual healing (like, restoring health) is kind of an "only if I have to" sort of deal in most fights since you only want to apply as little as is needed. All while making sure you're not forgetting anything kind of important, like boss mechanics or your own resources/health bar or anything like that.

I hope that all helps. Sorry for the atrocious formatting, trying to type quickish over here. :P
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stack heals. Frankly, recovery and max magicka are more important though. I prefer casting a healing spell twice if I need to get someone from 1% to 100% rather than do it in one go. Overhealing is easy in ESO and it's a waste of resources. If you regain your magicka faster you can cast more buff / group utility spells or throw in several prayers in a pinch.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stack healing spells!

I would add that in no game that I played was HPS important since overhealing is useless. EHPS is what is important and in ESO it seems that there is more to healing than just healing. The content I am doing DPS is part of healing but I expect in raids that buffs and debuffs are just as important as healing.