The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Explorers event double exp not working?

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    xv1_me wrote: »
    Are you telling me I wasted millions of gold on writs only to not get the extra xp? I never grind so I don’t know what xp I’m supposed to get from writs at cp900. Think it was showing me 50-60k per writ

That's the appropriate amount.

For the Enchanting/Provision/Alchemy master writs, with double XP and 150% pot you should be getting around 40K XP per. And for the other master writs, with the same buffs, you should be getting around 60K XP per master writ.

This was all working fine for me last night and this morning.

I got a little over 200K/writ, counting Enlightenment, with a cake buff and a 150% scroll, on an ESO+ account. This was for enchanting writs.
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    Iarao wrote: »
    i am getting 1571 on all 7 crafts reg craft writs. i am lev 1612; crafting level on her varies. i am eso plus, but no other xp buffs running and no rings, etc. i dont know what base is. i have one running a scroll and i will try to remember to take her numbers tomorrow.

1571 is the 748.5 XP base for a daily crafting writ at level 50 (CP irrelevant) times 2.1 (210%), representing the 100% original value, the 100% bonus from the event, and the 10% bonus from ESO+.
    i am getting 1571 on all 7 crafts reg craft writs. i am lev 1612; crafting level on her varies. i am eso plus, but no other xp buffs running and no rings, etc. i dont know what base is. i have one running a scroll and i will try to remember to take her numbers tomorrow.

removed dupe info.
    Edited by Iarao on May 16, 2021 4:22PM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    xv1_me wrote: »
    Are you telling me I wasted millions of gold on writs only to not get the extra xp? I never grind so I don’t know what xp I’m supposed to get from writs at cp900. Think it was showing me 50-60k per writ

That's the appropriate amount.

For the Enchanting/Provision/Alchemy master writs, with double XP and 150% pot you should be getting around 40K XP per. And for the other master writs, with the same buffs, you should be getting around 60K XP per master writ.

This was all working fine for me last night and this morning.

I got a little over 200K/writ, counting Enlightenment, with a cake buff and a 150% scroll, on an ESO+ account. This was for enchanting writs.

That looks very high.

Enchanting master writs are considered “hard” quests, so they give 7485*1.5 base xp. (Daily writs are “very easy,” so they get 7485*0.1 base XP, and non-consumable master writs are “very hard,” so they get 7485*2.25.)

100% (base) + 100% (cake) + 150% (scroll) + 10% (ESO+) = 360% of the base xp (multiply by 3.6)

7485*1.5*3.6 = 40,419 xp for an enchanting (or alchemy writ) without enlightenment, which translates to 161,676 with enlightenment (x4)

A non-consumable master writ would have granted 242,514 (give or take a few for rounding) with all of those factors.

The other possibility is that the cake buff is stacking with the explorer’s xp buff:

7485*1.5*4.6*4 = 206,586 xp
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok had to wait for enlightenment to end. i got 1945 using a 50% xp scroll for writ turn in. with no scroll, i got 1571. this includes eso plus. ok i double checked her crafting levels. all are 50 except alchemy, which is 49. but i am reasonably certain that when i turned in the alchemy, i was still running enlightenment and so was waiting until it was gone to take the numbers. but i can't calculate stuff like @virtus753 does.

and i am pcna.

edited to correct jewelry to alchemy.
    These numbers are all correct. The 50% scroll is always from base, as is the 10% ESO+, so it 260% for those with scroll and , 210% for those without.

Also the crafting level doesn't affect the writ XP, only the character level. So a level 50 doing iron writs gets the same gold and xp as a level 50 doing rubedite writs. The mat rewards are different, of course.

The other possibility is that the cake buff is stacking with the explorer’s xp buff:

It does stack, yes. Explorer's xp buff is separate from all other xp sources.
    Edited by PeacefulAnarchy on May 16, 2021 9:01PM
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed this on Friday night (AEST) and found that of the two characters I ran through nDSA one got the XP and the other didn't.

Interestingly, the one that did get it still had a cake bonus from the previous event as I hadn't logged in with it since and the 2x sources of double xp per stacking. On that character I was getting 15m/hr xp (with a 150% scroll) while on the other character with no other sources of xp buffs it was 2.5m/hr, which is what I get on any day of the week without xp scrolls.
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ok had to wait for enlightenment to end. i got 1945 using a 50% xp scroll for writ turn in. with no scroll, i got 1571. this includes eso plus. ok i double checked her crafting levels. all are 50 except alchemy, which is 49. but i am reasonably certain that when i turned in the alchemy, i was still running enlightenment and so was waiting until it was gone to take the numbers. but i can't calculate stuff like @virtus753 does.

and i am pcna.

These numbers are all correct. The 50% scroll is always from base, as is the 10% ESO+, so it 260% for those with scroll and , 210% for those without.

Also the crafting level doesn't affect the writ XP, only the character level. So a level 50 doing iron writs gets the same gold and xp as a level 50 doing rubedite writs. The mat rewards are different, of course.

That sounds like a bug. No other event xp bonuses stack.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

and i am pcna.

Actually, if you think about it, it might not be a bug.

The Explorer's XP buff doesn't show up under the list of active effects on the Character sheet, but the other XP buffs do-- even the ESO Plus buff. This "proves" nothing, but does suggest that the Explorer's XP buff is being handled differently (separately) from the other events' XP buff.

As I understand it, when one event's XP buff is still active at the beginning of another event that has its own XP buff, the older event's XP buff remains active but its description changes to that of the new event's XP buff. I've never seen this, myself, as the older event's XP buff has always worn off on all of my characters by the time the next event comes along. (I know there are occasionally back-to-back events, but I don't remember two back-to-back events which had XP buffs, and if there were any then I wasn't paying attention to what the descriptions on the Character sheet said.) Again, this "proves" nothing, but it does suggest that the events' XP buffs are considered to be the "same" buff in some sense, and the only thing different about them (aside from what you must do to activate the buff) is the description.

Finally, the Explorer's XP buff is always active during the Explorer's event, whereas the other events' XP buff must be activated in some way and expires when its timer runs out.

Putting these facts together suggests that the Explorer's XP buff is different (separate) from the other events' XP buff, which might mean that it does stack with the other events' XP buff.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

and i am pcna.

Actually, if you think about it, it might not be a bug.

The Explorer's XP buff doesn't show up under the list of active effects on the Character sheet, but the other XP buffs do-- even the ESO Plus buff. This "proves" nothing, but does suggest that the Explorer's XP buff is being handled differently (separately) from the other events' XP buff.

As I understand it, when one event's XP buff is still active at the beginning of another event that has its own XP buff, the older event's XP buff remains active but its description changes to that of the new event's XP buff. I've never seen this, myself, as the older event's XP buff has always worn off on all of my characters by the time the next event comes along. (I know there are occasionally back-to-back events, but I don't remember two back-to-back events which had XP buffs, and if there were any then I wasn't paying attention to what the descriptions on the Character sheet said.) Again, this "proves" nothing, but it does suggest that the events' XP buffs are considered to be the "same" buff in some sense, and the only thing different about them (aside from what you must do to activate the buff) is the description.

Finally, the Explorer's XP buff is always active during the Explorer's event, whereas the other events' XP buff must be activated in some way and expires when its timer runs out.

Putting these facts together suggests that the Explorer's XP buff is different (separate) from the other events' XP buff, which might mean that it does stack with the other events' XP buff.

Oh, I'm sure its mechanical difference from the XP buffs activated by tools is what's allowing it to stack.

I'm also sure I've never seen a ZOS employee state that two event buffs from different events are supposed to stack, and the fact they made the others mutually exclusive also suggests we aren't supposed to be getting two event buffs at the same time.

Just because they do stack in game doesn't meant that's intended. It would be a first for ESO, to the best of my knowledge.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because they do stack in game doesn't meant that's intended. It would be a first for ESO, to the best of my knowledge.

Something in the game that works in a manner which is not intended would be a first for ESO? Sorry, I couldn't resist spinning your comment that way. :)

My first inclination was to assume that the Explorer's event XP buff doesn't stack with the XP buffs from other events. If you look back at an earlier post I made-- possibly in the General forum, in a thread that got locked because ZOS wanted everyone to post in this thread instead-- I said that, AFAIK, event XP buffs don't stack with each, "Never have. Never will."

However, as the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding.

At that time I was under the impression that people were saying the buffs weren't stacking as expected, so my comment was intended to explain why they weren't.

But if they actually are stacking, then presumably it's because they're fundamentally different buffs, meaning different in their nitty gritty details.

As to whether the stacking was intended or unintended, I guess that's for ZOS to know and us to wonder about. :)

EDIT: Found it-- https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7253620#Comment_7253620
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on May 18, 2021 7:38AM
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Explorer's event was first run in November and, then too, the XP buff stacked with remaining event buffs. They chose to run it mechanically different from all the other event buffs as a permanent buff during the event, as opposed to a tool/memento buff that overwrites previous tool/memento buffs when activated.

Could this be an oversight? Sure, but there's no indication that it is.
    As I understand it, when one event's XP buff is still active at the beginning of another event that has its own XP buff, the older event's XP buff remains active but its description changes to that of the new event's XP buff.
    Not quite, the description remains the same and you continue with the old buff. If you use the tool/memento for the new buff then it overwrites the old one, in the same way reapplying it before it expires resets the timer. So the game does see them as different buffs, but in the same category where you can only have one at a time.

• virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Something in the game that works in a manner which is not intended would be a first for ESO? Sorry, I couldn't resist spinning your comment that way. :)

OK, that made me laugh! :)
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Due to the age of this thread, and the fact it contains information that is now out of date, we have gone ahead and closed it down. If anyone would like to continue discussing this subject, or are having issues with the EXP not working properly, please feel free to create a new thread for discussion.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.