The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

I think not making companions customizable is a huge missed opportunity.

Selminus
Selminus
✭✭✭✭
I don't understand this decision. Who not make these nameable and rollable like at character create? Why do you pick for us? I could have made thousands of cooler toons. Imagine the creative combos people would come up with and all of the RP value. I don't get it, man.
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cause then you'd buy only one for most ppl, rather than selling and creating a branded character. Not to mention they come with a storyline, which would be impossible if they were simply our own creations.
    Argonian Master Race
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would have only cared about them if I could customize them myself, rather like the pawns in Dragon's Dogma. At least they would have been useful then for RP purposes, but as they are now I won't be touching them.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Lephrel
    Lephrel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selminus wrote: »
    I don't understand this decision. Who not make these nameable and rollable like at character create? Why do you pick for us? I could have made thousands of cooler toons. Imagine the creative combos people would come up with and all of the RP value. I don't get it, man.

They would have to do the voice lines for every race and both genders. On top of that, the associated quests would need to be very generic, because certain backstories might not make sense (what if the parents of an Argonian companion drowned lol?).

Tbh I really don't care for the companions anyways. ESO has never been able to get me emotionally invested in any of the characters featured in the main quest lines. Only a handful of characters were actually decently written (e.g. Abnur, Varen) and both the quest plots and characters have been getting more bland with every expansion.

Now we get some weird relationship simulator? I even read sth about a romance option being included in future updates...
    I honestly have no interest in "bonding" with an NPC in a MMO, covid hasn't made me that desperate, besides this literally defeats the purpose of an online game haha.
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arbit wrote: »
    Cause then you'd buy only one for most ppl, rather than selling and creating a branded character. Not to mention they come with a storyline, which would be impossible if they were simply our own creations.

id rather use one of my alts with more customization.
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arbit wrote: »

id rather use one of my alts with more customization.

I'm the opposite personally. I like the idea of a character that is to be explored, and befriended. Not a huge RPer so it doesn't appeal to me to create a backstory for a character you made. I wouldn't bother with companions at all if there was no character behind the companions, just a blank slate.
    Argonian Master Race
  • Rossmann
    Rossmann
    ✭✭✭
    My take on companions : After hype ends, like a month or two later, they will probably be another furniture for houses.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should at least be able to customise their appearance. I understand that their names are set due to their storylines, but their appearances need not be.
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companion name change token.
  • Elusiin
    Elusiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just imagine, you took all of the players in Cyrodil then doubled that number. You think the lag now is unplayable, this would kill the game until quantum computers are invented because there's no amount of CPUs that could run the number of calculations (with the current game performance) it would take to have a secondary customizable character per player loaded in the game at the same time.

That is what you are asking of the developer and engineers, when it's also dependent on the average player's internet speed and distance from the game servers...

Like I hear you, and I would love this level of features added to the game, but the technical limits are just too great right now.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because I like interactable NPCs that have their own story that I get to explore.

I am perfectly happy with Companions being their own individuals. (not going to speak on their combat capabilities)

If it was one I "Made" they would have visual appeal and nothing else - no personality, no unique dialogue, no story, etc.
  • Slyclone
    Slyclone
    ✭✭✭✭
    You buy a personality (boy, girl, weird, fooĺ, lover, fighter, pessimist, whatever they can come up with) slot and customize as you wish. Simple as that.
    Edited by Slyclone on May 12, 2021 3:19AM
    That's it, that's all.
  • Slyclone
    Slyclone
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is what i hoped for. Not some NPC that i can't stand looking at.
    Edited by Slyclone on May 12, 2021 3:20AM
    That's it, that's all.
  • Supertonicbaker
    Supertonicbaker
    ✭✭✭
    Lephrel wrote: »

They would have to do the voice lines for every race and both genders. On top of that, the associated quests would need to be very generic, because certain backstories might not make sense (what if the parents of an Argonian companion drowned lol?).

Tbh I really don't care for the companions anyways. ESO has never been able to get me emotionally invested in any of the characters featured in the main quest lines. Only a handful of characters were actually decently written (e.g. Abnur, Varen) and both the quest plots and characters have been getting more bland with every expansion.

Now we get some weird relationship simulator? I even read sth about a romance option being included in future updates...
    I honestly have no interest in "bonding" with an NPC in a MMO, covid hasn't made me that desperate, besides this literally defeats the purpose of an online game haha.

Hey, you, person you, not everyone can make and keep real life friends as anyone who is unfortunate to speak to them is wondering if I’m going to eat them as some missing link type creature or why darth vader is walking around sans helmet, and rely on relationship simulators, as you call them, to feel some sort or normalcy in my life, so this companion system is right up my ally.

Not saying me though, you know, just in case you’re wondering. I’ve got tons of friends. A plethora of friends. Too many, actually. :#

Now if only Naryu would just stop playing with my heart so...
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lephrel wrote: »

This may be an online game, but it's first and foremost an Elder Scrolls game. Customisation is in its DNA.

Also, bonding with an NPC is good fun, and having boring characters is considered a drawback of MMOs, not something to aspire to.
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should at least be able to wear visible helmets.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People shouldn't always think so strict that NPC buddys are supposed to replace real life friends, lovers or other players (although I can imagine that there are some people who can get lost in that, too). It's just an addition in the game that is also found in other games and that was already there in the TES series - just now in a bit more detailed form.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would have only cared about them if I could customize them myself, rather like the pawns in Dragon's Dogma. At least they would have been useful then for RP purposes, but as they are now I won't be touching them.

Exactly my thoughts.
  • BlackTearsOfHope
    BlackTearsOfHope
    ✭✭✭
    This is the release of companions, never done in ESO.
    Like everything else in the game, there will probably be more companions and more customization, improvements as time goes on; who knows what the future holds?
    Just my thoughts on it.
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    I'll pay 2000 crowns for a blank slate create your own companion with no dialogues/quest. Just to see what the companions are like and support further refinement of the system.
    From what i hear in PTS they are going from semi-useless to completely useless with each patch.
  • Garethjolnir
    Garethjolnir
    ✭✭✭✭
    kirgeo wrote: »
    I'll pay 2000 crowns for a blank slate create your own companion with no dialogues/quest. Just to see what the companions are like and support further refinement of the system.
    From what i hear in PTS they are going from semi-useless to completely useless with each patch.

I don't know about that, they seem pretty decent. Have a look yourself, this video by HTM

Also, this by HTM
    Edited by Garethjolnir on May 12, 2021 3:52PM
    Viele grüße aus Germany. Neu Heimat.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two years from now, when there are 17 different companions in the game to choose from, this will be a non issue.

The system hasn’t even hit live in its first appearance yet. Give them a chance.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In their current state, Companions are a failure on two fronts (especially given the nerfs in the latest PTS patch notes)

1) gameplay: They aren’t valuable in combat. They fold like a wet napkin when fighting more than a single, regular mob. They don’t contribute to dps and because of their poor survivability they bring no value as a tank or healer. In fact, trying to keep them alive is actually a liability in even easy fights.

2) RP: very limited customization options are a barrier to using these companions from a character perspective.

While we never expected Companions to benefit end game players (not should they) it’s surprising that they have been implemented in a way that also doesn’t benefit casual players or RP enthusiasts.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    Think we will get a make your own companion tool, Once they have made all different combinations of Race/Gender/Class for companions?

ZOS why can't you let the players write their own story with companions?
    Is there anything wrong with a silent companion with no backstory just like our player character?

Since they appear to be pretty useless in gameplay, at the very least make them useful in Roleplay.
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭

I don't know about that, they seem pretty decent. Have a look yourself, this video by HTM

Also, this by HTM

Sorry, didn't see your reply. I am the wrong audience for companions.

I can solo almost all overland content and I have a pretty chill guild, most of whose active players I consider friends. I'm do vet dungeons/trials and PvP with them. I play the game more for the guild experience, love the lore but last chapter has been especially meh in the story department.

I'm ok with pugging normal dungeons with random people, slowing down if they need the story "just mention in chat" and helping if they are new. Fake tank/heals never matter there.

The only use they have for me is RP, which I am not all that into. I make up some stories as to why my characters are where they are at sometimes.

I hate extra grind added as a feature, harped on about it when JC was added in Summerset as a grindier crafting option you have to pay for.

You should see from my play style that the current form of companion is useless for me in every form.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anything wrong with a silent companion with no backstory just like our player character?

Since they appear to be pretty useless in gameplay, at the very least make them useful in Roleplay.

For me a silent companion without backstory would be totally useless for any RP purpose. Their stories and the interaction with them, however, seems the most interesting part so far.

• kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    @Garethjolnir don't mean to make multiple posts but had to chime in on the HTM video you posted.

I like his videos mostly, not saying he is being disingenuous but the companion is parted in a spot where it is not being attacked by the WB or adds. How often can you get such a situation in the game?

That was merely a test in what appears to be somewhat of a controlled environment.
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »

For me a silent companion without backstory would be totally useless for any RP purpose. Their stories and the interaction with them, however, seems the most interesting part so far.

Interesting. Most people I spoke to in RP guilds (nothing erotic) have said having a voice less, blank slate of a character is much better for RP as they can fill in their motivations and such. Maybe a PC is different from an NPC for RP.
    Its only of casual interest to me.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so glad that it is NOT the case. Exploring stories with a colorful cast of characters has always been a selling point of the Elder Scrolls series. I want fleshed out, fun to listen to, actual characters. Not a mannequin that moves.
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I am so glad that it is NOT the case. Exploring stories with a colorful cast of characters has always been a selling point of the Elder Scrolls series. I want fleshed out, fun to listen to, actual characters. Not a mannequin that moves.

Well, I stand corrected. If people prefer characters with fixed backstory/features and motivations who am I to oppose. I'll look at the other things this chapter has to offer and decide if its worth buying at full price.

Maybe they will add a system for custom companion where we pick the race/gender/class in the future. Not bothered either way. Like I said RP is not a hill I'm willing to die on.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »

Interesting. Most people I spoke to in RP guilds (nothing erotic) have said having a voice less, blank slate of a character is much better for RP as they can fill in their motivations and such. Maybe a PC is different from an NPC for RP.
    Its only of casual interest to me.

Sure, if I have a silent/blank NPC as companion then I can think of any possible role for him and make up a story in my imagination. But there is no real interaction for me in the game, the companion would be just a mute follower like a noncombat pet. At least the first time we play with them, the companions' reactions will be unpredictable and the relationship will either develop in a positive or negative way, I think that´s an interesting aspect.

Edited by Lugaldu on May 12, 2021 5:24PM