The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please add Brightness Intensity for Lighting

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
There are a few lights that I really love but can't place where I want them because they are either too dim, or more often too bright. I would love to see an intensity option added to the "on" and "off" toggle that already exists. The options could then be "low", "medium", "high", "off" .

Please consider this.
Edited by SilverBride on May 13, 2021 7:21PM
PCNA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This would be a great improvement to housing. Having to choose a certain style light just because it is bright instead of another more preferable style is a poor choice but necessary sometimes.

Also, it would be great if we had some sort of control over the ambient light in houses so we could increase it or decrease it.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    All "old" lights needs a massive overhaul
    Here some tests from Dawnlight palace at night
    9bcsj00ov4xz.jpg

f0bbjgzwaktt.jpg

i3tbv9i10kbo.jpg

66yee30r05u7.jpg
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same problems. Being able to choose the brightness would help with that a lot.
    PCNA
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would settle for bigger range on lights. Most of the base game lights have a one or two meter radius. It is just too low.

You can set a dozen lights on one side of a room and the other side is still dark and damp like a mushroom cave.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since there are no furnishing plans for the new Dwarven sconces and chandeliers, I bought some of the old plans thinking a darker metal wouldn’t be noticeable. Those old Dwarven lighting furnishings put out so much less light than the new ones. The sconce has more light coming out the back than the front. Totally not workable. I wasted a few hundred thousand gold finding that out.

I would like quite a few of the new lights but the prices in crowns in the housing editor are not cheap.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One trick you can pull is to hide "good" lights with a better radius/color/etc. in surfaces or objects near the light you prefer the aesthetic of. So say you really like some stylish lamp that gives off pitiful light; you turn it off, then try to find a creative way to finagle a better light source into the area close enough that it's not readily noticeable that the light is from the second source. It can be tricky, obviously, but it's a decent workaround that you can have "now" instead of waiting for if/when ZOS enables a better way.

Kind of a bummer that you even need to employ such workarounds in the first place, though. I wholeheartedly agree that all light sources could use a rework pass to make them more flexible and useful. Where do I find the petition to sign? :P

Shoutout to @Andre_Noir ! Those pictures illustrate the issue very nicely! Well done! :)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    One trick you can pull is to hide "good" lights with a better radius/color/etc. in surfaces or objects near the light you prefer the aesthetic of.

I've started hiding cheap tea light candles inside things like vases or other decorations to brighten up particularly dark areas. The only problem is that they flicker, and if you use too many in a small space the flickering is a bit much.
    PCNA
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've started hiding other lights inside of lanterns. I like to use the enchanted salt lamp and floor standing vampire lamp for this. Pros: interesting color blending opportunities! Cons: have to hide base/stand.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only problem with embedding other light sources into things is it goes against the item cap which is already too low for most houses.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The game already seems to be struggling with rendering all the lights in the overland playable areas. I’ve noticed in the Reach that if you travel to a wayshrine and go some distance and then return, the wayshrine blue flame is not there when you return.

I’m going to take a guess and say that having more light sources is also bad for your housing instance for performance reasons, so having to double up on more than just a few might be undesirable.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA